Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Bergara B14 ridge or hunter

Votes: 16 8.3%
  • Tikka t3x

Votes: 142 73.6%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.8%

• Total voters
There’s a used copper weatherguard locally for 699 in .308. Seems a bit high for a used vanguard but is in good shape and looks cool.
That's not too bad of a price if it's pretty much new. The copper/bronze version like that goes for close to $750+. That is a nice color combo, I've got the weathermark in it and in my opinion a dang good looking and feeling rifle.

I don't know if that particular one is for sale by an individual or at a gun store, either way if you could talk them down to $600 out the door that would be a good deal on a nice rifle. If it's at a local gun store get them to make a package deal for you with scope, rings, and two boxes of ammo to try for $1000-1100

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
That's not too bad of a price if it's pretty much new. The copper/bronze version like that goes for close to $750+. That is a nice color combo, I've got the weathermark in it and in my opinion a dang good looking and feeling rifle.

I don't know if that particular one is for sale by an individual or at a gun store, either way if you could talk them down to $600 out the door that would be a good deal on a nice rifle. If it's at a local gun store get them to make a package deal for you with scope, rings, and two boxes of ammo to try for $1000-1100
It’s a gun store
maybe I’ll go back and ask

They are good guys there. I just haven’t decided on a weatherby for sure.

TheHammer

WKR
As previously mentioned the 110 lightweight storm… although he stated hunter which is the apex version. I do not believe that one is available anymore. I have one of the hunter models and it has served me well. Caliber- 308 168ttsx… all my 110s are tack drivers/hole stackers. This gun is 7.4lbs

Attachments

• IMG_8213.jpeg
    IMG_8213.jpeg
    394.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Dang I had a feeling Tikka would win the poll but I didn’t expect things to be so one sided!

At this point I’m leaning that used Vanguard in bronze cerakote in .308 if they give me a combo deal with a scope and rings, otherwise maybe try to sell some stuff off and go with a Tikka.

Idk if I’d want a super lite from sportsmans or a normal lite from a local shop.

The shop with the weatherby has one in 7mm mag with a wood stock. Looks awesome and is super tempting but I should probably stick with a synthetic.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I’d get the Cerakoted Mossberg Patriot and save money. They are very accurate and the trigger is good.

Or a Browning A-Bolt, especially an older used one (which had a superior design, in my opinion).
Several of those patriots around locally, but I’ve heard mixed things. I’m worried they are kind of lip stick on a pig with the fluting etc on a cheap rifle.

If your budget is tight for the Tikka, don’t rule out a Remington 700, even used.

I picked up a 700 ADL Synthetic used under $500 in 308. Even with the crappy factory stock and heavy factory trigger, it shoots lights out. I got lucky, but it is an option.

I've owned and used the rifles listed and many more that weren't. All listed will likely serve your needs, but Tikka's are in a league of their own in most every area of measure, and they're not much more money in the grand scheme of things.

The Vanguards were great when you could pick them up for $400 or so. Had several, and they were all tight groupers. But if you have to pay anything close to Tikka prices for them, buying the Tikka is a no brainier, IMO.

Only have experience with a couple RAR's, and it hasn't been bad. My main affront about them is the la k of aftermarket stocks and accessories for them. With a Tikka or 700 based design you'll be able to take it in whatever direction you care to go as far as aftermarket accessories.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like Tikka is the fan favorite but not even a little.

What caliber would you all recommend for a black bear and blacktail rifle?

I don’t plan to hunt elk any time soon, but it would be awesome to some day. A cous deer trip might eventually happen but generally I’ll be hunting northern CA. This will be my one center fire hunting rifle (aside from a sentimental 3006) for the forseable future and I’d like it to be versatile.

Was leaning toward 7mm-08 but I’m considering something heavier now, maybe 7mm mag. Thoughts?

gerry35

WKR

I don’t plan to hunt elk any time soon, but it would be awesome to some day. A cous deer trip might eventually happen but generally I’ll be hunting northern CA. This will be my one center fire hunting rifle (aside from a sentimental 3006) for the forseable future and I’d like it to be versatile.

Was leaning toward 7mm-08 but I’m considering something heavier now, maybe 7mm mag. Thoughts?
The 7mm-08 is a great choice for both as is the 308 Win. There is no real reason to go heavier than that, bullets from either won't bounce off.

I'll just leave this here...

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I'll just leave this here...

I know people use lighter calibers, but the northwest is super super thick and I’d prefer not to have to track a bear super far through thick stuff.

I’ll read through the threads.

6.5 creed for easy better factory ammo options.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I’m really thinking of going with a blued Tikka to keep the price down. The rabbit hole readings tell me that the stainless barrels rust fairly easily anyway. I think rust in the PNW climate is just something you have to deal with. Either that or the used weatherguard vanguard. I like the stock and finish of the weatherby and everything else about the tikka.

Leaning toward 7mm mag now or 7mm-08 or 308.

gerry35

WKR
I’m really thinking of going with a blued Tikka to keep the price down. The rabbit hole readings tell me that the stainless barrels rust fairly easily anyway. I think rust in the PNW climate is just something you have to deal with. Either that or the used weatherguard vanguard. I like the stock and finish of the weatherby and everything else about the tikka.

Leaning toward 7mm mag now or 7mm-08 or 308.
Don't be afraid of finding a used Tikka, lots of good lightly used guns out there.

ORhunter74

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a lot of good info from people a lot more experienced than me. I’ll share my personal experiences though for what they’re worth. I own a RA in 308 and two Tikkas in 300 WSM. I bought the RA when I first started hunting and it was fine. Then I got a wood stocked T3 Hunter and that was a huge bump in quality. Most recently I bought the Sportsman’s T3x superlite and it is MUCH lighter than my older T3 which had a wood stock. That wood stock had some of the laser engraved details peel off in an odd way after elk hunting for three days of solid rain here in the Coast Range. I would personally recommend NOT going the wood stock route if you’re in the rain frequently.

Not to get too long winded here, but I would also encourage you to get hands on all the models you’ve narrowed it down to. The Tikka action is like butta. The RA isn’t bad. And the Weatherby actions I messed with at a sportsman’s show felt like they had rocks and sand in the bolt raceways.

I believe you mentioned something about handing down the firearm you decide on. In my eyes I’d be more proud to pass the Tikkas down than the RA or any of the others. Hope this helps (if it’s not too late lol).

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a lot of good info from people a lot more experienced than me. I’ll share my personal experiences though for what they’re worth. I own a RA in 308 and two Tikkas in 300 WSM. I bought the RA when I first started hunting and it was fine. Then I got a wood stocked T3 Hunter and that was a huge bump in quality. Most recently I bought the Sportsman’s T3x superlite and it is MUCH lighter than my older T3 which had a wood stock. That wood stock had some of the laser engraved details peel off in an odd way after elk hunting for three days of solid rain here in the Coast Range. I would personally recommend NOT going the wood stock route if you’re in the rain frequently.

Not to get too long winded here, but I would also encourage you to get hands on all the models you’ve narrowed it down to. The Tikka action is like butta. The RA isn’t bad. And the Weatherby actions I messed with at a sportsman’s show felt like they had rocks and sand in the bolt raceways.

I believe you mentioned something about handing down the firearm you decide on. In my eyes I’d be more proud to pass the Tikkas down than the RA or any of the others. Hope this helps (if it’s not too late lol).
Great advice. I have had the chance to those fortunately which helped me narrow it down. if you’re in the Oregon coast range our environment is probably pretty similar in the CA b zones.

I’ll probably go synthetic, but I’m a traditional guy and I think wood looks nice lol. This 20 gauge CZ side by side is pretty much all I hunted with last year. The t3x hunter is quite a bit more at like $1100 locally when the blued synthetic tx3 kites are about 750-799.
1685507526473.jpeg

Exterior coatings are far inferior to SS for one fundamental reason: It doesn't much matter what the outside of the barrel looks like. Further, coatings will scratch and peal, leaving rust areas. Unless you want the coatings for aesthetic reasons, I wouldn't pay a dime extra for any type of coating.

If rain and humidity are a frequent reality, as they are in some areas I hunt, I'd pony up for the SS; but if it's just not in the budget, I wouldn't have a problem with going blued to be in a Tikka. Just stay on it with light oil here and there. I hunted for years with blued rigs and just got in the habit of wiping them down after being in rain - snow.

Last edited: