Got in a Morning Workout of Coyote Curls!

TheGDog

WKR
Today got in a morning Workout of Coyote Curls!

This time I tried Hevi-Bismuth Duck Loads and Boy did that work Righteously!

1st set a stealthy Bobcat showed up super quick. But they're banned ATM (Grrr..."Thanks 'Newscum!', ya D!ck)

2nd set, female comes in to one of the various Baby Jack calls on the FoxPro X24, very quickly! I stuffed the caller about belly height into a Juniper. No decoy this time.
20230107_134634.jpg20230107_134900.jpg20230107_134958.jpg20230107_134802.jpg

EDIT: The pic of the yote on the ground by my pack and shotgun... the caller was stuffed into that Juniper out in front in the sun. She came in, heading into the morning sun, around the side of the Juniper closest to me. Then when she reached the Jumiper, I'm assuming she smelled my scent on the caller, and began heading away from the area, further into the direction of the Sun. I popped her about 7yds away from the Juniper in an opening between pieces of the rabbit brush.

Last edited:
OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
QUESTION:
I had to carry this Coyote a good ways back to the truck (maybe 300-400yds?)... and I didn't want to just drag him and mess up the fur... so what I did was one hand grabbing a pair of legs, and the other hand grabbing the second pair of legs.

Problem with that though... was with the fur and all, maintaining my grip with the liner gloves on was getting progressively harder as the distance wore on. Having to stop and shake-out my hands for a sec., then re-grip and pick back up and try again.

Also now my trapezius/neck junction, while not bad sore, has some soreness... so I figured I'd ask what other people are using to help with carrying them over distances? I didn't want to just throw him over my shoulder and get my pack all scented up with it's blood and urine, is why I chose to carry in the fashion I mentioned.

I'm figuring people must be rigging up something with paracord or something? So thought I'd ask just in case anybody had any pointers on that. Thanks.

I don’t take the coyotes anywhere, I usually just leave them. What about rigging up a kids snow sled to drag them behind you? Without snow this will probably suck, but I am out of options for you.

Huntin Fool

Lil-Rokslider
They are almost worthless right now, but fortunately with snow you can just throw some rope on a leg and drag them back

5135077D-E75D-49F9-9B9E-21655DE16661.png5135077D-E75D-49F9-9B9E-21655DE16661.png
This is what I use, the rings on the end of the ropes make it basically a slip knot around their legs. I usually do one back leg and the opposite front leg and mouth on the other one, doubles as a tail stripper.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
OK.. so can you show a pic that demos how you use this tool for the "packer" part? My goal is to not have the yote dragging the ground.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
I don’t take the coyotes anywhere, I usually just leave them. What about rigging up a kids snow sled to drag them behind you? Without snow this will probably suck, but I am out of options for you.
The sled idea was a good thought. But another goal is to be quiet. I want to be able to lift them off the ground, while not killing my gripping muscles.

OK.. so can you show a pic that demos how you use this tool for the "packer" part? My goal is to not have the yote dragging the ground.
1C5E3979-01A7-4547-807D-34BF365DE469.pngI don’t do it exactly like this. For example: I’ll put the back right leg in one rope. Front left leg in the other rope along with the bottom jaw. If you get it around the canines it will hold the head up off the ground as well. You could probably use all 4 feet as the picture shows I just do opposites and it works fine.

Rufus

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Gdog. I’ve attached/strapped a 5 gallon bucket to my pack, kind of like the old style trapping basket packs. Works well for things like hauling traps and critters. Keeps the mess off the pack.

OP
TheGDog

TheGDog

WKR
View attachment 498376I don’t do it exactly like this. For example: I’ll put the back right leg in one rope. Front left leg in the other rope along with the bottom jaw. If you get it around the canines it will hold the head up off the ground as well. You could probably use all 4 feet as the picture shows I just do opposites and it works fine.
Cool! OK sweet perfect! Nice and cheap solution too. I knew somebody who gets to go out more than I do would know the answer right away. Do these strippers work better too? I bought one, it's aluminum, and was underwhelmed with it's performance so far. Damn near pulled my shoulder outta socket how damn hard I was pulling on the thing with that last yote. And the tail wasn't budging. Other noted that I should split the tail down the vertebrae a little BEFORE trying to use the strippers. I'll try that with this one when I get chance to go back and finish. The hide is in the freezer ATM. I just used an axe and lopped the tail vertebrae off at the base. Figure at home I'd maybe clamp the tail vertebrae in vise when it's time to bother with stripping it off.

I actually strip by hand actually. I’ll skin 5+ inches with a knife and work it down and then just wrap my right hand around the tail bone and use my left hand to hold the base of the tail against the carcass. As far as your hide in the freezer, use baling wire to wrap around the base of the tail and hang it from the ceiling. If I had to guess without watching you skin, you’re not skinning it far enough down the tail far enough before trying to pull it. Use your knife and cut down the underside of the tail and then don’t try to pull until you’ve worked the skin around the tail bone down to your cut. If I had one to skin I’d take a picture what you want to look for before you pull.