Ground Hunting Chair

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a chair for hunting on the ground. I've been using a folding dove chair but would like to find something a little more convenient to carry and comfortable to sit in. Would be used for turkey and both bow and rifle hunting whitetail. Anybody got something they like?

DmichaelD

FNG
I also have a helinox chair. I believe mine is the chair zero. It is just over a pound (1lb 1oz i believe) and super easy/fast to set up and take down

Tod osier

WKR
Looking for a chair for hunting on the ground. I've been using a folding dove chair but would like to find something a little more convenient to carry and comfortable to sit in. Would be used for turkey and both bow and rifle hunting whitetail. Anybody got something they like?

I really like crazy creek chairs for sitting at the base of a tree, but it would suck for bow. The Hex 2.0 comes in olive, which is a pretty decent color for turkey.

Last edited:

Jbxl20

WKR
I have a knock off brand helinox chair I use.
I also have a chair like this folding one. it’s comfortable and sits nice and low to ground.

Trying to mix a bow in there makes it tough to find just one chair. I have several depending on the situation.

For rifle hunting, I either use a Millennium M300 tree seat or a ground level folding chair that can adjust for sitting on hillsides…can’t think what it is called. And sometimes I just bring a pad and use my pack as a back rest. These days, I try to bring a climber.

For bow hunting, if on the ground, I use a tripod chair with a backrest or sit/kneel. But usually, I will bring a climber.

Dennis

WKR
Here is a photo of my favorite hunting stool. I would not define it as a chair, but with a small tree behind it, it works like one. It is home made from hardwood and is fairly comfortable as it is wider than most stools with the seat material being stretched tight. Being wider and sturdy allows the seat to stay fairly flat so you can turn around in most any direction. The stool and attached home made pack are absolutely quiet with no zippers, Velcro etc.. I made and use the stool primarily for bowhunting whitetails at close range, however it works for hunting most things. For mountain hunting I switch to a "BTR" collapsible tall stool which is super light to carry in my standard day pack for mule deer, elk etc.. Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_1030.JPG
    IMG_1030.JPG
    700.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 2-895613D4-1396192-800.jpg
    2-895613D4-1396192-800.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 64

GeoFish

FNG
I have a Wldrop Pac Seat. I have used different chairs over the years and this thing is by far the best. Yes it ain't cheap but it is worth it to me. If you are not comfortable you cannot stay still.

helinox chair one. I hate glassing with my legs out straight, like those too-close-to-the-ground ones.......

IMG_6192.JPG

rileyP

FNG
BOG makes a really good one as well. Kinda hard to find right now but I just ordered another from Natchesz

DooleyVT

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using just the top to one of my climbing strands strapped to the base of a tree for turkeys, coyotes, archery and rifle deer hunts. Summit top for the longer rifle sits but mainly the Lone Wolf hand climber top with a Hunt Comfort seat for quick set ups. Keeps me off the ground, I can tuck up under a tree for cover, it's light, quiet and packs flat slung over my shoulder.

MJB

WKR

Heavy but sits the best, no curved back, each foot independent so good for uneven ground

OP
Jermh

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking the Helinox looks like it's gonna be the way to go more than likely. Any of you guys tried out a hammock chair? Seems like it would be comfy but possibly pretty awkward to adjust for a shot with a bow

TN2shot07

WKR
Not as comfortable as the helinox but it does keep you off the ground and it packs well

OP
Jermh

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
Not as comfortable as the helinox but it does keep you off the ground and it packs well

Man I just can't imagine that being comfy for longer sits, right?

TN2shot07

WKR
Man I just can't imagine that being comfy for longer sits, right?
It’s not any worse than something like the dove seats above. I’ve never been on it for for than a couple hours but it’s better than the ground for me

strongarm

FNG
@Jermh
Check out the Big Anges lineup.

I have a Big Agnes Skyline UL stool that I use for glassing. It weighs 1# and super compact. They also make a Skyline UL chair which give a little back (I don’t own this, but build is the same). I’ve also used it for comfort when waiting out big game.

I also have a Big Agnes Big Six Camp Chair for base camp and I’ll even use it on shorter backpacking trips. It’s high-back and kinda too comfy after a long day. Think Zzzzzzzz.

The design for each is such that it doesn’t have a hub for the frame poles…it’s interlocking poles. Having broken and witnessed others broken their own hub-type designs, it’s far superior from a longer term durability standpoint, particularly in colder weather which is where I’ve experienced and witness failures.

JakeShmevans

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
The Hillsound BTR stool has gotten mixed reviews, so I went with the Helinox Ground Chair. I wouldn’t trade it for anything else. Main reason I got that over the Chair Zero was way the legs keep from digging in the ground.

I spend a bunch of time behind the glass. I’ve used a number of chairs. The BTR did not last 10 hunting days. I’m not a fan of REI but their lightweight chairs have held up the best. I can usually get 3-4 years out of their chairs. The Helinux would be a close second.

Cabelas Carrie’s some from blackout comfort and primos that are tripods. I used one the last two years for some white tail hunting. Not light enough for long hikes but they work and you can draw a bow from them if you practice.

helionox are great for backwoods and glassing IMO but I can draw / shoot my bow while sitting in one.

also, if you do any box blind hunting, practice inside your blind a bit. I muffed a good shot on a buck because my char was too tall to shoot from within my blind.