Gun bearers

N2TRKYS

WKR
Who uses a gun bearer like the one Kifaru sells? Please tell me your experience with it. Pros and cons.

Or did you choose a different setup?

Thanks.

I think it's awesome. I used it for 3rd season rifle last year where I lugged my 15lb rifle around all day without a problem. Only problem I had is that I slipped and fell a couple times on a steep hill and then I noticed after the fact that I had bent the tri-glide on my shoulder strap when the butt of the rifle hit the ground and pushed up on the quick release strap. That tri-glide is sewn in and can't easily be repaired. SHTF helped me straiten it out in a vise when I was over working on getting my Exo to fit on my frame, but it's still obviously been weakened. I haven't showed it to Aron yet to get his thoughts, maybe he has an idea on fixing it.

czJExJg4KzBcOlNjz97jBey3YxCMccPRl-XrgnGXo736k8aZXaRdtT026fCqdMi90rAKXzJr6O9RuA=w551-h979-no

I have one and it has actually saved my gun, when I was packing out my mule deer in slimy mud. I slipped and if my gun would have been in my hands or over my shoulder it would have hit the ground for sure.

toddb

Lil-Rokslider
I love it. Keeps the muzzle safe. Very quick release for if something jumps up in front of you, to get a shot off. I Walk all day long from 2 hours before dark till after dark and no problems at all with it. Leaves both hands free to climb thru brush.

gwl79902

WKR
I got one last year and used it on an elk hunt and on a spring bear hunt. I like it but it took a little time to get used to it. My gun is stainless and a silver think going back and forth in front of my eyes was not too neat at first. After a bit I got ok with it. I have heard that you can hit the gun butt and flip it into your face it not careful.

Ian

Lil-Rokslider
same experience as COlineman78. I love using it but took one spill and folded the slider in half. same deal though I flattened it our and it's holding, I just fear that it will snap one of these days. Curious if Kifaru would work on it too, or have a fix. Maybe double up the sliders to beef it up. In the end though after getting used to it, it has proven to be my favorite way to carry a heavy gun.

deadwolf

WKR
Gunbearer is nice on mild to moderate terrain. I found that the muzzle of the rifle was dangerously close to hammering rocks and what not when climbing in anything steep. I much prefer it strapped on the side of my emr2 and under the bat wing. Hiking in to the sheep mountains I use the gunbearer like normal, once I start any steep climbing it goes up the side of the pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdamW

WKR
I just purchased one a few weeks ago to decide for myself what I thought of it. I think you definitely need to try it yourself and see if you like it or not. I put it on the pack and have not adjusted it at all. I like the way it carries the rifle and will tweak placement as I use it more.

If I could make one constructive criticism for Kifaru, it would be to ditch the right and left handed option and sew the small tab that attaches to the 3-bar slider on the shoulder strap so that it can be flipped 180 degrees and accommodate not only right and left handed carry, but also allow the user to decide if they want to pull the release strap toward the center of their body or away from it to release the rifle, depending on their preference. I'd rather pull it away from my body, but the orientation is set up the other way.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a gun bearer for many years - since they came out. It has it plusses and minuses but overall I have not found anything better. As mentioned above that if you fall, chit can happen and none of it is good on the rifle. In really nasty stuff I'll switch my rifle to the side of my pack.
It is all personal preference but it didn't take me long to not like having the scope under my arm pit as Kifaru shows. I have the scope facing away from my body, this allows a much more straight up and down carry versus having the muzzle out in front of your face - but each to there own and whatever is more comfirtable for your use.

cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a gun bearer for many years - since they came out. It has it plusses and minuses but overall I have not found anything better. As mentioned above that if you fall, chit can happen and none of it is good on the rifle. In really nasty stuff I'll switch my rifle to the side of my pack.
It is all personal preference but it didn't take me long to not like having the scope under my arm pit as Kifaru shows. I have the scope facing away from my body, this allows a much more straight up and down carry versus having the muzzle out in front of your face - but each to there own and whatever is more comfirtable for your use.
PS: I also use it with a shotgun and bird vest for that long walk back to your pickup.