HELP! Inreach to Zoleo not working…

Deucebump

WKR
Hoping to find somebody else that has had similar problems and can help me figure this one out.

I have an inreach mini, have had it for several years. My hunting partner just bought a Zoleo. Both are working perfectly with whoever we message respectively. BUT, he is not receiving messages from my Inreach on his Zoleo, and he can not initiate a conversation to mine, so I have to start it and he reply. He called Zoleo Customer support and was told all looks good on his end. I called Inreach CS and found out mine was running outdated software. So they walked me through updating it and I tried it again with CS still on the line, and they said all looks good on my end. My messages show sent, but he is not getting them. We are leaving Friday for a backcountry elk hunt and really need to be able to communicate.

Has anyone else ran into this problem or even heard of it? And if so, how was it corrected? Thanks in advance!

had issues between a buddy, he had inreach, and my zoleo. If I remember right he was trying to get me via his email messages or something like that. In the end I had to send him a direct message from my zoleo phone number to his inreach. Once the chat was established we just use that same chat for the last couple years.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Thanks for the input. That is interesting because he was told by Zoleo there was no way for him to initiate a conversation, that it had to be started by the inreach. We are headed to the trail head in about 7 hours, so we will try then!

If he still has service and you are trying to do test messages the zoleo I've read has a hard time switch back and forth to service no service.

Have him switch and stay in airplane mode.
Then send a message to his zoleo number from your inreach.

Following to see if you guys got this figured out. I just bought a zoleo and don’t want to run into this issue.

CJ19

WKR
Was this method confirmed? Inreach msg to zoleo allows for open communication either way? Just checking bc i am thinking about buying a Zoleo for a buddy and i have inreach

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Hey Guys, back from CO. And unfortunately this issue was never resolved. We tried everything imaginable and for whatever reason neither of us was ever able to get a single message from the other. To say this was extremely frustrating would be an understatement. I had no problem sending and receiving messages to and from other inreach devises throughout the week, as well as all other messages via cell phones. He had no problems sending or receiving any messages via cell phones as well. Just simply no communication between my inreach and his Zoleo. I know other says this works without issue, so Im sure it can work. But I would be cautious based on my experience.

CBB1

Lil-Rokslider
For what it’s worth we just got back from a trip and we communicated with 2 inreach one full size, one mini, to 3 Zoleos. No issues at all. I believe we ran everything like text messages. You just have to give them the number assigned to your device. Not saying your wrong but it worked for us and can be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoHntr

WKR
I will add my recent experience that I’ve been able to message from my inReach mini to my dads Zoleo for over a year, but suddenly he does not get my messages. I get his messages, but mine do not go through to him. I have yet to find a solution. All other functions work properly. It’s weird that Zoleo to inReach works fine using the same text chain we’ve always used, but my inReach to Zoleo won’t. I still don’t know which end is causing the problem..

msummer88

FNG
I have the inreach and my wife uses the zoleo. Shes it at the trailer while I’m out hunting and we had the same issue last week. Neither one of us were able to send each other messages. I ended up texting my mom and she would text my wife for me. Super annoying. Both devices worked perfectly for multiple hunts until now.

I had both to see which I liked more. Probably going to have to pick up another inreach now so I don’t have to deal with that again.

OP
Deucebump

Deucebump

WKR
Its interesting that this seems to becoming more of a problem recently than it ever used to be. Before I started this thread it was almost as if there were never any issues, now it seems to be a little more common.

Having this same exact problem. I own an Inreach and my friend owns a Zoleo. We’ve tried everything, but can’t get them to communicate.

Kroach

FNG
Just had this issue last week. No issues in September 2021 with same hunting partner. We went through all settings at camp and didn't find anything. The next day he hunted where he had service and I did not. He tried sending a message from his inreach to my zoleo and after that point it started working again. No idea why.
It was a pain the first couple days of the hunt, as we had to message our wives to relay the messages. Not sure what we did to get it to work though.

Last edited:

Kopmana

FNG
Interesting fix!
Hi, did you ever resolve this messaging issue between the Zoleo and Inreach devices? I had the same exact issues you describe. I own an Inreach and my buddies have Zoleos, and we were unable to communicate on our hunt this fall. very frustrating.

trogers861

Lil-Rokslider
We did--but unfortunately--I have no idea how. It literally just started working like two days before our hunt. Sorry, not helpful at all.