Hanging European elk mount

sk1

WKR
I’ve finally decided to hang my first bull elk up in my living room. I shot it 10 years or so ago. I didn’t know what I was doing and sawed the skull off. Boiled the heck out of it. I’m whitening it as I write this.

Any thoughts as how to safely mount it being that I sawed the back part of the skull off? I don’t need this falling off the wall on my kids or something. It’s been in the basement hanging on a giant lag bolt but I also had some stuff stabilizing the antlers so it wouldn’t tip

Looking for suggestions! Thanks

a2cccfb024b1470d0557dc577edfc356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Iversen82

Lil-Rokslider
You can fish a piece of wire through the ear canals to make a loop to hang on a nail/screw. Or there is probably enough to screw a 2 hole D ring to the bone just below the brain cavity, if you don’t want to do a plaque.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
Pack the brain cavity with epoxy putty, and before the putty hardens place an i-bolt or lag hook in the center of the putty! I did the Bull in my profile pic as skull mounted like this and it worked great. View attachment 209077

I’d love to see a picture of the back side of that. Genius idea!

You can’t cheat the mountain

Swede

WKR
I drill into the back of the skull and hang the skull on a 1/8" or 3/16" bolt. The drilled hole comes through into the cavity where the spinal cord goes through, so the machine screw never shows unless you get real close and look under the skull. If I don't want even that possibility of the screw showing I cut a piece of shell casing from a fired cartridge and run the screw through that too. I drill through the back board and into a tooth on each side of the upper jaw. Then I screw a carpenters screw into the jaw on each side. The screws cannot be seen unless you get your eyes close in the perfect location. The skull is solid and does not move.

What ever method you decide, and depending on your taste and preferences...try and hang the skull in such a way that it sits at a natural position.

When they hang with nose straight down, it just doesn’t look right (at least to my eyes).

cravingame

Lil-Rokslider
What ever method you decide, and depending on your taste and preferences...try and hang the skull in such a way that it sits at a natural position.

When they hang with nose straight down, it just doesn’t look right (at least to my eyes).
I have to respectfully disagree, I like the classic look. All European Mounts are traditionally hung with the nose straight down. Any other angle on a Euro Mount looks strangely altered to me. Thankfully we can all have an opinion.

I wire them to a board. You can drill it right into the beam or if hanging on a fire place use fishing line and a couple hooks in the ceiling. This one is before hanging.
29542DFC-D866-451D-B751-0B471A204196.jpeg

I have to respectfully disagree, I like the classic look. All European Mounts are traditionally hung with the nose straight down. Any other angle on a Euro Mount looks strangely altered to me. Thankfully we can all have an opinion.

We can definitely all have our own personal opinions...
Traditional or otherwise, a natural angle looks way better.

Attachments

• 87D553ED-845C-4F02-9876-01290B8B8499.jpeg
    87D553ED-845C-4F02-9876-01290B8B8499.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 168
You can fish a piece of wire through the ear canals to make a loop to hang on a nail/screw. Or there is probably enough to screw a 2 hole D ring to the bone just below the brain cavity, if you don’t want to do a plaque.

This! The holes are perfect for fishing a wire through. I use the super flexible wire used for hanging suspended ceilings. So simple and works great.

wyosam

WKR
I’ve finally decided to hang my first bull elk up in my living room. I shot it 10 years or so ago. I didn’t know what I was doing and sawed the skull off. Boiled the heck out of it. I’m whitening it as I write this.

Any thoughts as how to safely mount it being that I sawed the back part of the skull off? I don’t need this falling off the wall on my kids or something. It’s been in the basement hanging on a giant lag bolt but I also had some stuff stabilizing the antlers so it wouldn’t tip

Looking for suggestions! Thanks

a2cccfb024b1470d0557dc577edfc356.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Find a couple good spots to anchors a wire loop fairly high up on the wall side. Can be natural structure inside, or you can drill a couple holes in parts that look beefy. You want a sturdy half loop between those points, with the top of the loop just a little below the highest part of the skull when on the wall. Put a sturdy hook on the wall (into a stud), hang the loop over it.

Elkero

FNG
Bailing wire, several loops through the back of the skull. Then get a screw driver and twist the wall end to form a small loop, again using several wire strands. Hang in the wall using a lag bolt screwed into a stud at a slight angle.

4rcgoat

WKR
Hung this for the homeowner whos house we built. Had a steel plate cut and a dowel welded to it at the right angle. Dowel fit through a hole drilled in back,leather lashings to keep it from spinning sideways

Attachments

• 20170306_102957.jpg
    20170306_102957.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 20170306_103039.jpg
    20170306_103039.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 120