Votes: 16 8.3%
  • Tikka t3x

Votes: 142 73.6%
  • Other

Votes: 15 7.8%

• Total voters

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I do a lot of upland hunting but have been trying to get into big game for years. I’ve had 2 kids the last four years and I am a teacher so I have not had much time during rifle season. I sold my .308 and bought a bow last year and plan to do most of my deer hunting during archery season.

With that said I want another rifle for bear and deer hunting. Again, not a lot of experience here but hoping to build that.

Weight matters as I have to carry the rifle miles often, and will occasionally find my way up into high mountain wilderness areas.

Since rifle hunting big game isn’t my primary thing, it doesn’t need to be top of the line.

help me choose a rifle!

LightFoot

WKR
What’s your budget…

Under $1K
Savage Lightweight Hunter Storm is very light and generally very precise (tiny groups). Savage is not the smooth bolt nor magazine, but they are reliables.

$1K - 1.5K
Tikka Wideland Veil is hard to beat for the price. It’s a little heavier (and pricier) than the Tikka Superlight, but it’s threaded and cerakoted.

Most rifles over $2K are good but I don’t mess with Christensen Arms anymore.

If you have no budget, custom build with Gunwerks, McWhorter, TS Customs, Lane Precision… whoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
What’s your budget…

Under $1K
Savage Lightweight Hunter Storm is very light and generally very precise (tiny groups). Savage is not the smooth bolt nor magazine, but they are reliables.

$1K - 1.5K
Tikka Wideland Veil is hard to beat for the price. It’s a little heavier (and pricier) than the Tikka Superlight, but it’s threaded and cerakoted.

Most rifles over $2K are good but I don’t mess with Christensen Arms anymore.

If you have no budget, custom build with Gunwerks, McWhorter, TS Customs, Lane Precision… whoever.

Under 1k. The tikkas are kind of as high as I want to go. Aesthetically I really like the wood stocked t3x models, but we get a ton of rain so synthetic might be more practical along with less expensive.
Again I spend a lot more time with a shotgun than a rifle.

rootacres

WKR
I have experience with both the Bergara and the Tikka. I voted Bergara because I like some of the configurations but you can't go wrong with either. Bergara is the new kid on the block, Tikka has earned a solid reputation over the years.

Tikka 300 WM

Bergara 300 WM

LightFoot

WKR
Under 1k. The tikkas are kind of as high as I want to go. Aesthetically I really like the wood stocked t3x models, but we get a ton of rain so synthetic might be more practical along with less expensive.
Again I spend a lot more time with a shotgun than a rifle.

The Tikka 308, 30-06, or 300 Win (or WSM) is not wrong for anything from antelope to grizzly.

I think the most versatility would be in the 300 WSM (with 1-10 twist) and you can use anything from 150 copper to 215 bergers.

I think my go-to factory loads would be Hornady 200 ELD-X. I’ve also have good luck with the Federal Premium 165 TSX loads.

Your choice of ammunition is more important than your rifle choice. Same goes for the optic (so long as you have a sub-MOA rifle).

Good options for reliable optics:

Nightforce
Meopta
Trijicon

SWFA has a good reputation, too.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

You definitely can't go wrong with a tikka, the stainless lite has gotten kind of expensive and would eat up a lot of your $1k budget. I would think you would be alright with a synthetic blue model even in wet conditions, if you want to save some money to spend on a scope.
At about a pound more and around the same price as a blued synthetic t3x you can get a weatherguard weatherby that's synthetic and cerakoted, if you're more concerned with weather protection than weight.
I voted for the Vanguard, even though it is a bit heavier.

Rifle-
Chambered in .30-'06, .308, or 6.5

Tikka blued synthetic-$700-750
Sportsmatch rings- $70

Vanguard blued synthetic $550-600
Or Weatherguard $700-750
Dnz one piece- $60

Scope-
SWFA 6x-$300
Meopta optika5- $400-500
Trijicon-$450-550

Just about anyway you cut it, you're going to be in it for $1k plus with those options.

PNWGATOR

WKR
Exactly what @ResearchinStuff recommends above PLUS cut barrel to no longer than 20” and add a suppressor.

Pair it with Hornady 143 ELDX or 147 ELDM factory ammo.

Make it no more complicated than that.

The ruger American would work but I think lacks luster! I have never met a person disappointed with a tikka. I’ve seen to bergaras fail but they were very early models. Weatherby vanguard isn’t the best action feel to me. Think bite the bullet and go tikka even if it’s at top end of your budget, a year down the road you’ll be happier.

I have a pickup gun ruger predator that is dang accurate but not the most comfortable, older howa 1500 in b&c stock(vanguard sister action) accurate but heavy, tikka t3 for wife in 7mm08 that I’m pry going to steal due to weight and accuracy! Then a custom gun that might go up for sale soon as I don’t use it as much as it’s worth

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
The Tikka 308, 30-06, or 300 Win (or WSM) is not wrong for anything from antelope to grizzly.

I think the most versatility would be in the 300 WSM (with 1-10 twist) and you can use anything from 150 copper to 215 bergers.

I think my go-to factory loads would be Hornady 200 ELD-X. I’ve also have good luck with the Federal Premium 165 TSX loads.

Your choice of ammunition is more important than your rifle choice. Same goes for the optic (so long as you have a sub-MOA rifle).

Good options for reliable optics:

Nightforce
Meopta
Trijicon

SWFA has a good reputation, too.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

You definitely can't go wrong with a tikka, the stainless lite has gotten kind of expensive and would eat up a lot of your $1k budget. I would think you would be alright with a synthetic blue model even in wet conditions, if you want to save some money to spend on a scope.
At about a pound more and around the same price as a blued synthetic t3x you can get a weatherguard weatherby that's synthetic and cerakoted, if you're more concerned with weather protection than weight.
I voted for the Vanguard, even though it is a bit heavier.

Rifle-
Chambered in .30-'06, .308, or 6.5

Tikka blued synthetic-$700-750
Sportsmatch rings- $70

Vanguard blued synthetic $550-600
Or Weatherguard $700-750
Dnz one piece- $60

Scope-
SWFA 6x-$300
Meopta optika5- $400-500
Trijicon-$450-550

Just about anyway you cut it, you're going to be in it for $1k plus with those options.

Exactly what @ResearchinStuff recommends above PLUS cut barrel to no longer than 20” and add a suppressor.

Pair it with Hornady 143 ELDX or 147 ELDM factory ammo.

Make it no more complicated than that.
I live in California so no suppressors for me and copper Ammo only for in state, which is all I plan on for the next several years at least.

There’s a used copper weatherguard locally for 699 in .308. Seems a bit high for a used vanguard but is in good shape and looks cool.

Im not totally opposed to blued guns, but last time I was out during rifle season it rained steady almost the entire time. No way to completely dry off. My cerakoted howa was fine. Id prefer not having to worry about it much and would like cerakote or stainless.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

1685288488408.jpeg

Fordguy

WKR
Save some cash and buy a Ruger American. Yes, they lack the curb appeal of the Tikka, but the price is right, accuracy potential is usually moa or better (depending on ammo, scope, caliber, shooter, etc) and durability is there too. You may even be able to find one in stainless, but those are hard to come by. I've hunted in the rain and snow with standard models and never had a rust problem. I'm also usually in a fairly high humidity environment. Anyhow, just my opinion. It's your money and your choice. There are certainly more aesthetically pleasing brands. The RA is just a solid, functional, hunting tool.

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
The ruger American would work but I think lacks luster! I have never met a person disappointed with a tikka. I’ve seen to bergaras fail but they were very early models. Weatherby vanguard isn’t the best action feel to me. Think bite the bullet and go tikka even if it’s at top end of your budget, a year down the road you’ll be happier.

I have a pickup gun ruger predator that is dang accurate but not the most comfortable, older howa 1500 in b&c stock(vanguard sister action) accurate but heavy, tikka t3 for wife in 7mm08 that I’m pry going to steal due to weight and accuracy! Then a custom gun that might go up for sale soon as I don’t use it as much as it’s worth

Save some cash and buy a Ruger American. Yes, they lack the curb appeal of the Tikka, but the price is right, accuracy potential is usually moa or better (depending on ammo, scope, caliber, shooter, etc) and durability is there too. You may even be able to find one in stainless, but those are hard to come by. I've hunted in the rain and snow with standard models and never had a rust problem. I'm also usually in a fairly high humidity environment. Anyhow, just my opinion. It's your money and your choice. There are certainly more aesthetically pleasing brands. The RA is just a solid, functional, hunting tool.
Yeah reason tells me to just get an American, specially since I’m a lot more casual if a hunter than a lot of you guys here, but I am a sucker for a little curb appeal. The Americans got a lot more expensive than they used to be. My buddy bought his predator for $350 a couple of years ago and they are 519 now. That is not much cheaper than a few Bergara models or vanguard models. I guess it would still be a couple hundred bucks toward a scope.

the American in lighter recoiling chambering would be a good one to hand down to my boys when they are old enough for their first hunting rifle. Hopefully I’ll have some more skills and experience to hand down by then too!

Yeah reason tells me to just get an American, specially since I’m a lot more casual if a hunter than a lot of you guys here, but I am a sucker for a little curb appeal. The Americans got a lot more expensive than they used to be. My buddy bought his predator for $350 a couple of years ago and they are 519 now. That is not much cheaper than a few Bergara models or vanguard models. I guess it would still be a couple hundred bucks toward a scope.

the American in lighter recoiling chambering would be a good one to hand down to my boys when they are old enough for their first hunting rifle. Hopefully I’ll have some more skills and experience to hand down by then too!
I bought mine for 250, as accurate as my semi custom gun, a 6.5 predator would be a great gun for everyone in the family for pretty cheap if you’re good with the stock, or can mess with it down the road!

OP
Tleek

Tleek

Lil-Rokslider
I bought mine for 250, as accurate as my semi custom gun, a 6.5 predator would be a great gun for everyone in the family for pretty cheap if you’re good with the stock, or can mess with it down the road!
At $250 it’s be a no brainer. I’d get it and use it as a beater and upgrade to something else when I have more experience, but at 519 I’m not so sure it’s worth it. I also looked at some CVA cascades that were about the same price seemed like a step up.

Do you guys use 6.5 creed more for bear? I haven’t seen many whoppers around here but I heard their fur soaks up blood and they don’t leave a very good trail. It’s so thick in a lot of places I hunt I’d hate to lose one. I’ve never shot one before but I definitely see more bears than bucks out in the woods.

PNWGATOR

WKR
I live in California so no suppressors for me and copper Ammo only for in state, which is all I plan on for the next several years at least.

There’s a used copper weatherguard locally for 699 in .308. Seems a bit high for a used vanguard but is in good shape and looks cool.

Im not totally opposed to blued guns, but last time I was out during rifle season it rained steady almost the entire time. No way to completely dry off. My cerakoted howa was fine. Id prefer not having to worry about it much and would like cerakote or stainless.

Thanks for all the advice guys!

View attachment 558306
Ugh…