Heat exhaustion/stroke

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Just a reminder to y’all doing 3D shoots in the heat drink plenty of water and stay cool best you can. I’m 47 and took my first ride in an ambulance this Saturday. We had our panhandle 50 and an iron man shoot its a 3 day shoot but since I had to work for 2 of those days I tried to do it all in half a day after work in very hot and humid weather. I made it to 36 targets and it just hit me like a punch in the face I got dizzy my hands and feet cramped up my heart was racing so they picked me up in a side by side and took me to the club house. I sat in there eating watermelon and drinking electrolytes but didn’t get better so I called my wife to come pick me up and tried to stand up but soon as I was up to my feet back to the tile floor I went was shaking uncontrollably they asked if I need an ambulance and I told them no it will pass well it didn’t pass and the next thing I know I’m being loaded up in an ambulance. They put like 3-4 bags of fluids in me gave me some other crap for nausea took my wet clothes off me cause I was soaked to my socks I had on a Sitka sun shirt and Kuiu katana pants. After all the blood work and fluids I started to feel a little better so they sent me home. my wife fed me and then I went to bed then I sat on my butt all day today. Feeling much better and Monday morning ima head back out to finish what I didn’t shoot it won’t count but I still wanna finish it. So listen to your body I didn’t cause it gave me a few warnings I just figured it pass if I slowed down…. God Bless all stay cool out there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Heat stroke is a serious condition. Glad you recovered. Hydrate, like twice as much as you think. And not just plain water, electrolytes as well.

JK47

FNG
Glad you recovered. Dehydration ain’t no joke.

When I hit the 3D range, I carry a Nalgene or insulated water bottle carabinered to on of my belt loops. It’s a giant pain in the ass…..swings around, pulls my pants down….BUT….thats what reminds me it’s there. And why I have it. The more I drink, the lighter it gets, and the less of a pain in the ass it is.

TaperPin

WKR
Good post. When someone stops sweating and feels like crap check your water intake.

For anyone in hot weather sports, outside construction, or just sitting at the beach, the easiest way to tell on a daily basis if you’re getting enough water is weighing yourself in the morning and after work or workouts. Water weighs 8 lbs a gallon so every two pounds is a quart low.

Firefighting or hiking I always seem to be the one that notices someone struggling with dehydration. Normally it’s inexperienced first or second year firefighters, or hikers out of their element on big high altitude trails. By the time they are in trouble, they are at least 3 quarts low - the first thing I’ll do is sit them in the shade and require downing a quart before we do anything else. We’ll take the time to down the second quart on the hike out. They can feel like crap, puke if they have to, but they need to get as much water in their system as possible.

Americans have such a high sodium diet, serious problems from electrolyte shortage are rare - trying to focus on electrolyte drinks won’t get as much water in your system.

The poster child for dehydration was a young carpenter not used to working in the heat - every afternoon he was a slug and felt like crap. His idea of a lot to drink was a single gatoraid bottle for the entire day, while the rest of us were going through a gallon or more. We had to bring a scale to the jobsite weigh him at the beginning of shift and when he started feeling like crap - he was over 3 quarts low every day.

OP
H

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Good info didn’t even think about high sodium diet but I try and stay away from sports drinks for the most part and drink water at work after it’s been a while with sweating a lot and I’ve had a lot of water I will grab one just to try and get some back In me at least that’s my thought.. thx for the well wishes

OP
H

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
Yea went to go back out to shoot the rest of the course just for fun, walked outside and said yea not today to dang hot and I still wasn’t feeling 100% so decided not to push and listen to my body maybe tomorrow lol