Help me find a hip pack

I've been using the Sitka Ascent 8 for years when doing spot & stalk in the warm weather. It holds my water bladder, snacks, calls, GPS, InReach Explorer, wind checker, flashlight, headlamp and other basics. This is for run and gun hunts, strenuous archery seasons hunts in areas where the vehicle or camp is not a long hike (to retrieve my Kifaru DT1). I like the hip pack and not having a hot and sweaty back but the design is weak, sometimes the buckle comes undone and I cannot put a sidearm holster on the belt.

I prefer a crossdraw holster attached to my pack belt. Is there a comparably small & lightweight hip pack that is more secure and will allow me to put a holster and knife on the belt? Price is not an issue.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Might as well stay with Kifaru https://store.kifaru.net/tailgunner-ii-1000ci1638-p53.aspx

Plenty of attachment points to add pockets or a pistol, should be able to use your gun bearer as well if you get the optional shoulder straps and omni belt. Better hurry though as kifaru has discontinued it.

I definitely want a pack that is designed to hold a hydration bladder (2-3L) and secure the hose like the Sitka hip pack. I cannot slide a leather holster onto the tailgunner belt and expect it to cinch up. Anyone else?

dotman

WKR
Well with a little thinking both options are easily solvable, good luck in your search.

Last edited:

LaGriz

WKR
View attachment 26560View attachment 26561
Bruce,
1st pack is a KOM wool lumbar pack that is holster friendly. Second is from Bison Gear and I own the "Pack Idaho" version of this wool pack.
Can carry both a hand gun and a knife on the left side for a cross draw. View attachment 26562 Last pic is my pack with the expandable top in use. You can see the knife sheath on the hip belt where your holster would attach. Packs are alittle over-built, but both are dead quite and more durable than I could hope. Have taken a few animals while wearing this pack. Will not restrict movement.

Good Luck with your choice - LaGriz

OP
Where's Bruce?
View attachment 26560 View attachment 26561
Bruce,
1st pack is a KOM wool lumbar pack that is holster friendly. Second is from Bison Gear and I own the "Pack Idaho" version of this wool pack.
Can carry both a hand gun and a knife on the left side for a cross draw. View attachment 26562 Last pic is my pack with the expandable top in use. You can see the knife sheath on the hip belt where your holster would attach. Packs are alittle over-built, but both are dead quite and more durable than I could hope. Have taken a few animals while wearing this pack. Will not restrict movement.

Good Luck with your choice - LaGriz

I'm getting, "Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" when I click on your links.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Does anyone have this Tenzing? It appears to be exactly what I'm looking for,

[video=youtube;V03iAp6xkew]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V03iAp6xkew[/video]

OP
Where's Bruce?
Found the TZ1250 for $145. Pretty hard to resist that deal so I'm not even gonna try. <g> What can i say? I'm a gearwhore.

RCA Dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have that tenzing. It is pretty good for what it is. The gun\bow boot thing is a pain in the ass. The side pockets bumped the rifle I sling on my shoulder, so the rifle was constantly sliding off my shoulder. The rear side pockets are pretty much impossible to get to with the pack on, and if you do get into them, you'll never get them closed. I never ran it with the hydration bladder. I did manage to pack a BT deer a couple of miles out with it, but it was pretty much the opposite of a fun time. I used the pack for a couple of years, but have gone with a Stone Glacier rig for this year. I should just sell the tenzing.