Had an idea I thought I'd share/get input.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I'm 55 and have been hunting since I was 9 years old. I got into mountain hunting kind of slowly due to limited vacation time and the cost. As many of your know, extra money is not easy to come by when you are raising a family. As the kids grew up my trips out west hunting increased. I now go 1-2 times per year and love it. I put in for points in Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Montana and Wyoming every year. I've finally gotten to the point where I can start burning a few now, but plan to hold onto some others until I retire so I can scout and hunt the entire season or until I score.

I've been thinking about what else to do during my retirement years and considered reaching out to the younger folks on Rokslide who have gathered some points and are ready to burn them but need help. Maybe offer to go along with them on the hunt to help? Do some pre-scouting for them and assist with the hunt. I'd have to make sure the "fit" was right for both parties. I'd be looking for someone who was humble, athletic, self reliant financially, willing to listen, comfortable being uncomfortable - that sort of thing - but I think doing one or two of these a year on top of my own stuff could be fun. What do you guys think?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I have been thinking something along those lines also. I am retired and am sitting on a wad of CO elk points. Had sights way back when of drawing one of the primo units but points creep may never allow that.

I think it would be a great idea to help mentor people like you described.
Not sure when you plan on retiring but I'm just getting started planning a hunting trip out west for when I hit 40 in close to three years. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to western hunting but have been hunting from a very young age.
I joined rokslide to gather information for the next few years and give myself a chance to get as fit as possible and get my gear dialed in.
Having a mentor along for the hunt would be amazing.
With my uncle's and grandfather mentoring me about all the do's and don'ts and the unwritten rules of hunting, I might not have developed my love of the outdoors.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm 57 and I help folks out most every year during elk season. But I also know quite a few folks that draw decent tags so I have no problem doing that for them.

OP
ELKhunter60

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
I think it would be a great idea to help mentor people like you described.
Not sure when you plan on retiring but I'm just getting started planning a hunting trip out west for when I hit 40 in close to three years. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to western hunting but have been hunting from a very young age.
I joined rokslide to gather information for the next few years and give myself a chance to get as fit as possible and get my gear dialed in.
Having a mentor along for the hunt would be amazing.
With my uncle's and grandfather mentoring me about all the do's and don'ts and the unwritten rules of hunting, I might not have developed my love of the outdoors.
I've got 6 more years before I pull the trigger and retire but I'm thinking about what retirement looks like now. We had a retired 80 year old guy come to our men's group at church a long time ago and never forgot his advice. He told us retirement can be fun if you plan for it financially and mentally. He also reminded us no matter how old you are, a man needs purpose. So I'm working on figuring out what my time spent and purpose looks like.

Dennis

WKR
Helping others is a great way to spend your time and create new friendships. I have been retired now for some time and years ago created an outdoor adventure camp for friends and family. It started with a granddaughter and her girl scout troop working towards their "Golden Award" (sort of like a boys Eagle Scout Award). Then several nieces asked about attending an adventure camp. That lead to their friends and to other friends and their children with some parents along the way. Most of these kids/adults have no outdoor experience nor exposure to a hunting/outdoor life style. The kids have all been great and I think they learn a lot and now ask about refresher classes.

I have gained some life long friends and a few new hunting partners along the way. Just what an old guy needs.

I've got 6 more years before I pull the trigger and retire but I'm thinking about what retirement looks like now. We had a retired 80 year old guy come to our men's group at church a long time ago and never forgot his advice. He told us retirement can be fun if you plan for it financially and mentally. He also reminded us no matter how old you are, a man needs purpose. So I'm working on figuring out what my time spent and purpose looks like.
Getting your game plan together now sounds like a good plan. I've always had the mindset of the longer you have to plan and prepare for something life changing like that the better, as well as having a few options if something doesn't work out.

Very sound advice from that gentleman. Every man definitely needs purpose. Purpose fills life.

I've seen two complete opposite ways men have approached retirement.
The gentleman across the street and to the left from me retired a year before we moved into our house. His yard is immaculate and he takes extreme pride in his yard and landscaping. He seems to have found his purpose in retirement.
The gentleman directly across the street was pretty close to the same age and retired about three years later. He didn't do a lot but sit inside and watch sports and mow once a week. Became very sedentary. It got the best of him, he could barely make it to the mailbox before they moved last year. He was in good health when he retired and would shoot basketball with his grandkids in the driveway before retirement.

Sorry for the lengthy response.

Glad you're getting ahead of the game figuring out what you want your retirement to look like before you're in it.

EdP

WKR
You might also consider hiring on as a guide if you have the skill and fitness level. Some outfitters hire folks for short periods to help either as guides, cooks, camp jacks, etc. On my last western hunt, a 2021 MD hunt in Wy, one of the guides drove out from Iowa for a 5 day stint, something he does with the same outfitter every year. Its not the same as helping out friends and family but if that doesn't pan out it might be fun and earn you a few $.

Mosby

WKR
I retired and bought 2 gun dogs. Bird season goes for months. We walk miles per day rain or shine. They get you off the couch, provide great company and seldom complain. Highly recommend.

Rich M

WKR
Nothing wrong with that - give her a go...

Back in 1998 a local NWRF went to requiring permits to hunt ducks - 4 guys on a permit. I volunteered to help some folks and still talk w 1 and hunt or fish or trap shoot at least 1x yearly w him, my dad and I fish and hunt with #2 all the time. Only the 3rd guy dropped off the face of the earth.

Around same time, hooked up with 3 other guys - 1 vanished after he dropped a motor off my boat (thankfully it was insured - his other 2 fiends dropped him for not paying the $250 deductible), 2 never liked me, 3 is meeting me and another guy in WY this fall for an antelope hunt.

I've also done fishing and hunting and swaps with 12+ other guys in a handful of states for fish, antelope, deer, and ducks, that didn't turn into long term friends... Stopped doing this back in 2017 after a negative experience.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've thought of doing something a little similar.

A buddy of mine (also retired), whom I've shared many arduous adventures, got talking on one of our trips (well off trail into a gorgeous basin in the Bob Marshall most will never see). He said you know folks would pay money to get into places like this.

I told him that's probably true, but it wouldn't be your average person that could get into a place like this and despite warnings, that there was a likelihood that you'd get a client(s) who overestimated his ability. Could turn into a $hit show pretty easy.

In addition, there were also commercial permits to secure, insurance, advertising, etc to think about

Sooo....... in the end, we just continue to have our own adventures :D

Warmsy

WKR
I'm 55 and have been hunting since I was 9 years old. I got into mountain hunting kind of slowly due to limited vacation time and the cost. As many of your know, extra money is not easy to come by when you are raising a family. As the kids grew up my trips out west hunting increased. I now go 1-2 times per year and love it. I put in for points in Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Montana and Wyoming every year. I've finally gotten to the point where I can start burning a few now, but plan to hold onto some others until I retire so I can scout and hunt the entire season or until I score.

I've been thinking about what else to do during my retirement years and considered reaching out to the younger folks on Rokslide who have gathered some points and are ready to burn them but need help. Maybe offer to go along with them on the hunt to help? Do some pre-scouting for them and assist with the hunt. I'd have to make sure the "fit" was right for both parties. I'd be looking for someone who was humble, athletic, self reliant financially, willing to listen, comfortable being uncomfortable - that sort of thing - but I think doing one or two of these a year on top of my own stuff could be fun. What do you guys think?
I think that's a great idea. I appreciate you looking forward to the next generation and offering service.