Gun Safety Workbook for Kids?

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have a digital copy of a gun safety workbook/literature for kids? Or a link where I could find one?

My nine-year-old nephew desperately wants to learn about firearms and shooting and hunting. His parents(my in-laws) don't own guns and have very limited experience with them, but they're excited for their son to learn and for me to teach the boy and his father about firearms and hunting. I have a BB gun for him, I have a place to shoot, and I know how and what I would teach him. What I don't have is any literature that he could read over at home so he can memorize safety rules and firearm controls.

If anyone has something like that I'd appreciate it.

def90

WKR
Eddie Eagle?

Yes, the NRA has shit on gun owners over the years but they do have some decent lit on gun education.

Otherwise.. anyone should know the basic rules of gun safety.. get them some airsoft rifles and start drilling them. Once they can manage to handle some airsoft rifles properly without pointing them at people and putting their booger fingers on the trigger move on to the real thing.

+1 Hunter-Ed.com
I spent a lot of time going through the lessons with the kids. Then let them take the test themselves. Taught on that he wasn't as hot-$ht as he thought. PR Act was a new concept.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
I heard about this one on a podcast. I have not read it. https://www.amazon.com/Theres-Only-Safety-Book-Children/dp/0999417339

I taught my daughter starting at 6yo. She would memorize the four rules of gun safety and have to tell me each time before we touched a rifle. We would practice dry firing on the floor on the house. Then on the way to the range each time she would have to recite them to me. Then we would talk about what each rule meant and discuss real life examples of each.

That combined with hands on instruction while handling/shooting has been great for her.

If I was doing it again I’d buy the book too, I think it’s a great idea.

OP
Redwing

Redwing

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate all the help here, folks. Here's a follow-up.

Using some of the links you shared I put together a short worksheet on gun safety. The boy and I reviewed this at the kitchen table before shooting. This sheet, coupled with commentary and instruction while we were shooting seemed to help ingrain the concepts.

He was safe, and surprisingly accurate, during his first time with a BB gun, and then a .22

The worksheet is attached if anyone finds it useful. View attachment Gun Safety for 9yo.pdf

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

Jeremyc_1999

Lil-Rokslider
Toys, Tools, Guns and rules is a pretty good book. He may be a bit old for it, but It explains the basics of gun safety. It's been very helpful for my two and four year old boys.