Help me update my setup

I've been shooting the same setup since about 07. It always worked for me and I never saw a reason to change anything. But part of the plastic housing on my sight is cracked and vibrates. I started looking at sights and realized a lot has changed. I'm hoping someone here can help guide me or make some suggestions. I currently have a 3-pin fixed from cobra. I'm not sure of the exact model. This is strictly a hunting bow and I rarely shoot past 40 yds. I'm on a budget and don't need the latest and greatest. Id be happy with something a couple years old that i can find in the classifieds.

While I'm changing the sight I might as well look at the rest. I currently have a NAP Quick Tune 800. The new rests I've looked at look pretty high tech in comparison.

The bow is a switchback xt if it makes any difference.

Thanks

big44a4

WKR
I've been shooting the same setup since about 07. It always worked for me and I never saw a reason to change anything. But part of the plastic housing on my sight is cracked and vibrates. I started looking at sights and realized a lot has changed. I'm hoping someone here can help guide me or make some suggestions. I currently have a 3-pin fixed from cobra. I'm not sure of the exact model. This is strictly a hunting bow and I rarely shoot past 40 yds. I'm on a budget and don't need the latest and greatest. Id be happy with something a couple years old that i can find in the classifieds.

While I'm changing the sight I might as well look at the rest. I currently have a NAP Quick Tune 800. The new rests I've looked at look pretty high tech in comparison.

The bow is a switchback xt if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Big fan of hamskea rests. A trophy taker sight would likely fit the budget and be basic yet reliable.

MattB

WKR
You might look at a Spot Hogg fixed pin sight. They are very durable, and I have been shooting the same two since about when you last updated your set-up.

dtrkyman

WKR
A lot of the new sights and rests will cost about as much as your bow is worth.

On a budget I would look at trophy ridge sights.

Arrow rest I like a limb driver from vapor trail.

Bump79

WKR
It doesn't look like some of the people who've responded have read you're post.. It's like people have never been on a budget before.

I'd get this Black Gold sight and QAD from this guy if still available. Offer them a price to take the both off his hands and might make a deal.

A little better QAD
A little better Hamskea

New options:
For the price - I don't think that you can beat a CBE Tactic Micro. Or CBE Tactic Hybrid. I'd skip trophy ridge personally.

Even a QAD Hunter rest will be a improvement over what you've got.

Marble

WKR
You might look at a Spot Hogg fixed pin sight. They are very durable, and I have been shooting the same two since about when you last updated your set-up.
This is the route I would go. I like the adjustment capabilities and durability.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

180ls1

WKR
Stick with a 3-pin if that's what you are comfortable with. Adding pins can cost you game, it did for me.

chav0_12

FNG
I've been using a Rip Cord Code Red since about 2011 or 2012. I don't mind the rest, though it can slap the shelf. The next rest I'll be getting is a QAD UltraRest. Likewise, I've been shooting Black Gold sights since the same time. At first I had a 7-pin fixed sight that got me to 80 or 90 depending on where I set the first pin. I've since bought one of their 5-pin sliders, I think it might be an Ascent (I bought it used), I added the Wing Truss dovetail mount to it. I will likely update this to something with micro-adjust at the same time I switch to the QAD (this will probably be when I get a new bow). I know I was piecing things together and putting them on my old bow in preparation to get a new one. I was able to get used to the new sight. This might be something fun to do, try some new stuff, if you don't like it put it in the classifieds.

nphunter

WKR
Pretty much any cheap sight will be better than the cobra. A cheap truglo will work fine and you can find them for super cheap on eBay, there are dozens for under $25. A used QAD rest is what I would buy as well and can be had for $30-$50 used, there is a
Mathew’s branded QAD MX with all their hardware on eBay for $53 shipped.

An older used spot hogg fixed pin sight and a whisker biscuit if you just want simple and reliable

There is no way I would buy a used QAD (or a new one) but that may not be a popular opinion. They have been the most fickle rests I’ve used. A used hamskea would be safe, or one of the lower model limb drivers.

OP
H
I appreciate all of the feedback. After reading all of the responses I'm leaning towards getting a couple different sights off the classifieds to see what I like and sell whatever I don't use. For a rest I'm really considering a whisker biscuit for simplicity and price.