Hammer Hunter light or heavy for caliber?

Sled

WKR
Any thoughts from Hammer users? I'm inclined to go with the better BC projectile for distance but other reports I've read say light for caliber performed exceptionally well on game. I can keep both above 1800fps impact velocity and both will stabilize in my barrel. Light will need a faster powder than I have on hand but I'm willing to look for it.

I like velocity with mono's, and mono's like it too. With that said, bullet weight is always a constant. If either will maintain expansion velocity to the range you will shoot game, I would go with the heavier one even with it being a bit slower initially. At some point down range one of them will have the ballistic advantage, probably the heavier one. But never will it be "slower" at closer range by any amount to lessen performance.

For example, the .358 180 TTSX from my Whelen AI can be safely run at 3125 fps with newer powders. The 200 TTSX can be pushed at 3000 fps with same newer powders. The 200 TTSX maintains my self-imposed 2000 fps expansion velocity to 560 yds. The 180 TTSX falls under 2000 fps at 490 yds. I haven't taken a shot at an elk or deer past 341 yards in 20 years with that rifle. Either one would work but the heavier wins out based on my criteria.

As an edit, 200 gr is light by Whelen standards. I should restate that I shoot light for caliber mono bullets in it but not so light as to affect down range performance. I also run the 110 TTSX in the 270 Win and 130 TTSX in the '06, both have taken elk, deer and pronghorn with no drama as well.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve had great results with hammer hunters in the following cartridge/weights:
-124g 6.5creed
-137g 308w
-166g 300wm

Based on that I’d say light for caliber. The 137g in the 308 was particularly impressive and accurate out of my Kimber.

I am a big believer in lighter and faster with monos. There is something extra with that speed and I think it is further amplified by the hammer design to shed pedals.

What cartridge?

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I am a big believer in lighter and faster with monos. There is something extra with that speed and I think it is further amplified by the hammer design to shed pedals.

What cartridge?

270wsm 8 twist

Dang, that would be a screamer with a 110 TTSX. Just about any appropriate powder will get a bit over 3500 fps. That'll carry 2000 fps to the 640 yd line.

Hammers can typically be pushed faster than other mono's, go with the lighter options and it'll get the job done.

I would go 126 or 140 but I realize you can stabilize about any 270 bullet they make.

143s out of my 7STW flat kill and I don’t push them hard. I run 3390 but can go up over 3600 fps I just prefer close to one hole accuracy instead of pushing an inch with the faster speed.

Northpark

WKR
Since I’m generally looking for higher BC to get me out past 600 yards I lean towards heavier with the hammers. I currently use 199gr hammer hunters in my .300 win mag at 3097 FPS, the 140gr absolute hammer in my 7-08ai at 2946 FPS, and the 64gr hammer hunter in my .223 at 2970 FPS. I have shot probably in the neighborhood of 20 animals from javelina to elk with the hammers at ranges out to about 400 yards and they have performed great.

I have played around with the ballistics and was considering the 90gr hammer in my 7-08ai to see if it would go 3500fps but even with that much extra speed it lost out to the 140gr after like 500 yards.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I should mention this will coming out of a 20" barrel. Do heavies perform better out of short barrels? Do you speed up the burn rate of your powder choice to account for the loss of barrel length to burn it all?

As the barrel gets shorter and shorter I think it becomes more of an issue. Slower powders behind heavier bullets within reasonable length barrels typically get the best velocity in my experience.

Forest

WKR
I have limited experience with them on game so far. But building a 7 saum that will be throated for the hammers and went back and forth on heavy vs light. Settled on a mid-weight to hopefully be a good balance of bc and speed. I'm also doing a 20" barrel so just not going to get the speeds that a lot of guys can. I do believe these new mono's (hammer, cutting edge, badlands) are better at the lower speeds than say an etip, barnes etc. Therefore I personally think a guy can run heavier than the traditional mono size for caliber.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
Maybe 140 or 148HH with h4831 could do the trick. I'm not sure the 156HH would be stable enough at low temps.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Since I’m generally looking for higher BC to get me out past 600 yards I lean towards heavier with the hammers. I currently use 199gr hammer hunters in my .300 win mag at 3097 FPS, the 140gr absolute hammer in my 7-08ai at 2946 FPS, and the 64gr hammer hunter in my .223 at 2970 FPS. I have shot probably in the neighborhood of 20 animals from javelina to elk with the hammers at ranges out to about 400 yards and they have performed great.

I have played around with the ballistics and was considering the 90gr hammer in my 7-08ai to see if it would go 3500fps but even with that much extra speed it lost out to the 140gr after like 500 yards.
What is your load for the 199g hammers out of your 300wm?

Wydaho22

FNG
I think anything that holds +90% of its weight is good to load light-for-caliber. Most important of all would be which load, including bullet weight, shoots best out of your rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I am in the process of converting all my precision rifles to hammer loads. The accuracy is no joke, and now that I've put some animals down with them, I sold.
I found the best load starting points and what bullet to try first by talking with Steve at Hammer. Super friendly and knowledgeable.

OP
Sled

Sled

WKR
I am in the process of converting all my precision rifles to hammer loads. The accuracy is no joke, and now that I've put some animals down with them, I sold.
I found the best load starting points and what bullet to try first by talking with Steve at Hammer. Super friendly and knowledgeable.

I've been playing with the SG calculator and think I've decided on the 148gr HH for my load to start with. It's funny to think after reloading several different calibers I never gave this much thought other than don't go too heavy for the twist. Who knew so much went into spinning a bullet point first.