(Help for the Wife) Mathews Prima vs Chill SDX.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all,
looking for a little tech info/advice. My Wife has a Chill SDX, I was thinking about suprising her with a Prima for Christmas.
She loves her bow (I feel mostly because it's the only good bow she's ever had)
but it/ she doesn't preform like I fell they should or are capable of, after about 27 yards her groups really start to open. My two main question is the real world speed difference between the two? the SDX is rated at 330fps vs 321fps but it also went up to 29.5 draw and 70lbs vs 27.5 and 60.

I'm sure there is a fairly sizable difference between the two models being a 7 year gap. The axel to axel is the same, but I'm sure the riser is much longer on the Prime, she's a small girl, 5"2, 100lbs and pulls 40lbs, in my mind a longer feeling bow with increased speed will make a fairly big difference.

Any help would be great!
Thank you....

Speed isn't going to help with groups. I'd suspect that something with her setup isn't working for her if everything is starting to open up like that. I'm not very familiar with the chill bows. The longer riser will help some, overall I'm intrigued with the Prima. I don't think it's going to make a huge difference for her, assuming her current bow fits her correctly.

OR Archer

WKR
I started my wife with an SDX then moved her to an Avail which is similar to the Prima. The SDX has a much smoother draw. There were no real gains in speed between the two. Accuracy was the same.
sounds like her SDX needs a good tune up. That bow is a shooter. My wife currently shoots a Hoyt Axius Alpha and loves it

I agree with the other two fellas. I think a good look at her current equipment is warranted. I'm not a fan of short brace height bows like the new Prima especially for new shooters or those that don't practice as much as some of us obsessed archers. I understand why they would make a short brace for women since they usually do not pull as much weight or have as long a draw length, I just think it's a downside when it comes to accuracy.

When I started getting my wife equipment I bought her a short ata bow with a short brace height and she hated it because her groups weren't that good. I ended up buying her a Prime Centroid which is 35" ata and a 7" bh. She started loving shooting her bow since she was hitting what she was aiming at and it became enjoyable for her. I basically got her set up with target stabilizers and a hunting sight and rest.

My wife doesn't hunt so I was never worried about performance, your needs might be different.

I would suggest taking a look at her current accessories and maybe getting a couple coaching sessions for her as a gift before buying a new bow.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
Speed isn't going to help with groups. I'd suspect that something with her setup isn't working for her if everything is starting to open up like that. I'm not very familiar with the chill bows. The longer riser will help some, overall I'm intrigued with the Prima. I don't think it's going to make a huge difference for her, assuming her current bow fits her correctly.
Billy,

I should have worded it differently, I'm thinking the length will help increase accuracy, the speed would help extend her range. And I agree, it is an intriguing bow.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I started my wife with an SDX then moved her to an Avail which is similar to the Prima. The SDX has a much smoother draw. There were no real gains in speed between the two. Accuracy was the same.
sounds like her SDX needs a good tune up. That bow is a shooter. My wife currently shoots a Hoyt Axius Alpha and loves it
That's the info I was hoping for. Honestly I think the bow is sound, and in tune. She needs the tune up lol. What I really need to do is find someone really good at a shop to spend some time with her, it's to the point where my helping only seems to be hurting(they just don't listen lol)

Billy,

I should have worded it differently, I'm thinking the length will help increase accuracy, the speed would help extend her range. And I agree, it is an intriguing bow.

Pm me if you end up moving on from that chill.

I honestly don't think your gaining much, a longer riser will be more accurate, and a faster bow will carry the energy a little further. The difference tho? Not likely much. Biggest thing is that the bow fits her correctly, and is in tune. But it's not like I don't keep purchasing new bows, it's hard for me to listen to my own advice.

OP
J

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the other two fellas. I think a good look at her current equipment is warranted. I'm not a fan of short brace height bows like the new Prima especially for new shooters or those that don't practice as much as some of us obsessed archers. I understand why they would make a short brace for women since they usually do not pull as much weight or have as long a draw length, I just think it's a downside when it comes to accuracy.

When I started getting my wife equipment I bought her a short ata bow with a short brace height and she hated it because her groups weren't that good. I ended up buying her a Prime Centroid which is 35" ata and a 7" bh. She started loving shooting her bow since she was hitting what she was aiming at and it became enjoyable for her. I basically got her set up with target stabilizers and a hunting sight and rest.

My wife doesn't hunt so I was never worried about performance, your needs might be different.

I would suggest taking a look at her current accessories and maybe getting a couple coaching sessions for her as a gift before buying a new bow.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
That is great info, I appreciate everyone's feedback.

I do think some better accessories would help, and the coaching definitely would! I can move her sight 1/16" next arrow is 10" off and it's my fault lol. Honestly she does enjoy shooting and shoots great to 25 yards but get to 30 and the groups triple in size she just won't let me help her take it to that next level.

The reason in my mind for a new bow, I've been a Mathews guy for 20 plus yrs, I had the short DTX, and reasonably liked it untill I got a Monster 6, I was worried about the shorter brace height and warned against getting it, but the day I got that bow I was shooting better at 60 yrds than I did at 40 with my DXT and LOVED it. I guess I'm hoping for the same luck with her....... But it might be wishful thinking.