Hatch Bipod vs Tripod investment

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Here is the field ethos review of the Spartan ascent tripod. You can shoot standing up, kneeling, or prone. It will replace your hiking sticks, and of course can be used for your spotter as well.

www.happyantelope.com

Tripod if only carrying one in the backcountry and weight is a concern. With practice it can done quickly.

OP
O

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
Sirui AM-284, Sunwayfoto 44mm Ball head. Mlock Arca rail on the Ruger Precision Rimfire.
Total Rifle weight: is right at 9lbs. My dedicated hunting rifle right now weighs a little over 11 lbs. But I am considering swapping stocks to bring it back down to 9 and a half.
the only rifle I have with arca right now is my 22lr. I did some dry firing on a bunch of doves in the orchard this morning and it feels STEADY. not as steady as a bipod and a sandbag. but steady enough I think!

Attachments

• 20230502_112534.jpg
    20230502_112534.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20230502_113026.jpg
    20230502_113026.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 28

Cruzj

FNG
I know "bipod vs tripod" has been beaten to death. The situation is I own a selection of rifles none with arca rails, and only 1 with a small picatinny rail on the fore end. I already have a decent tripod with a pan head that really doesnt NEED replacement but for sure isnt stable enough to shoot off of. I have always hunted with a harris bipod, but this year I struggled a little on my coues hunt, I missed 2 opportunities because the angle of the hillside.
Do I upgrade to a hatch bipod that I can easily make work with all my rifles or do I add arca rails and devote myself to a new tripod?

Have you ever left your bipod at home and ever lost a shot because you ONLY had a tripod? I think setup time would be my only struggle
I have never shot from a tripod. I
I know "bipod vs tripod" has been beaten to death. The situation is I own a selection of rifles none with arca rails, and only 1 with a small picatinny rail on the fore end. I already have a decent tripod with a pan head that really doesnt NEED replacement but for sure isnt stable enough to shoot off of. I have always hunted with a harris bipod, but this year I struggled a little on my coues hunt, I missed 2 opportunities because the angle of the hillside.
Do I upgrade to a hatch bipod that I can easily make work with all my rifles or do I add arca rails and devote myself to a new tripod?

Have you ever left your bipod at home and ever lost a shot because you ONLY had a tripod? I think setup time would be my only struggle
i have only ever shot off of a bipod. I have a tripod for my Binos but couldn’t imagine shooting from it due to the slight instability compared to a bipod. That being said, I should try shooting from a tripod before making a judgement on it. I love the stability of a bipod and have been using the rugged ridge EOL bipod for about 5 years now. It works great especially for just a couple shots like while hunting. When I shoot off of it a lot, like at the range, the bipod starts to fold forward on itself. I used a friends hatch bipod the other day and loved it. I just ordered one a few days ago and I’m looking forward to using it.

I prefer a tripod for shooting and hunting. If I want to shoot prone I can off a tripod. Does take little more time to setup but I enjoy how stable and versatile the tripod is

OP
O

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up investing in both.. full length arca rail on two of my guns with a tripod setup plus an atlas with an arca clamp..

YotaEER

Lil-Rokslider
I haven’t used a bipod in years. Worked my way up the tripod ladder from cheapo Amazon special, to PIG, to leofoto to RRS. Had the RRS with anvil for a couple years now and use it 100% of the time hunting and target shooting.

I highly, highly recommend just going to the RRS setup and some cheap bags for zeroing from the bench. Never been an instance where I couldn’t get my RRS setup for a comfortable and steady shot.

Has anybody thought about attaching the rrs anvil 30 head to a tall hatch bipod through an arca adapter with the screw to thread on the head ? Would still get the simple setup of a bipod and decent height plus the benefits of using the anvil head…or is that a crazy thought? Haha

giphy.gif
Hahaha. Rabbit hole thoughts… but if they did make a bipod with some sort of friction lever for tracking would be nice.such as the anvil.