Help me understand the ballistics here...

richl025

FNG
Testing out different factory loads in my brand new Tikka .308...

I know different rifles just seem to prefer different loads (for no good reason), so I bought a few different loads to test.

I can completely understand why some groups are wider than others, but why the hell is the bottom group clustering several inches to the left? Slightly high or low I can understand as a function of velocity, but what is happening to this one load that is causing it to group to the left? Are the bullets spiralling like a football? (And if I had shot out to 200m it might be to the right then?) Or are these bullets literally exiting the barrel with a slightly leftward trajectory?

This is more of an academic question, since obviously I chose the cartridges from the middle group, but this aroused my curiosity, and I wanted to see if anyone has a good explanation

(FTR, these are 6 shot groups at 100m - five shots fired in a slow series at each target in series, and then a final shot with each of the tested cartridges at the end to try & control for barrel heating and/or fouling. Yes, I am a crappy rifle shooter, and the size of the groups is probably at least partially my poor form...)

Attachments

• IMG_1753.JPG
    IMG_1753.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 47

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Different bullet weights, powder charges, etc will all effect your harmonics and where the bullets are impacting. For example when you put a suppressor on it doesnt always effect just vertical, it can change your zero horizontally too.

Yep. Watch a super slow-mo video of barrel whip. You will see the muzzle moves in a circular pattern, not just up and down.

Your form will also dictate changes in point of impact. Were all of those loads using the same weight of bullet?

I’ve had similar experiences with handloads in 7 MM 08 and 30-06, both tikkas. Variations in powder charge with the same projectile tend to create vertical POI differences. Sometimes a different projectile will tend to move POI horizontally, or both horizontally and vertically. I would attribute it to harmonics.