Help me decide on my first ar15

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
@Formidilosus what are your thoughts on BCM uppers? Not as good as LMT, but are they in the ballpark?

Any true “milspec” or better will function fine. BCM, Colt, DD, KAC, Geissele, Larue, LWRC, LMT, etc, etc, will all go bang. They get better from there based on mostly small differences. The LMT mono is really the only one that is actually different.

I have ran LMT for the last 15 years or so. A 16" and 10.5" gun. Never had a malfunction or breakage. The 10.5 is at 5k rounds or so, the 16" around 4k. I run them both with a RAS. They are not light would be my only gripe. I have a COLT 6960 that haven't shot yet. It is a midlength gas and medium barrel profile. So far it feels lighter and balances well. Will see if it shoots well. FN makes a good carbine as does Noveske. The 6920 seem to run well too. Lots of good choices out there.

Colby

Lil-Rokslider
Any true “milspec” or better will function fine. BCM, Colt, DD, KAC, Geissele, Larue, LWRC, LMT, etc, etc, will all go bang. They get better from there based on mostly small differences. The LMT mono is really the only one that is actually different.
Does Sons of Liberty Gun Works make the cut for good to go in your experience?

TheHammer

WKR
I have a couple. Midwest industries and dd are my top2. The Midwest is a better rig, higher quality parts. And I run their trigger in a couple other setups. Pretty happy with what they offer, maybe someone with more experience with them in comparison to something you are after can chime in.

CHSD

WKR
If I had a budget of $2500, I'd buy a completed bcm lower for $340, get a 12.5 inch bcm upper for $700, bcg for $150, for a short run and gun rifle. I'd then go buy an Aero lower, build the lower for $200 and buy the Larue completed 16 inch upper for $750, for my AR that I wanted to shoot small groups with. That's right around $2200. Then you can go get some cheap vortex diamondback for optics....that's a joke, don't put a cheap scope on an expensive gun.