GPS Tracker?

bigbuckdj

WKR
I am looking for a GPS tracker like angel sense but something more rugged with longer battery life.

I have a young autistic son and my wife has a ton of anxiety when i bring him in the woods. I havent had any issues with him but if it calms her nerves, this isnt the hill I want to die on. I need something that functions without cell service/bluetooth, is pretty rugged, and has good battery life.

I was thinking I would just throw a small garmin dog tracker like a garmin T5 in his vest. Is there some other GPS device that would work well for this that I am not thinking of?

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
we use a few of these (4g) for our drones. Pretty small and hold up well for what we use them for

Last edited:

Rommel013

FNG
I have the Garmin Alpha 100 and a pair of T10 collars for my pups - it would do fine - the collar batteries will outlast the handheld.
It would be $500-700 if you find one used to get into, not sure what your threshold of pain for pricing is.

Marlin604

FNG
Garmin InReach devices are on sale now for black Friday. They have the ability to share your location with loved ones back home and can send texts via the device or Garmin Messenger app on your paired cell phone.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Did you find something? My SpotX updates pins to maps people can log on and watch in real time. I have mine set to pin every ten minutes. No phone service required to work with it. Stand alone satellite system.
Also, I usually forget to shut the thing off and it sits in my pack in the cold truck for a week at a time and when I get back in I realize its still on. Thing will have half a battery or more. Its crazy. I only charge it a couple times a season.

Gun&BowSD

Lil-Rokslider
Also, it has a handy dandy SOS button right on it. Gets the cavalry coming. Trust me. I accidentally hit it (messing with it in the menu, the physical button is under a cover) in Idaho, but canceled it immediately. Spot called damn near every person in my family until my wife calmed everyone down and told them I was probably being dumb and pressed it by accident. But they were on it!

I recommend checking out the Garmin devices. They have several different models at various price points. They use the Iridium satellite system which is reported to have the widest and most reliable coverage. Be aware that in addition to the purchase price there is also an ongoing subscription cost.