Hang and hunt set up

Currently I'm using a lone wolf assault 2 and 3 lone wolf sticks for my hang and hunt setup. I am considering a smaller platform, either a new novix or a lwcg. My only concern is that I'm not a real little guy and the smaller platform doesn't offer as much room for me to move. I recently lost my only permission up here in Northern MN so I'm back to knocking on doors and running public. The lone wolf I have has never let me down, but I'm wondering if a smaller platform will get me into some other littler trees should I need to. I don't think I can make a switch to a saddle. The seat on my stand gives me a reminder to sit down and stop moving and I think in a saddle I'd be jumping around too much.

My hang and hunt setup is literally just stand and sticks, bowrope and knife in my bino harness so weight isn't much of a concern for me. I'm really just looking at the platform size to determine if I'll get into smaller trees with a smaller platform or not

Anybody used both sizes of lone wolf that can weigh in?

I have an aluminum summit climber but that only gets used when I really want to take a good nap in the tree. I love that thing and have shot plenty of deer from it, but I don't really take it out much anymore

WoodBow

WKR
I personally do not feel that a smaller platform will allow you to hunt any smaller of trees. I do feel I can hunt slightly smaller trees with my saddle platform. However I have moved to just wearing my saddle in my millenium m7 microlite stand. Best of both worlds.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I have both the Novix Echo and Helo, I am a fan of them both. I’m not small either (6’2”), but do fine in the Helo. There space difference is noticeable between the Echo and Helo but doesn’t affect comfort all that much IMO.

Haven’t noticed a difference in tree selection options, if I can get in with the Helo I can get in with the Echo. Helo normally gets the nod if I am hiking back further - not so much the weight but the height/width difference. I have a MR Popup 38 and I strap the stand in behind the bag. Helo’s width fits more streamlined in it.

Yoder

WKR
I've setup in a tree that was maybe 6 in in diameter with my Lone Wolf Assault 2. The stand was good, the sticks were questionable. The specs on the stand say the minimum tree size is 4in. I wouldn't want to go any smaller than that.

godwinmt

FNG
I personally do not feel that a smaller platform will allow you to hunt any smaller of trees. I do feel I can hunt slightly smaller trees with my saddle platform. However I have moved to just wearing my saddle in my millenium m7 microlite stand. Best of both worlds.
I'm in full agreement with this. Have been hunting out of an assault this year, and have setup in some pretty small trees.

Keep in mind if you're a bigger guy, you're also silhouetted a lot more on smaller trees.

Macintosh

WKR
Agree with others, ime size of the stand isnt what determines size of the tree you can get in. Size and weight of the stand is only for comfort once in the tree (big platform) versus easy getting TO the tree (light and smaller for less
Snagging and crashing on brush and branches). I have a helo, I’m 6’3”, it is noticeably smaller than an assault 2, especially if im wearing my big 1600g insulated boots. It’s about 2 pounds lighter than your assault, so you might find a place to hunt that you arent willing to access with heavier gear, but once there you’ll get into the exact same trees I will.
I still prefer a stand sometimes, but If Im hoofing it for a while to get to tree or scouting and maybe dont even get in a tree, I use a saddle—you’d lose about 7+ pounds off your current setup and reduce bulk for carrying significantly. (And still get in more or less the same trees)