Help me pick out an elk muzzy for my NV tag

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I decided to try the better draw odds of muzzle loader and put a few muzzy choices on my application. I was either going to get a new 7mm PRC elk rifle or a muzzleloader. Well I drew a really great muzzy elk tag in 104, 108, 121 north of Ely, NV and now I need a muzzleloader to get the job done. I'm looking in the $300-700 range. I was looking at the MR-X open sight model and liked the extra barrel length and sight length, but have seen a few posts with people having issues with the sights and poor QC on those. Should I just go with the Optima and add the Williams peep sights or is there something else in that price range that is a better firearm. The Traditions Pursuit VAPR XT looks nice (1:24), but I haven't heard great quality from Traditions either. I figure I might get into this and apply for more muzzleloader hunts in the future so I would like to get a rifle that will last and perform well. Just must be .45 cal or larger barrel and open sights. Thank you

Last edited:
OP
MarkOrtiz

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
Another option I am thinking of is the CVA Optima V2 LR thumbhole .50 Cal Nitride/Cerakote. I would have to add a front sight to this and replace the scope mount with a peep sight. Maybe the ace in the hole scope mount peep sight combo. It would be more work, but would it be better product?

If you get a CVA I would definitely change the sight out immediately. They use a huge fiber optic and it’s really hard to be accurate. Congrats and good luck!

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Haven’t had any issues with my optima, just installed the Williams sight this week. It seems to be a good muzzle for the money.

Attachments

• CC01E251-70DD-4B65-A3E5-03E2BFB55679.jpeg
    CC01E251-70DD-4B65-A3E5-03E2BFB55679.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 22

Oilcan

FNG
I drew the same tag as you but as a NR.
I use a CVA Accura V2 with the thumb hole stock.
50 cal with the Williams peep sight this set up is pretty darn accurate for the price.
Im like you more of an opportunity muzzle loading Hunter. If I was strictly hunting ML I would probably upgrade but it works for me. Good luck.

SwiftShot

WKR
I picked up a CVA Wolf for my Oldest Boy. That thing is insanely accurate. Use three 50 grain pellets with a Hornady Sabot 250 grains. Open sights it will print a clover at 100 Yards. Basically it out shoots the shooter. I can keep it softball groups out to 200 but my eyes are not as good as my boys anymore. I cannot say enough about that muzzleloader. I am sure more expensive one do great but really how far are you shooting with a muzzleloader? I mean under 4 inches at 200 yards open sights.

02sedona

FNG
I purchased an optima .50 cal in stainless last year for my nv muzzy mule tag north of Elko. I’m spending most of my time on foot and not on an atv or sxs. I will drive to a location and hike from a reasonable distance. I was happy hiking around with the cva optima with its weight and barrel length. The shorter barrel length was nice to have when hiking up creek beds the where lined by trees and brush. The optima has the shorter barrel length compared to that of the accura/paramount models if you really wanted to stretch out your shots.

I was not able to find a more affordable traditions or cva wolf muzzleloader to check out before my season started. I did find one recently at Cabelas and it made me happy with my purchase of the cva optima that I bought (while it was $50 off msrp). I lusted after the more expensive cva paramount model’s until I picked them up at my local Scheels and felt how heavy they were.

I’m limited by my vision and accuracy on targets with open sights. My personal comfort level with open sights on a muzzleloader is 150 yards for taking an animal so the shorter barrel length was not as much of a factor for me. I have not had a chance to check out the Williams sights. They sound great but also add roughly $100 to the cost of the rifle.

My experience was with cheddite 209 primers, white hot pellets(3) and power belt bullets elr 330g.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I had a CVA Wolf some years back and it didn't shoot as well as the newer ones. Traded it for a shotgun.

More recently got an Optima. Sighted it last year and it cloverleafs at 120 yds. Real happy with it so far. Shooting 110 or 120 gr Triple 7 and 225 gr FTX in a crush rib sabot.

A little time on the range and I'm sure it would work well to 200 yds with that peep sight you are talking about.

Of the options you have listed I would suggest the Optima. It has an "onboard" ram rod making it a lot less easy to forget back at the pack if you need to drop your gear for a stock. It would suck real bad to need a follow up shot and not have the rod to do so.

I have a CVA Accura v2 and just got my Williams peep installed and shot this weekend. I highly recommend getting that sight and using one of the crosshair inserts. True game changer.

I don't know what bullets you're planning on using but No Excuse muzzleloader bullets have really caught my eye. they seem to be accurate and the price is hard to beat. they are heavy and will handle elk no problem.

OP
MarkOrtiz

MarkOrtiz

Lil-Rokslider
I went to the neighbors today. He has an Encore Pro Hunter and a Knight MK-85. Both in a 10/10 condition. I decided to borrow the Encore. It has the 209x50MAGNUM barrel on it. I have a range bag full of cleaners, antisieze, tools, grease, spare parts etc to use with it.
I now have plenty of time to research and work up a load and practice before hunting season.
When I got home he called and said if I would like the MK-85 he would sell it to me. I think I will probably get it from him, I can tell already, I’m probably going to have a collection of these.
I also grabbed 8 Oz of BH209 from Sportsman’s and ordered 200 Federal 209A primers and the 290 Barnes Spitfire TMZ bullets. I can’t wait to try this out.