Help pick a scope LHT vs HV-5

This is going on a Tikka t3x lite 7mm.
Vortex LHT 3-15X42 or Leupold 3-15X44.
Looking for advice, will be used for mule deer and elk. Range is out to 600 yards.
Thanks for your time in advance.

nobody

WKR
Neither One

Nightforce, SWFA, Trijicon

Welcome to Rokslide

Well that's just stupid. 🤣

All kidding aside...if you're dead set on MOA then have a look at the riflescope field evaluation subforum in the Long Range forum. Then choose you an MOA scope.

eric1115

WKR
Trijicon Credo or NF SHV 3-10 if you want SFP, MOA, and that weight/price ballpark.

Dark horse candidate would be a used LRHS in MOA if you're flexible on FFP/SFP, I love mine. Not super easy to find, as most were MIL and it seems like most people who own them want to keep them.

OP
H
Neither One

Nightforce, SWFA, Trijicon

Welcome to Rokslide
The NF I was looking at was 10.9 oz heavier. And ffp.
Well that's just stupid. 🤣

All kidding aside...if you're dead set on MOA then have a look at the riflescope field evaluation subforum in the Long Range forum. Then choose you an MOA scope.
Lol, is mils that much better? Haven't given it any thought. Been MOA all my life. Also sfp to save on weight and simplify the reticle.

eric1115

WKR

Lol, is mils that much better? Haven't given it any thought. Been MOA all my life. Also sfp to save on weight and simplify the reticle.
The NF SHV 3-10 is 22 oz, SFP, and available in MOA. More importantly, you won't have problems with zero shifts or dialing like you may (probably will?) with Leupold or vortex.

I think FFP is much simpler, as wind holds are correct at any magnification. 10x max starts to make sense, but needing 15x for accurate wind is foolish IMO.

Simple answer, yes. FFP is also better, although I still have a couple Nightforce 2.5-10.

I’ve owned both the leupold vx5 and vortex LHT. Similar scopes, sfp, zero stop, illuminated reticle…. There are better choices if you want durability in the backcountry…

OP
H
The NF SHV 3-10 is 22 oz, SFP, and available in MOA. More importantly, you won't have problems with zero shifts or dialing like you may (probably will?) with Leupold or vortex.

I think FFP is much simpler, as wind holds are correct at any magnification. 10x max starts to make sense, but needing 15x for accurate wind is foolish IMO.
Thank you, I will look into it. Much appreciated!

nobody

WKR
If I were you, I’d take the weight penalty in exchange for a scope that works as designed. 11 oz is a small price to pay for a scope that will stay zeroed, track, and function as an aiming device (a scope’s one and only job). I bet if you tried, you could cut that weight from 20 other places.

And FFP will become your best friend once you learn how it works.

Come to the dark side, you’ll be happier in the long run. We promise.

Until a few years ago I was a second focal plane MOA scope person. Once I learned FFP and MILs shooting has become simpler FOR ME. Both work fine, but I found MILs to be faster in the field. FFP is nice because holds apply regardless of magnification.

The SWFA 3-15x42 with Milquad reticle is not heavy and the reticle is a great general purpose (i.e. not too "busy") reticle.

OP
H
Thank you guys for your input. I have spent months on researching, and narrowed done to these 2 scopes. Now back to the drawing board.

Afhunter1

WKR
I still like MOA and SFP scopes. Nightforce are my favorite. I also have MIL/FFP but I don’t see the romance for a general hunter who doesn’t shoot much. I won’t shoot at an animal where I have to hold for wind I’m just not that good and don’t have the time to get that good. I’d draw my line at game at about ~750yds with zero wind. I do hunt a lot in thick timber and that’s where FFP suck in my opinion. MOA vs MIL is a wash for me. If I range a target and it says 35MOA or 10mils I don’t see how one is harder to do than the other. Your turning elevation knob same amount for both. I could see using mil exclusively if you had a spotter calling shots but I’m usually a lone ranger. Pick what you like and it will work for you.

Just make sure it’s a “good” scope.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I’d take the LHT. Great glass, turrets are good, love the zero stop and love the locking turrets all in a 19oz package. I have nothing bad to say after 3 years of heavy hunting use. But lots of guys on this thread with zero experience willing to share their “knowledge”!

Low to mid magnification scopes work well with SFP. If you're shooting far enough to need to hold for wind, being at max power of 9-10x is not far off of where you'd want to be at anyway.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I like my LHT. Have a VX6 too. Prefer the LHT. Just got a trijicon though and for a very minor (2oz) weight penalty, I’m excited to have a bit more confidence in its durability. The drop tests tell a good story on the ones that have been tested.

They are cheaper than both too!

OP
H
I like my LHT. Have a VX6 too. Prefer the LHT. Just got a trijicon though and for a very minor (2oz) weight penalty, I’m excited to have a bit more confidence in its durability. The drop tests tell a good story on the ones that have been tested.

They are cheaper than both too!
What model did you go with?

Tahoe1305

WKR
What model did you go with?
I have the LHT 4.5-22, VX-6HD 3-18, and tomorrow should arrive the Credo HX 2.5-15x42.

For the trijicon I was torn. I got the Credo for half the cost as the tenmile. If prices were a bit closer I would have got the 3-18. Personally I don’t find a FFP “that” helpful for hunting. 80% of the shots aren’t hold overs and likely hardly any dialing.

Those shots that I do want to hold over or dial, I feel like I’m pretty close to 15x power (at least on my 4.5-22 anyway) and the reticle matches anyway.