Got my new duplex, with mixed emotions

So I ordered a duplex as I think it will be more versitile for switching from hauler/dayhunting/high country hunts. I had a T2 and as luck would have it I was delivering it today (sold it to buy the duplex) and the duplex arrived just a couple hours before I left. So I got weight in both of them and walked about. The first thing I noticed was the duplex comes up much higher from around the head. It seemed to handle the weight minorly better but I imagine the advantage grows as the weight gets heavier, I had about 40 lbs sandbag I was using. But I am having a little sellers remorse as I like how your head has so much more room compared to the duplex. I will probably end up cutting the handle strap on the duplex just to give my head more room. Just thought it was interesting I never figured that there would be such a big differense between the duplex and timberline packs.

Last edited:

dotman

WKR
Might want to give the bikini a try before you start cutting it up.

OP
pyroducksx3
The first pic is the duplex. The second is the T2. I was really suprised how much more room I had around my head compared to the duplex. Both are 26" composite stays. Hopefully I adjust well to the duplex as I have sold the T2

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 419
OP
pyroducksx3
The bikini will be even worse as there is a bar where the strap is located and as such wont be removable.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Looks like you had 24" stays in the Timberline and 26" on the Duplex? That might be part of the reason?? But seriously how restrictive is it going to be?? I have never felt my head was restricted by wearing the duplex....I'd really have to crane my neck when the pack is loaded to make serious contact with the frame so that I couldn't look up a steep hill. But to each their own. I think you'll really like the extra frame height and stability of the duplex though..

OP
pyroducksx3
Well I ordered a 26" timberline I am assuming that's what I recieved? And my head runs into the duplex pretty easily but I imagine once I cut out that handle it will help

Well I ordered a 26" timberline I am assuming that's what I recieved? And my head runs into the duplex pretty easily but I imagine once I cut out that handle it will help

I would put a tape on both frames. From your pic it looks like two different frame lengths.

OP
pyroducksx3
I am going to run it for awhile without cutting anything and I agree I think it is going to handle heavier weight better.

armyjoe

Super Moderator
x2 on the tape. Really looks like a 24 vs 26 to me. Agree with Luke too, that I've only had a head issue when looking up a pretty steep angle.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
And my head runs into the duplex pretty easily but I imagine once I cut out that handle it will help

Can't see how your head gets too restricted in the pic....but if its a minor annoyance cutting the handle strap won't solve it as once you get a packbag on there it'll be right near where the handle is and you can't cut that off...so before you go all crazy hacking up your duplex frame. If its that big of an issue the Timberline may very well be your huckleberry, but I think you'll find once you get it loaded up and actually hiking it'll be just fine.

sk1

WKR
I felt like my head was restricted with my dt1, but I got used to it mostly....just kinda feels like I always have to slightly lean forward and my neck gets sore. It is so much more comfortable even with that than any pack I have ever worn so I don't mind the little bit of neck discomfort.

Lawnboi

WKR
how tall are you? ^^ this is why I went with 24" stays on the bikini frame I ordered. Had 26 on my T1, just way too much un needed height, it restricted me looking up with the pack on.

littlebuf

Banned
ive always thought the timberline packs are pretty hard to beat. the duplex really looks like a different animal to me, looks great if your looking for a more modular style pack but for simplicity and function the timberlines are my choice. DT's just seem unnessicarly bulky, but thats probably just my perception,theres certainly lots of DT fans out there . hope you can get used to it,if not they sell pretty fast and eveybodys selling there timberlines for the next greatest pack ever(bikkini,at least for a few more months).its the great thing about gear junkies,youll find a good deal on gear that didnt need to be replaced in the first place...

OP
pyroducksx3
I'm 6'2". I was just trying it on again and I'm thinking I will get used to it. Its just different than my T2

I'm 6'4 and never had problems with my duplex. Maybe your body shape doesn't like the duplex? You won't be sorry with it though. That frame can haul a serious load. And its built like a damn tank.

First pic looked fine to me. Why do you want to lean your head all the way back? Just think of it as mountain lion ambush protection for your neck. They can never get you through that duplex frame.

OP
pyroducksx3
I think I will like it fine and it probably fits me just like everyone else. I actually thinks its more comfortable on my back than the T2. I think I was just expecting it to be the same , reguarding around the head, as my T2 is all and its not its different, Ill wear it a bit and see how I like it. I need to order a DT1 now ;)

tstowater

WKR
First pic looked fine to me. Why do you want to lean your head all the way back? Just think of it as mountain lion ambush protection for your neck. They can never get you through that duplex frame.

A new selling point for Kifaru. I'll bet they never thought of their pack quite that way.:)