Hello from Kentucky!

Slim77

FNG
Hello Friends,
Just wanted to introduce myself, as a fellow FNG. I'm a Flatlander from Western Ky, the highest elevation around here is about 600'. Im In the process of e-scouting, and training my body for the Idaho Wilderness. I have extensive knowledge of hunting our local wildlife, but want to start chasing Mule Deer. I have very, very limited knowledge of one area in Idaho, along the Yellowstone Border, but it is thick with Grizzly, which is ok, just not sure I'm ready for that kind of action on my first hunting trip with my teenage son. I'm currently researching Mule Deer in General, habits, food, migration etc, also researching the different altitude zones, and the plant life in those zones, weather patterns, (which seems to be all over the place) historic wildfire areas, and how that affects the deer, etc, etc.. Not interested in Whitetail, as we have 150"+ deer around here pretty much everywhere, not interested in anything but a quality Muley, im not the guy thats gonna shoot a scrub, just to say I killed one, it will have to be a mature buck, I've never glassed, we hunt from tree stands around here, but im learning. I'm still at least 2 years away from this trip. I'm open to any advise or help, and willing to give it if I can.
I wish you all the best!
JRE

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new KY member, JRE.

Eddie

P.S. You sir, have been awarded the FNG ⭐ for the day. This award, elusive to many and coveted by all, is given for your informative and insightful intro. Well done.

OP
Slim77

Slim77

FNG
As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new KY member, JRE.

Eddie

P.S. You sir, have been awarded the FNG ⭐ for the day. This award, elusive to many and coveted by all, is given for your informative and insightful intro. Well done.
Thank You, lol.

elkguide

WKR
Welcome. I've hunted Idaho for many years and you can find so many different types of hunting/terrain in the potato state. E-scouting will help but boots on the ground are the real answer especially if you have never been hunting in the west. The "low octane air" will definitely give your lungs a little "spark knock" till you get acclimated. I live at 270' above sea level and I plan on several days to adjust every year. If you can swing it, a summer scouting/camping trip would be a great place to start getting a feel for what you're going to be in for.
Good luck and enjoy.

OP
Slim77

Slim77

FNG
Welcome. I've hunted Idaho for many years and you can find so many different types of hunting/terrain in the potato state. E-scouting will help but boots on the ground are the real answer especially if you have never been hunting in the west. The "low octane air" will definitely give your lungs a little "spark knock" till you get acclimated. I live at 270' above sea level and I plan on several days to adjust every year. If you can swing it, a summer scouting/camping trip would be a great place to start getting a feel for what you're going to be in for.
Good luck and enjoy.
Thank You!

When I search the different units, looking for what I think might be good ground, then I look at the DEM's of the area, it's very intimidating to say the least. I'm two years out still for my hunt, once I get into the best physical shape I can, I plan on coming for a scouting trip. I still have to get some better gear, the flatlander gear I have, just won't work. You have given me solid advice, and I appreciate that, I wasn't planning on coming early to acclimate, but after what you said, it makes perfect sense.

Thank You For The Solid Advice
JRE