Grand Mesa Questions

This year will be my second year Elk hunting. I went last year to Montana and I am HOOKED. After entering in Colorado's DAU 2018 post hunt estimates into a spreadsheet, narrowing them down by several factors (herd estimates/size/public land %, success rates, etc), pouring over GoHunt for about 30 OTC units. I Narrowed it down to 25/26 and 41/411/52/421 (grand mesa area). Once I did that I began E-scouting on GE and did some forum research just to get a feel for what people say about those units (pressure, access, terrain, etc) to help me make the final decision. I Finally settled on the Grand Mesa area for our September archery elk hunt. We'll be leaving on the 18th and coming back to TN on the 26th.

Grand Mesa is very different from my usual E-scouting I feel because of the giant anomoly in the middle of it (the actual mesa) so very few north facing slopes, water everywhere, huge parks on top of the mesa, etc. So I relied heavily on the Colorado ARCgis map and used it to give me some starting points based on ranges/migration Routes/etc combined with GoHunt advice and OnX roadless areas and have come up with Options A, B, C, D. Most of them not being actually on the Mesa.

So I say all of that backstory to hopefully separate myself from the usual "hey im going to this unit where should i go" posts by showing all of the effort and research put into it. I have a few specific questions below that are general in nature (if that makes sense). I also will be calling the biologist for that area at some point this summer when time gets a little closer and asking them specific questions.

1. Hiking on and off the Mesa: Based on Elevation profile on GE and just visually it seems like on the Lands end finger of the mesa, there may be edges that you can hike down besides Indian point at the end? Obviously it wont be fun hiking back up but if we were to park on top of the mesa and use the network of roads to be mobile as we move down our options list. Is this ridiculous or is it doable?

2. Roads on the Mesa: Based on the fact that hwy. 65 is a paved road that goes up onto the mesa and then a network of forest roads/trails off of that. I am assuming that since they are pretty flat on top of the mesa that I should have no problem with a 4x4 f150 on 35" a/t tires? Is that assumption correct or should I still get chains just in case.

3. Glassing / Calling: Obviously the mesa has a lot of open space, but I was curious if glassing off of the mesa down below is effective at all? There look to be a few clearings and such but on GE I cant differentiate low oak brush from taller trees. Just curious if using the mesa as a "peak" to glass/call from is a dumb idea or if it could be viable.

4. Pressure Expectations: Obviously its Colorado, so there will be a lot of hunters. However, is most of the pressure coming from guys hunting the top of the mesa because its easy and flat? If we put in the miles off the mesa are we likely to be able to not be bumping into people left and right?

Thanks in Advance! And if anyone is familiar with the unit and is willing to share any additional knowledge or tell me if my areas i'm looking at and options are totally in left field and nowhere near elk, I definitely would be appreciative for the opportunity to PM them.

11boo

WKR
More hunters up there than you have ever seen due to the extensive road/ATV trail network. Weekends are bombed from the local guys hitting it. But there are some elk up there, and they don’t bugle much. I have called in far more hunters than elk up there.
And just getting off the top of the Mesa will not get you away from hunters.

Phaseolus

WKR
I’m staring up at Indian point while quaffing my second cup of coffee.

1, Indian Point is at the end of a 3.5 mile mtn bike and hiking trail. It will be a decent walk to get to it. It divides the Kannah Creek drainage from the Southwest side of the Mesa In 41/411.

2. There aren’t a whole lot of backcountry roads open to trucks and cars. The ones that are open will make you hate yourself in a truck. There are lots of ATV less than 50” trails.

3. There are many places you can glass off of the Rim but many of these spots are difficult to get down to anything you see without a parachute. This is for the Western area of the Mesa. The eastern, northern, and south (generally) sides are very doable for getting down into. More elk will be found off of the top flatter areas and on the flanks of the Mesa, especially after they get the significant pressure that is found on the Mesa.

4. Like anywhere in Colorado there will be lots of pressure. Like anywhere in Colorado it will be less in the tougher spots. Many people hunting the ‘Grand Mesa Slopes’ come up from the bottom rather than hunting the flat top.

OP
jyoung1901
More hunters up there than you have ever seen due to the extensive road/ATV trail network. Weekends are bombed from the local guys hitting it. But there are some elk up there, and they don’t bugle much. I have called in far more hunters than elk up there.
And just getting off the top of the Mesa will not get you away from hunters.

I appreciate the response. When you say they don't bugle much, are your referring to the entire area around the mesa as well or just on the mesa. The area we went to in Montana last year was similar and a lot of our hunting was walking and cow calling if nothing was bugling,which we could do but its not near as exciting ha.

OP
jyoung1901
I’m staring up at Indian point while quaffing my second cup of coffee.

1, Indian Point is at the end of a 3.5 mile mtn bike and hiking trail. It will be a decent walk to get to it. It divides the Kannah Creek drainage from the Southwest side of the Mesa In 41/411.

2. There aren’t a whole lot of backcountry roads open to trucks and cars. The ones that are open will make you hate yourself in a truck. There are lots of ATV less than 50” trails.

3. There are many places you can glass off of the Rim but many of these spots are difficult to get down to anything you see without a parachute. This is for the Western area of the Mesa. The eastern, northern, and south (generally) sides are very doable for getting down into. More elk will be found off of the top flatter areas and on the flanks of the Mesa, especially after they get the significant pressure that is found on the Mesa.

4. Like anywhere in Colorado there will be lots of pressure. Like anywhere in Colorado it will be less in the tougher spots. Many people hunting the ‘Grand Mesa Slopes’ come up from the bottom rather than hunting the flat top.

Thanks for the well thought out response. We will be taking 2 atvs. Coming up from the bottom would be an idea, however looking at the western side of it I was afraid moving spots would require longer travel times because of having to pack up and drive around the Mesa to relocate. I will reconsider though as there has to a reason and it may be difficulty of getting on and off the mesa.

Phaseolus

WKR
I don’t think I’d aim for the west side of the Mesa. There are some huge chunks of private land and they don’t want you on it. I have hunted the edges of these pretty successfully though. A good map program that tells you the locations of these boundaries is essential. I used to hunt Whitewater Basin a lot. They started building a mtn bike trail across it last summer that they will be finishing this summer the presence of trail building machines and people changed it. It didn’t change the thick brush and thorny wild roses though. 411 has some hard to reach places, most people won’t go there twice. Don’t worry about mosquitos that time of year.

I hunted the Grand Mesa 2 Septembers in a row. Personally I would skip the top. We saw very few elk on top. Almost all of the elk were on the sides. We had some luck on the north side in open patches surrounded by dark timber. We hunted a little around Lands End and it is a popular spot for glassing from looking down below. Problem is it looks easy from above but when you get down in it there are lots of oak brush and the elk disappear easily. I think the best choice is to take an ATV on some of the roads that lead to the multiple reservoirs and hunt off the sides.

I hunted first rifle in the Grand Mesa units two years ago, but never made it to the actual Mesa. I was on the eastern portions of the units, closer to the junction of 52/521/421. The ATV use in that area was like nothing I have ever experienced before. There is an incredible amount of ecological diversity in the area depending on your elevation. If you make your way over to Paonia there is a place with fantastic breakfast sandwiches.

OP
jyoung1901
I don’t think I’d aim for the west side of the Mesa. There are some huge chunks of private land and they don’t want you on it. I have hunted the edges of these pretty successfully though. A good map program that tells you the locations of these boundaries is essential. I used to hunt Whitewater Basin a lot. They started building a mtn bike trail across it last summer that they will be finishing this summer the presence of trail building machines and people changed it. It didn’t change the thick brush and thorny wild roses though. 411 has some hard to reach places, most people won’t go there twice. Don’t worry about mosquitos that time of year.

Thanks for the information! We will be using ONx for navigation. Thorny wild roses huh? That sounds like a ton of fun haha. Yeah i was looking in 411 around some of the creeks coming off the mesa area to the south east, sounds like gnarly country if that's included in the area most people wont go twice.

Thanks for clearing up about the bugs, dealing with bug spray and thermacell all week wouldnt be a ton of fun. No shower for 7 days, thats a lot of deet build up haha.

OP
jyoung1901
I hunted the Grand Mesa 2 Septembers in a row. Personally I would skip the top. We saw very few elk on top. Almost all of the elk were on the sides. We had some luck on the north side in open patches surrounded by dark timber. We hunted a little around Lands End and it is a popular spot for glassing from looking down below. Problem is it looks easy from above but when you get down in it there are lots of oak brush and the elk disappear easily. I think the best choice is to take an ATV on some of the roads that lead to the multiple reservoirs and hunt off the sides.

Thanks for the input! Yeah i'm trying to differentiate oak brush from timber on my GE. I haven't dealt with oak brush or wild thorny roses before, Montana was mostly deadfall. We weren't planning on really hunting the top, our plan is more along the line of your suggestions.

What was your experience as far as vocalization? Phaseolus was saying elk didn't bugle much but he may have been talking about on top of the mesa.

gbflyer

WKR
My experience is on the S slope of the Mesa. Steep and nasty, slide rock and blow down. Lots of water. Don’t be afraid of hunting close to hwy 65. The elk don’t mind the road. Plenty of private scattered around and as noted above they don’t want you in there. Beautiful country. Bring a fishing rod. I’d disagree about the bugs. I live in Alaska and the mosquitoes on Grand Mesa can rival anything I’ve seen here.

I only remember 1 bull bugling when he came in and he was the head cheese in those parts. He had about a dozen cows with him. All of the rest came in quietly. I do remember glassing bulls in the evening way down in a hole from up top that were bugling just before dark but when down there never heard a peep.

OP
jyoung1901
My experience is on the S slope of the Mesa. Steep and nasty, slide rock and blow down. Lots of water. Don’t be afraid of hunting close to hwy 65. The elk don’t mind the road. Plenty of private scattered around and as noted above they don’t want you in there. Beautiful country. Bring a fishing rod. I’d disagree about the bugs. I live in Alaska and the mosquitoes on Grand Mesa can rival anything I’ve seen here.

I have been to Alaska 3 times so your mosquito assessment is terrifying hahah! Ill bring some just in case. Yeah there are a couple of spots near 65 I have picked out as potential spots to check out.

Phaseolus

WKR
In the summer the mosquitos are terrifying, in mid September lower temperatures have pretty much taken care of them. I wasn’t the one who talked about bugling but they have been pretty quiet because of pressure the last ten years. It’s kind of like one of my older neighbors dogs. He learned pretty fast to be quiet, or at least when and where he could bark without being shot with a BB gun. Elk are like that too.

Riplip

WKR
Don't underestimate how thick and difficult the scrub oak can be. What looks navigable from google earth or glassing can be almost impossible to walk in! I have hunted the area a few times and that stuff will mess with your mind.

Beendare

WKR
I hunted Indian point over 3 decades ago when there were few archery hunters........now you will be hitting the trail with 20 of your closest friends; Ready...Set...Go!

BTW, Saw the biggest mulie I've ever seen on Indian point....still to this day.

These OTC units are all about the same when it comes to elk hunting [even though they are all different topography] the key is to find the pockets of elk...........and they are always away from the hunter pressure.

You need to lace up your boots for that.

_______-

All those roads on the GM mean one thing. Hunters! Alot of those roads are atv trails so ya may want to bring one. I took my f150 as far up Middle Leon Creek as I dared and surprised I did not damage the brand new work truck.

The elk where I hunted avoided the "open park" areas. ATVs and UTVs were abound and everywhere. Still I managed to get away from hunters and call a few elk into bow range. Just be forewarned that there are no secret spots up there and the Western Slope locals of Grand Junction, Palasade, Rifle and surrounding area know where to hunt. I could live there one day. Colbran definitely has my interest......

I appreciate the response. When you say they don't bugle much, are your referring to the entire area around the mesa as well or just on the mesa. The area we went to in Montana last year was similar and a lot of our hunting was walking and cow calling if nothing was bugling,which we could do but its not near as exciting ha.
They can be call shy

Here is what he posted on another thread:

Be patient and enjoy being in nature. If you aren’t finding fresh sign move within your unit or to a different unit until you find sign. After that I have no advice. We are currently on our way back to TN after 7 days spend in 4 different units in different parts of the state. Chased one bugle in the nastiest canyon on the second day. Other than that didn’t hear a thing. The last unit we were in was loaded with fresh sign and was a dark timber north facing slope (hours old scat, rubs, wallows). We spend two days putting in about 13 miles (not on trails, about 2 miles from any trails) and going all the way up to 11k feet. We knew nothing was bugling after the first day, so began creeping along benches about 3/4 the way up, cow calling every 30-40 yards hoping to catch a bull in bed that would sound off.

What finally took the wind out of our sails was bumping a bull within 30 yards of him in his bed, knowing he had to have heard 3 series of cow calls. Wind was good. We had no idea he was there, and he refused to make a sound. We proceeded up the mountain and found a pretty fresh wallow and hours old bull scat. Sat that wallow the whole afternoon, nada.

We ran out of tactics honestly, talked to a local who had hunted the unit for 25 years and he was baffled as well. He also has a buddy that guides in a highly coveted draw unit adjacent to ours and said they had only taken 2 bulls and only seen/heard 3-4 in one of the largest herds home range in the state. Said they were fired up for a few days in the snow then went silent.