heading to tuscon az

bnsafe

WKR
Not set in stone yet but looks like I am heading to Tuscon first week of January and will be there thru March. I know deer season is open for bow hunting though Ive never been to AZ or looked into the regs. BUT, what should I see or do there, where is there to explore, should I take the bow and hunt weekends east of there, any good hiking, etc.
Any input would be appreciated, I dont care bout tourist stuff but want to expore a bit

Gone4Days

WKR
Take a drive up to the town of Summerhaven on Mt Lemmon and even go skiiing, Tombstone, Old Tucson Studios, Hike the AZ Trail. Most people don’t think of Tucson and skiiing

Attachments

• F118BFDA-D64F-4686-9167-65D7AB977A77.jpeg
    F118BFDA-D64F-4686-9167-65D7AB977A77.jpeg
    411.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 1806F3FE-F926-4CFF-A432-3EA85090C581.jpeg
    1806F3FE-F926-4CFF-A432-3EA85090C581.jpeg
    86.5 KB · Views: 32

Mojave

WKR
There are some cool museums, Safari Club is there.

There is a tram (bus tram, not gondola) that is on some forest service lands north of town. Takes you to the top of the hill or can return you if you want to hike up.

There are a lot of smoking hot 50 plus year old Scottsdale blonds on the north side of town. They look 30, until you see their hands. Implants, botox you name it! Whole Foods is a good option if you are shopping for one.

Look into some OTC archery tags.

There is a lot of money there, or people are blowing what is left of their retirement there. I got passed several times by Mclaren sports cars and the like.

Also a f-ton of homeless people there. Especially downtown.

There are pockets of extreme wealth surrounded by absolute poverty.

I live near Las Cruces, NM and we don't have the two in such close proximity.

Paulden Arizona is home to Gunsite, maybe they have a weekend class.

Flagstaff is 3-4 hours away, which is really cool. Full disclosure, more Scottsdale Blonds.

Scottsdale is an hour and half away. Even more Scottsdale blonds.

The range in Pheonix is rocking, can't remember the name of it.

If you have the family with you, Great Wolf Lodge is also on the Scottsdale side of Pheonix. Unfortunately this is all families and not so many implants or thongs.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
lol, so theres blonds there. lol. thanks for the input guys. Ive never been there. Im trying to decide if its worth throwing the bow in for weekend hunts or just explore the area. Yea, I never thougth about skiing, I was hoping for warm in AZ. My grandparents went to yuma every year and the pics looked warm.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
There is plenty of really good OTC archery deer hunting in the area around Tucson, I would for sure take the bow and hunt on the weekends. All of Arizona is good for outdoor activities, hiking, mountain biking, exploring, snow skiing/boarding (Flagstaff and Sunrise), wine country up around Sedona/Prescott, etc. There's an incredible amount of things to do in the state. Enjoy your time here.

HuntHarder

WKR
Classified Approved
If you plan on hunting in January, I hope you picked up one of the OTC Non-res deer tags. If not, they are all sold out for 2023. New System starting in 2023.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
i did not, Im a traveling surgery director and just found out today I am probably going so no tag. When I looked it up it showed a quota system but tags otc for archery so didnt realize they were sold out.
Wine country sounds fun, and looks like there is a nf east of town I will explore. How bad are the 2 legged predators in the nf around that area with border crossings etc.

Rick M.

WKR
I think Tucson has some of the coolest looking homes in the nation. The Sonoran and Pueblo Revival architecture is just incredibly aesthetically pleasing. I wish all homes were built that way.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Here is an idea for hunting: You'll need to check with the AZ G&F if an OTC tag is available for Javelina.

Here are two more tourist ideas if the hunting does not work out.

Airplane Boneyard

Mission San Xavier del Bac

The 2nd tourist place, I believe, is the church offering services for 200+ years. Pretty kewl place to visit/see and I'm not a Christian. Also, if you go, try the fry that is sold outside the church. Good stuff.

Enjoy you first visit to AZ and be very glad it is now and not in the July-Sept. timeframe. :)

Eddie

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks all, looking forward to it
I know nothing about javelina but sounds cool. what do you do with them after you shoot them? Are there many of them on public land

Mojave

WKR
lol, so theres blonds there. lol. thanks for the input guys. Ive never been there. Im trying to decide if its worth throwing the bow in for weekend hunts or just explore the area. Yea, I never thougth about skiing, I was hoping for warm in AZ. My grandparents went to yuma every year and the pics looked warm.
A Scottsdale Blond is a term for a woman in Arizona that is in her 50's or 60's who is trying to look 30.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
aw, I dont want one, Im married, but interesting scottsdale got called out on that. lol

Mojave

WKR
It has to do with Scottsdale being an area with a lot of money, and plastic surgery being very common there.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
Bring a shotgun and do some gambel's/scaled quail hunting in 34B or a bit further east in the Galiuro Mountains. If you're into breweries, there's plenty in and around Tucson, good pizza there too. Just try not to get mugged.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
If you haven't bought a tag as an out of stater already you're not hunting deer here this year

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
I have not bought a tag, didnt know I was coming til yesterday. I am gonna check into the javelina, that sounds fun.
I grew up bobwhite quail hunting and thats my passion. Do you guys use dogs for your quail? I would LOVE to do that.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Madera Canyon Recreation Area - Huge Gould's turkeys all over the place, but I'm pretty sure you can't hunt them. Pretty rare as far as turkeys go, fun to see them strutting around. Still snow on the north facing high peaks late into Spring.
Make sure you get yourself a Sonoran Dog or two before you leave. I got hooked on those - tasty!

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
Lemmon doesn’t have enough snow to ski yet. Many years it never opens and when it’s does it might not last long. The skiing here is kind of a novelty, you get to say you did it but it’s not that great. What’s with the obsession over “Scottsdale Blondes”??? I doubt you’ll even notice them unless you’re really into them. You don’t need dogs to hunt Gambel’s or Scaled quail. Mearns are possible without but rather tough if you don’t. There are many wineries about an hour south in the Sonoita area. A Gould’s Turkey tag is a unicorn tag anymore. Getting to be near sheep draw odds. There’s tons of hiking in a zillion areas in the many mountain ranges surrounding us. High, mid, low elevations, you don’t have to go far at all to get on a trail. Mugging’s aren’t common here but encounters with whacked drugged homeless are on the rise though.

Last edited: