Haul road?

Hey fellas,
So myself and a buddy are going to do the haul road this august. We will both be archery hunting but the hang up is I will be shooting a trad bow. I am curious about opportunities off of the haul road that offer more trad friendly terrain for stalking? Maybe closer to the mountains instead of out on the tundra? Seems like some guys have good luck in the hills but most focus on the tundra. Any tips or advice would be appreciated thanks!

I recommend hunting where the caribou are. You may prefer certain terrain and hopefully they are there.

But caribou are fickle; here today gone tomorrow !

FYI -Pope, Young, Hill, Bear, etc never used “traditional” equipment as a limiting factor on how far they would shoot!! Heck even the Compton rendezvous has a 150 yard shoot 😃

Last edited:
OP
Justin.Medcalf
I recommend hunting where the caribou are. You may prefer certain terrain and hopefully they are there.

But caribou are fickle; here today gone tomorrow !

FYI -Pope, Young, Hill, Bear, etc never used “traditional” equipment as a limiting factor on how far they would shoot!! Heck even the Compton rendezvous has a 150 yard shoot 😃
Yeah man I am not worried about shooting far. I will let it rip if it feels good! Shot my Audad in Texas at 50ish. I just wanna give myself the best odds.

Hunted the haul road this past fall. Terrain certainly helps, but if you hunt based on just terrain you may not see any animals. I highly recommend driving the entire road and finding the animals, then maybe focusing on the terrain features of that given area. If the Caribou are in that area then you have a good chance of eventually finding them in some huntable terrain if you are picky about what you go after. Maybe spot them and see if they are heading towards a feature you could use to get closer. This may even be something as simple as the ditch of the road.

Tyler Freel put out a video and podcast of his experience doing it. I also know a die hard trad bow guy who brings a compound for that hunt. I’d recommend getting in front of them rather than a stalk in the open. But that’s what everyone will say and simpler said than done.