Help me choose a broadhead!!

cgill54

FNG
Hey All, this year I got a mule deer tag and a brand new Hoyt alpha x 30 to go along with the tag. I’m shooting an Easton fmj 480 grain arrow with a 100 grain FP at 279. After looking at all the options for broad heads and listening to all the opinions on them I am more confused from when I started looking. I am very intrigued by the 2 blade bleeder option like the day 6 evo or the Iron will S series. But after listening to a few podcasts the Sevr 1.5 hybrid and evolution hybrid have made there way into the discussion. Anybody have any experience with any of these broadheads? I want a quality head that will fly and perform well on an animal.

docmay

FNG
If you don't mind the price shoot the iron will. They fly as good as any broadhead I have shot. They are super sharp and durable. I routinely practice with them to 80 yards. Zero problems! I like the sevr as well. The problem with mechanical and hybrid heads is that if you lose an animal your mind will always wonder if the head didn't work. If you lose one with a fixed you know you didn't hit it right.

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion for mule deer I would for sure shoot a mechanical. Just the nature of hunting mule deer can be longer shots in the wind, so that's where a mechanical is nice because it will fly better at distances and in the wind. Mule deer obviously aren't super tough animals, at least not compared to like an elk. So penetration isn't a large concern to where you would want to shoot a fixed blade to get better pentration. So if I were you I would shoot a mechanical. A G5 deadmeat is a very nice broadhead. IMO the perfect size where it's not to big to prevent penetration but plenty big to leave a big hole. I also like a 3 blade better just because I like the idea of a hole better than a slit. So thats what I would do.

Of those you mentioned, I would choose Day 6. I know lots of folks swear by mechanicals and have great results, but I prefer simplicity and just can't bring myself to trust a mechanical head. Iron Will and Day 6 are very similar designs, but I don't want to be constantly worried about corrosion. The S35V steel Day 6 uses is much less susceptible to corrosion than IW's A2 tool steel. There are ways to mitigate the corrosion concern (i.e., keep the steel coated in oil/wax) and I understand why IW chose what they chose, but I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of hardness/toughness to gain inherent corrosion resistance.

Whatever you choose, make your choice soon so you have time to tune your new bow to the new broadheads.

Reactions: Zac

striped1

FNG
I would be cautious with expandables. Your arrow is a little slow for solid opening of a mechanical. I had an issue with that when I went to a heavier arrow and kept Rage Trypan for a year. Moving to a COC non-mechanical was much better for me.

Hedge Row

FNG
I've not messed with the Day Six but Iron Will heads are a great option. I switched from them to VPA and Cutthroats just because I found Iron Wills to be fairly tough to sharpen. I've always been leery of mechanicals (I've had a couple bad experiences), but while I haven't messed with them personally I've seen a lot of great feedback on the Sevr heads.

Dylan Sluis

Lil-Rokslider
@Dylan Sluis you posted this yesterday on a different broadhead thread and now you're recommending a head that you have zero experience with

I'm not claiming I have experience with this broadhead on animals. I am saying it is a good quality head that flies well. And from the amount of animals I have seen killed by this head I think I can claim it as good. The deadmeat is a quality head that performs well on animals because I have seen it perform well on animals. Just not my animals. I just gave a recommendation for a head he could look into.

Okie-hunter

FNG
Classified Approved
I’d also suggest looking at qad Exodus. There’s a reason it’s one of the most popular broadheads among roksliders. Extremely durable, very sharp out of box, easy to get to fly very well, 1 7/8” total cutting surface, affordable, & you can easily replace the blades.

I have had the same penetration and success with minimags as well as muzzy trocars and IW vented. I am able to shot whatever though with my arrow and bow set up. Love the minimags for blood trails.

PSE omen (2022). 30.5 draw, 70 lb DW. Easton 4mm fmj 250s, new easton system. 545g 287 fps. The omen screams

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Hey All, this year I got a mule deer tag and a brand new Hoyt alpha x 30 to go along with the tag. I’m shooting an Easton fmj 480 grain arrow with a 100 grain FP at 279. After looking at all the options for broad heads and listening to all the opinions on them I am more confused from when I started looking. I am very intrigued by the 2 blade bleeder option like the day 6 evo or the Iron will S series. But after listening to a few podcasts the Sevr 1.5 hybrid and evolution hybrid have made there way into the discussion. Anybody have any experience with any of these broadheads? I want a quality head that will fly and perform well on an animal.
For deer, my number one vote as well as votes 2-10 is for the Slick Trick Assailant. Have taken a truck load of deer with them, and never lost any. And I have had a couple less than ideal shots. I am human after all lol.

Taudisio

WKR
I’m also going to throw out the exodus. I’ve hunted a lot with expandables, the exodus has killed just as fast, even without the best shot placement. Similar arrow weight and speed to your setup, and they blow through deer. Fly with field points out to 110 yards for me, the farthest I can shoot without the fletching hitting my housing. Not as expensive as the other options, easily replaceable blades.

Thumper87

FNG
I really like the TOTA head. It flys really well and the blood trails are very good. Punches a big square hole. I feel the 2 blade fixed heads are more beneficial for a traditional bow vs a compound. The compounds have the energy to shoot a bigger head and penetrate so I tend to go that route.

MattB

WKR
There are lots of good BH’s on the market, I wouldn’t overthink this. Iron Will is never the wrong answer if you can afford them, but QAD, Slick Trick, Magnus and others make quality BH’s.

I would be cautious with expandables. Your arrow is a little slow for solid opening of a mechanical. I had an issue with that when I went to a heavier arrow and kept Rage Trypan for a year. Moving to a COC non-mechanical was much better for me.
That is completely untrue.

I shoot pretty similar weight/ velocity as the op. Kills with Exodus, rage trypan, deadmeat v1 and v2. When sharp and placed properly, they all work with minimal observable differences. All have survived very, very hard impacts and remained intact.

For me, mech heads group much better at distance and have become my go to.