Help an idiot

Getting back into archery after dropping it for years. Started shooting today to get back into the groove and I noticed alot of horizontal wobble in the sight pins. I don't remember having that issue in the past, am I just rusty or is there something I need to address with the grip perhaps? Mathews Phase 4

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
Mathews factory grips are garbage (but it's probably just you being rusty).

Reactions: Zac
OP
W
Draw length and weight are the same as I shot in the past and feels really comfortable. The more I read about Mathews grips is making me wonder? Could also be that I just suck and need a ton of practice before pointing the finger at equipment.

OP
W
Mine started going to shit at 35 and I really need to shoot with one eye closed now.

I'd probably started with reminding yourself to relax your lead shoulder. More wobble with rigid muscles IMO
I might be rusty as hell but certainly can't blame it on my vision.

TheTone

WKR
I’ll go with others on saying it could be the grip. My Mathews has the same grip and while I really love the feel of it but the round back of it leads me to have some times when I have more side to side wobble than I like. I’m ditching mine soon for side plates

By horizontal wobble I assume you mean horizontal drift trying to hold steady? If that's the case, I don't think anybody holds perfectly steady on the target. Its more timing your shot to break at the right spot. If you are referring to more of a rotation in your wrist at the grip it could be your just out of practice and need more palm pressure or the grip itself isn't quite right for your hand. Before I would make any changes I would shoot more and see if it gets better as you knock the rust off and then try changing how your grip the bow to see what happens. I have always been a Hoyt guy as the Mathews have never felt good in my hand.

wapitibob

WKR
The longer the front bar, the greater the moment arm and the more that it will stabilize the hand torque. You can also forgo the front bar for a back bar, it will counter act the torque as well as offset the sight/quiver weight.

Zac

WKR
I wouldn’t even worry about it, it won’t affect anything. Some of the best to ever do it prefer a busy sight picture. I would only be concerned if your unable to hold groups together, I could care less what someone’s sight picture looks like.

OP
W
It's obviously day one after putting it down for years but groups are good. Just seems like the pin didn't have that horizontal wobble in the past like it does now.

Is it really just a back and forth horizontal movement? Sounds like draw length is too long.

Take any bars and weight off, try to get it to settle down with DL adjustments.

If you went and got a new Mathews, and got the mod for what DL you had always shot, it's probably 1/2" long.

OP
W
Is it really just a back and forth horizontal movement? Sounds like draw length is too long.

Take any bars and weight off, try to get it to settle down with DL adjustments.

If you went and got a new Mathews, and got the mod for what DL you had always shot, it's probably 1/2" long.
Yes to the 1st question. Draw length feels good but I'm far from an expert.

The 85% of next shorter will draw probably 3/8" shorter.

I prefer to have more holding tho, and they draw smoother at a lower letoff. You can manipulate things a bit tho get where you want to some degree.

I'd find a target face you can keep score with, shoot a few rounds of arrows for practice a few different days, then go a letter shorter mod and shoot a few different days again. You will probably see what works better for you.