Habit information

jb754

FNG
I’m looking for resources to determine what slope angles and slope aspects mule deer bucks prefer in October and November. If anyone has a good resource for finding out this information I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
Thank you

The specific data you are looking for most likely doesn't exist in cut and dried form because it would vary from region to region and be affected by things like weather, topography, migration, the rut, predators, available cover, food and water, etc. Scouting your area will be the best way to determine all of this.

I’m looking for resources to determine what slope angles and slope aspects mule deer bucks prefer in October and November. If anyone has a good resource for finding out this information I would greatly appreciate being pointed in the right direction.
Thank you

There’s no rhyme or reason, there’s no cut and dry rule, best resource is getting out in the unit you are hunting and learning the animals there. Bucks follow the doe’s when the rut starts, they can be on any slope that has food, water and shelter. You can read all kinds of books and listen to podcasts, but boots on the ground where you hunt is the best resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jb754

FNG
There’s no rhyme or reason, there’s no cut and dry rule, best resource is getting out in the unit you are hunting and learning the animals there. Bucks follow the doe’s when the rut starts, they can be on any slope that has food, water and shelter. You can read all kinds of books and listen to podcasts, but boots on the ground where you hunt is the best resource.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you

OP
J

jb754

FNG
The specific data you are looking for most likely doesn't exist in cut and dried form because it would vary from region to region and be affected by things like weather, topography, migration, the rut, predators, available cover, food and water, etc. Scouting your area will be the best way to determine all of this.
Thank you

Wrench

WKR
Nearly all wild animals are similar....they wake answering the question, "how do I stay alive with the least effort today."

In areas of low hunter / predator pressure you'll find them in fairly flat ground near food and water. As the above increase they respond to pressure by putting as much time and space between themselves and the threat.

I'd study up on the food sources preferred in your area and locate potential pressure locations and directions and work with that.

manitou1

WKR
I read an article last year by one of the gurus that kills big bucks consistently and he claims 30% is ideal.
I do not remember who the author was thiugh.

I have found that to be pretty accurate in my observations since I read the article and pay attention to it now.

Of course you can find them feeding elswhere but they seem to eventually migrate to those slopes and hang there longer when feeding.

Or maybe it is just the power of suggestion. 😁