Headlamps...

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Im in the market for a new headlamp. Ive always used just a generic or one you can get at Home Depot but Ive found myself wanting something more since its a part of my kit I am lacking in. So lets hear about the Headlamps everyone recommends.

Whats important to me is:

Has to be bright
Has to be decent on batteries
Has to be water resistant or proof
Would like it light weight.
Be cool if it had lots of different settings i.e. high beam, low beam, strobe, different colors capable

Is my Criteria off base or contradictory?

Thanks in advance.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I've got one of the Glacier lights from Brunton. Rechargeable, multiple light settings and green LEDs as well. Also has an SOS strobe function. You can either hook it up to a USB such as a solar panel, in your car or at home or you can just throw fresh batteries in if need be. I like it. Lots of good headlamp options out there though

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Brock first Ive heard of them. Will research them more. Anyone use Coast? http://www.amazon.com/Coast-HL7-Focusing-Lumen-Headlamp/dp/B005NXPW5W Their 344 Lum light has a 19 hour runtime on high. Thats pretty slick. But it weighs 12 ounces ouch.

See thats where Im uneducated. If Im wanting bright, but lightweight and long run time. I maybe looking for something out of reach? If its bright and runs a long time Im guessing its going to be on the heavy side. Thought maybe some new technology is out there somewhere...

kodiakfly

WKR
First off, remember that you aren't going to have it on the brightest setting the whole time, if much at all. 200 lums is bright as hell...really too bright for doing 95% of what you'll be doing. So don't get hung up on that max lum run time. Even hiking in pitch black with rain, I don't use 200 lums. I'll have mine on the lower close flood setting and that's plenty bright.

I have several headlamps from an old Petzl with a halogen bulb that I sill occasionally use. But now I use a BD Icon Polar which maxes out at 200 lums and you can wear the battery either on the headband or down in a pocket or on a belt. I also use a Princeton Tec 200 lum light for training that runs on 123s. They're both really good on batteries, but I carry the Icon while hunting because it runs on AA's as does my GPS and strobe light, so I only need to carry AAs.

These are both on the heavier side of headlamps, but I can't wear the single strap type. They give me headaches after about 20 minutes. So I have to wear a style that has the strap up over the top of my head, and those are typically heavier, brighter lamps.

Anything from BD, Petzl or Princeton with 100 lum max will do you well from my experience. But I like Fenix as well and those Zebra lights look pretty nice as well. There's Princtons that show up on camofire fairly often.

jherald

WKR
Used a Princeton Tec eos forever, runs on 3 AAA's, reliable as heck. Went to a Fenix HL21 since it runs off a single AA battery and everything I'll potentially carry electronic runs off AA's. So I use the eos for fishing and the Fenix for hunting now.

WV Dan

FNG
I can't remeber the model but I bought a zebra light last year and it is fantastic. It's very bright and uses a single AA battery, mulitple settings and has an aluminum housing. It is one of their flood type models and worked very well for me (I can't remember the lumens). Seems to have good battery life too.......2 cents

goatboy

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the zebra light here. Its heavier but the surefire minimus vision is a really good light as well, gives a natural, usable flood in front of you.

Zebralight. Mine uses 1AA battery. Great run time, I have yet to use my spare battery with a fresh one on a 5 day trip. Brightness is a non factor, they will have a model to suit you...

OP
SHTF

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Sounds like Zebra is the one to look at. Appreciate the feedback all.

UPnorth

FNG
I have been very happy with a Tikka XP for about three years now.

I have had very bad luck with a Princeton Tec Fuel (junk IME).

I just bought a Black Diamond Storm to replace the Princeton Tec and so far I like it. It has continuously variable brightness settings, red LEDs, a lock to prevent it from coming on in your pack, a battery life indicator, and it is supposed to be submersible for 30 minutes (shallow depth). The disadvantage is that it takes 4 AAAs so it is heavy.

Jimbob

WKR
Petzyl MYO rxp, great light that I have been happy with. My dad bought an older model petzyl myo xp used on ebay and used it for three yrs then it broke so he bought a new model like mine. I decided to send his old lamp back to petzyl to see how much repairs would be. They sent me a brand new upgraded model with no questions.

Great product and great service they have my loyalty.

Another vote for the Zebralight. I run the 18650 Lithium battery version and it works superb, especially in the cold.

flyinsquirel

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Zebra H600 in whatever version you prefer, hands down. If you really can't stand working with 18650 batteries, get the H52 and feed it eneloops or lithiums. Had a BD spot before, the H600 makes it look bad, real bad. H600 & Spot weigh the same loaded with batts as well.

JoshTX

WKR
I've got a Petzl NAO. It's a rechargeable battery but I take a solar charger with me anyways. It's not light, but it's super bright and I really like the auto dimmer function and the fact that it's programmable. All in all, I'm very impressed with it. Be advised, it's not cheap.