Hell Bender vs 22mag

JCOREGON

FNG
Looking for a daypack that I can easily attach a rifle and glassing tripod and can haul meat effectively. I currently have a kifaru 44mag and like it but it’s just a bit larger than what I need. Looking at the Kifaru 22 mag and Hellbender. Anybody have experience with these two packs and care to share their thoughts?

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
You can run the 22mag and a grab it and it’s basically a hellbender.
Both can haul meat.
I liked the layout of the 22mag better with the lid pockets and internal pockets,
But if you want to attach things to the back like a bow or rifle, I didn’t like either,
I think the Stryker xl is more versatile especially with the bladder sleeve, and attachment points inside the load shelf

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
You can run the 22mag and a grab it and it’s basically a hellbender.
Both can haul meat.
I liked the layout of the 22mag better with the lid pockets and internal pockets,
But if you want to attach things to the back like a bow or rifle, I didn’t like either,
I think the Stryker xl is more versatile especially with the bladder sleeve, and attachment points inside the load shelf
Wnelson14 nails it here! I typically use the hellbender for my day hunting. But I still really like the lay out of the 22 mag. Both are similar cubic inches. You can add more belt pouches to the 22 mag as well. It just taking the bag off to attach the load shelf. Which with practice it will take you less than a minute to attach it. Adding the Sherman pocket will help a lot of attaching a rifle or bow. And also the 22 mag in MC and CB are on sale right now.

Either one will work. But, for organization, the 22 mag is going to be hard to beat. FWIW, my rifle butt rides in the side pocket of my hellbender easily. I can’t remember if it’d ride in either of the gen 22 mags I owned. So, if someone will chime in with that info, that would be the defining choice if it were me.

Keep in mind, the hellbender is going to be loose unless you have something in it or run a strap across the face of the bag. But, it is the bomb when putting stuff in the sling.

I’ve never had as much luck. breaking Kifaru bags off the frame as described above. Yes, it doesn’t take a lot and isn’t a big deal. But, the buckles on the hellbender is much quicker. Which ironically is why the bag is a little looser when not loaded or stuffed with a little clothing.

SLM

FNG
The 22 Mag IMO is the best day pack lay out/size amongst all packs, just wish the Kifaru frame worked for me.

OP
J

JCOREGON

FNG
Wnelson14 nails it here! I typically use the hellbender for my day hunting. But I still really like the lay out of the 22 mag. Both are similar cubic inches. You can add more belt pouches to the 22 mag as well. It just taking the bag off to attach the load shelf. Which with practice it will take you less than a minute to attach it. Adding the Sherman pocket will help a lot of attaching a rifle or bow. And also the 22 mag in MC and CB are on sale right now.
Any thoughts on running the 22 mag
Any thoughts on using either with the 26inch frame I already have? Would it be better to sell my frame and buy a smaller one? Also I’ve been using the gun bearer attached to the back of my pack to transport rifle and it works ok but wondering if there is a better option.

Kenneth@Kifaru

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
Any thoughts on running the 22 mag

Any thoughts on using either with the 26inch frame I already have? Would it be better to sell my frame and buy a smaller one? Also I’ve been using the gun bearer attached to the back of my pack to transport rifle and it works ok but wondering if there is a better.
Keep the 26" frame and you can just detach the 44 mag and throw on whatever bag you get. the 22 mag is a great bag. but like what was said above. the hellbender is another option. the load shelf is already ready to go the hellbender. the only difference is the bag will looser on the frame. I have a found a way to really get it pretty tight. But it wont be as tight as the 22 mag attached to the frame. You can email me as well [email protected]

and for the Gun bearer I run it on the waist belt. and the gun goes between my arm and attaches to the quick detach buckle. being in Grizz country its nice to have it ready.