Growing Lichen and Moss on Rocks

treillw

WKR
Got some rocks that are scared up from excavation at our house that we are now using for landscaping. They were completely buried, so don't have anything growing on them like the natural rocks in the area. Wondering if there is anything I can do to speed up the process of them looking a little more natural. They are granite.

Pretty sure I heard that muriatic acid can remove the scaring, but I'd be duping a few gallons of acids around the house and am not crazy about that idea. Also heard people spray yogurt and grind up moss in the blender and spray it on. Anyone actually have experience doing this? How did it turn out?

Thanks!

WCB

WKR
Take some existing moss from other rocks. Mix with buttermilk/yogurt...spread on rocks. You will have to keep them damp but not soak them/wash the mixture off.

I have done this a couple times while landscaping back in the day around new waterfalls or similar in the landscaping. We obviously left the spritzing with water thing up to the customer and checked up on it a few times. Usually better to do in cooler times of the year but depending on you exact location, shade, etc it should work anytime. I see you are from MT....make sure you keep it damp best you can.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
Take some existing moss from other rocks. Mix with buttermilk/yogurt...spread on rocks. You will have to keep them damp but not soak them/wash the mixture off.

I have done this a couple times while landscaping back in the day around new waterfalls or similar in the landscaping. We obviously left the spritzing with water thing up to the customer and checked up on it a few times. Usually better to do in cooler times of the year but depending on you exact location, shade, etc it should work anytime. I see you are from MT....make sure you keep it damp best you can.
I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

2nd the buttermilk/moss mixture. You can also take larger pieces of existing moss and lay it on the rock, just keep it from drying out.