Hanwag - Makra Trek, Combi & Alverstone II?

rds1865

FNG
Looking for feedback on these 3 boots. Ready to replace my Salomon Quest 4D & Zamberlan Dakota’s. I’m primarily a western archery hunter and some years early season rifle.

Had some issues last year on steep terrain packing my elk out with my Quest so looking for a more substantial boot still with lighter weight.

Whole the Combi is stiffer, it actually shows to be a little lighter than the trek. The Alverstone looks to be a nice balance of the features I’m looking for.

OP
R

rds1865

FNG
I do prefer a boot with room in the toe box. Tried some Wyoming II Crispi’s but the heel and rear of mid foot area was too sloppy for my prefence. Plus they are heavier weight.

OP
R

rds1865

FNG
Size 9, 3 15/16” (D Medium).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R

rds1865

FNG
Anymore feedback or input on these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Superdoo

WKR
I measure at US 10.5 and a C width. I just bought the Alverstone's and went with GoHunt's suggestion of ordering a half size up. So the regular width size 11's showed up and are not even close to fitting.
I took pictures and sent them into the rep at GoHunt. He's now saying to try a size 10EE.

Seeing as I will be out the money to ship the size 11's back to them, I'm contemplating returning the 11's and just shopping locally.

The boots themselves look great, but I can't give you much of a review without them fitting.

OP
R

rds1865

FNG
I’m in a similar situation. Ordered them with high hopes and they feel too narrow even with the 1/2 size up. Maybe next season I’ll give them a try in wide. Otherwise, they felt great. Just too narrow at my foot’s widest point. What are you hunting in this year? Going with the Makra Combi here, my old Quest as back ups.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just tried a pair of Combi's, I am a 9.5 regular width in most. The 9.5s, were good width but a tad short in length, like the boot alot, but listed them in the classifieds, going to get a size 10.

OP
R

rds1865

FNG
I went ahead and placed an order for a pair of 9.5 wides to contrast with the regular 9.5s in the Alverstone’s I have before making a decision. Ordering and returning boots gets a bit pricy, but not as costly as expensive bad fitting boots.

Last edited:
OP
R

rds1865

FNG
I just tried a pair of Combi's, I am a 9.5 regular width in most. The 9.5s, were good width but a tad short in length, like the boot alot, but listed them in the classifieds, going to get a size 10.

I was able to fit my standard 9 in the Combi. The Alverstone fits more narrow than the Combi and Trek.

Last edited:
I have the Combi and Trek, and had the alverstone. If I had to pick 1 Id go with the Trek. The combi needs some sole to come up over the toe box to add protection, its a durability issue. The Trek has the alverstone midsole/sole and has that protection over the toe cap. The alverstones were just too narrow and sold them.

The Trek has slightly more room than the Combi even though its the same upper. The combi is stiffer and to me feels lighter. I was set on going with the trek this season, but after a long heavy hike, I started getting hotspots on both big toes on the inside around mile 12. Im sticking with what I know works in the Thor, with the Zamberlan Sierra 700 as backups. FWIW I wear 9.5 is just about everything, but the Zamberlans I had to size down to 9.

OP
R

rds1865

FNG
I have the Combi and Trek, and had the alverstone. If I had to pick 1 Id go with the Trek. The combi needs some sole to come up over the toe box to add protection, its a durability issue. The Trek has the alverstone midsole/sole and has that protection over the toe cap. The alverstones were just too narrow and sold them.

The Trek has slightly more room than the Combi even though its the same upper. The combi is stiffer and to me feels lighter. I was set on going with the trek this season, but after a long heavy hike, I started getting hotspots on both big toes on the inside around mile 12. Im sticking with what I know works in the Thor, with the Zamberlan Sierra 700 as backups. FWIW I wear 9.5 is just about everything, but the Zamberlans I had to size down to 9.

Great feedback, thank you.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
I just got the combi, really like them. Definitely stiff, I’m a small guy, 155 lbs. definitely need an insole too.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
Nice. What insole you thinking about or planning to get?

I have sheep feet on order, but in mean time I bought some super feet and they are still much better. I had read some reviews on gohunt about the insoles not being very good and they were right. First ruck I did was kind of painful.

Im also coming from Solomon Quests, they feel like a tennis shoe over the Hanwag

OP
R

rds1865

FNG
I have sheep feet on order, but in mean time I bought some super feet and they are still much better. I had read some reviews on gohunt about the insoles not being very good and they were right. First ruck I did was kind of painful.

Im also coming from Solomon Quests, they feel like a tennis shoe over the Hanwag

So true about the Salomons. Have superfeet which I find good in most cases. Tried to order Lathrop’s, but after a week that called to tell me they wouldn’t arrive in time. Reply back when you get your sheep feet. Would like to know how they work out.

ajbailey21

Lil-Rokslider
So true about the Salomons. Have superfeet which I find good in most cases. Tried to order Lathrop’s, but after a week that called to tell me they wouldn’t arrive in time. Reply back when you get your sheep feet. Would like to know how they work out.

Will do! They are probably 2-3 weeks out right now. I hope!

Superdoo

WKR
Scheels carries the Ancash model. They fit my feet much better. The toe box is definitely wider. I went to a 9.5 in them and I measure at a 10.5 C width.

satchamo

WKR
I tried the alverstones but the toe box is wayyy too narrow on them and I don’t even have wide feet… wanted to love them but couldn’t.