Gun storage at hunting camp

Where do you store your guns while at hunting camp? Context wise, “hunting camp” would be a canvas tent. No spike camp.

I was thinking about maybe bringing a gun cabinet or making a rack of some sort this year.
Thoughts?

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Locked in truck or laying against cot. When I'm hunting ill either have it on me or be in the truck...

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
I've always stuck to the idea of not bringing my gun inside to warm up until I get home. I don't like the idea of a gun gathering condensation. We always have shower curtain hooks along the eave poles of the awning extension. I usually hang mine there, or lean it against the wood pile under the awning.

OP
Thebigbaby
I've always stuck to the idea of not bringing my gun inside to warm up until I get home. I don't like the idea of a gun gathering condensation. We always have shower curtain hooks along the eave poles of the awning extension. I usually hang mine there, or lean it against the wood pile under the awning.
I have the same mind set regarding condensation.

WCB

WKR
When they aren't in a case in the truck/OHV, do you guys pull the bolts out or have some sort of other hunter(s) check the chamber process?
Normal procedure is bolt or action open. Does everybody in your party check every bodies gun every time they take it in or out of a vehicle? Also, unless traveling to and from trips (basically interstate traveling) our guns are rarely in a case.

At our out of state hunting "shack" we have just a small stand up rack in the dining room if you want or if you clean a gun in the evening you can just set it there...otherwise they are in the front seat of the truck. At the cabin either in the truck again or in the porch in some wall mounted gun rests...butts on the floor.

Wall tent small make shift rack next to the cot or propped up outside under a tarp or other protected area.

grfox92

WKR
Never really put this much thought into it. Guns go in the truck and truck gets locked overnight. When I get back to the car I unchamber the round and push it back into the magazine and put the gun on safe.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

They go back in their case, under the hunters cot.

We have a camp rule. When walking in and out in a group, two or more, guns got to be unloaded. No accidental misfires and no loaded guns in camp.

Had a best friend, blow his toe off about 5 years ago. Chief of police. Highly trained, etc…. Just goes to show that accidents happen the instance carelessness peaks it’s head into a crowd of guns.

sndmn11

WKR
Normal procedure is bolt or action open. Does everybody in your party check every bodies gun every time they take it in or out of a vehicle? Also, unless traveling to and from trips (basically interstate traveling) our guns are rarely in a case.

At our out of state hunting "shack" we have just a small stand up rack in the dining room if you want or if you clean a gun in the evening you can just set it there...otherwise they are in the front seat of the truck. At the cabin either in the truck again or in the porch in some wall mounted gun rests...butts on the floor.

Wall tent small make shift rack next to the cot or propped up outside under a tarp or other protected area.

I have only rifle hunted with my wife, and neither of us have had tags at the same time. So, it isn't difficult for both of us to check a chamber and we do it every time we are getting into a vehicle uncased, putting a rifle in a case, or have the rifle in the tent after walking to the tent.

I was more so thinking for the people who are leaving them outside the tent and outside a vehicle.
We always have shower curtain hooks along the eave poles of the awning extension. I usually hang mine there, or lean it against the wood pile under the awning.

I don't think I would want my action or bolt open in case of snow/rain, but have never left my rifle out in the elements and maybe it doesn't cause an issue. It would be weird for me to not know 100% that the rifles were safe but I don't have experience in a camp of many people.

I would venture to guess that bullet holes were 2nd or 3rd behind bears and wind (depending on the year the order could be reshuffled) for tent repairs when I worked at Davis Tent. Somehow, it was usually the brother in law to blame.

They go back in their case, under the hunters cot.

We have a camp rule. When walking in and out in a group, two or more, guns got to be unloaded. No accidental misfires and no loaded guns in camp.

Had a best friend, blow his toe off about 5 years ago. Chief of police. Highly trained, etc…. Just goes to show that accidents happen the instance carelessness peaks it’s head into a crowd of guns.
must not have to worry about bears around camp.

Where do you store your guns while at hunting camp? Context wise, “hunting camp” would be a canvas tent. No spike camp.

I was thinking about maybe bringing a gun cabinet or making a rack of some sort this year.
Thoughts?

In a wall tent, I prop mine - barrel up - in the corner. I have a soft case under my cot, but I've never taken time to dig that thing out, just to stash my gun in it for a few hours while I sleep. It just gets propped in the corner. Good to go.

OP
Thebigbaby
Thanks for the responses. Mine is usually next to my cot on bipod or locked in the truck. I just worry about knocking it over while in tent or condensation/surface rust while locked in truck. I’ll probably go same route this year though. Leave for elk camp on Saturday and still have a few priority things to do.

Maybe next year I’ll put together a rack of some sort. Just worried about how much space it might take up.

must not have to worry about bears around camp.
Not too much. By the time our rifle season hits, they are getting pretty sleepy. If the food is gone, they are asleep by then. That and we are in the east. Outside of jersey and the Smokey mtns., bears have learned to leave people alone for the most part.