Hello from NC

Hi All,

I stumbled on this forum last year when doing some research prior to buying an insulated outer layer for causal wear and was impressed by the info I found.

I started whitetail hunting this year in Western NC and had fun the two times I went out during our short season. Hunted from a ground blind (out of convenience) in an area neither myself or my hunting buddy had scouted with boots on the ground and I had only done a preliminary check of the topo map prior to setting out. I’d identified a decent bench on the topo map but didn’t anticipate the heavy mountain laurel thickets in that area. Rookie mistake!

Curious if anyone hear combines hunting and fishing trips or picks up a fishing rod if the hunting is slow?

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new member.

Eddie

Lowg08

WKR
I’m in WNC. Haywood county actually. Welcome. Laurel makes it hard to see but they like the cover

I’m in WNC. Haywood county actually. Welcome. Laurel makes it hard to see but they like the cover
Im in the same place as this guy, just a different part of the county... also got the same name and i dont kill big mountain deer like him.

Will confirm the Laurel makes it hard. everyone thinks these mountains are open and you can sit on one side of the mountain and look across the drain onto the other side and see whats going on. 99% of the time your not gonna see 40 yards

Lowg08

WKR
Im in the same place as this guy, just a different part of the county... also got the same name and i dont kill big mountain deer like him.

Will confirm the Laurel makes it hard. everyone thinks these mountains are open and you can sit on one side of the mountain and look across the drain onto the other side and see whats going on. 99% of the time your not gonna see 40 yards
It just takes putting in the time. Scout, scout, scout from Jan- march.

OP
M

Ain’t that the truth! My first hunt was with BIL who typically hunts from a box blind over a feeder and what looks like a golf course fairway in coastal SC. He said “After climbing that mountain this will be the best damn deer I’ve ever tasted!”

The second time out I posted up a little lower in the drainage where the laurel thickets were in pockets and the surroundings a bit more open. Once it got light I realized that I was sitting right in front a big scrape and there was a tree stand (looked to abandoned from a few years ago) chained to a tree about 25 yards away. Guess they got what they were after and could only carry the deer or stand out. Hate to see folks leaving their trash behind!

I used to fly fish small streams quite a bit so I’m used to dense rhodo but at least the water cuts you a decent walking path.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
asdew04