Google Earth is...

ktowncamo

WKR
...consuming my every spare moment (and more), but I'm loving every minute of it. Is it archery season yet?!!!

Your turn. Finish the statement from the title.

sk1

WKR
...saving me many miles.

haha i just refreshed the new posts before bed, i just closed google earth i told myself it was time to quit for the night, and then i looked for another 20 minutes....finally closed it!

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
lying to me! That nine mile hike looked so easy from above. Which I did hike and it just about killed my fat ass!

Last edited:

lorneparker1

Lil-Rokslider
lying to me! That nine mile hike looked so easy from above. Which I did hike and it just about killed my fat ass!

Hahaha this is me forsure. I cant count how many times things looked fairly simple on google earth and were a complete disaster when I got there!

swat8888

WKR
Awesome because they finally sent a satellite over my hunting grounds and I can now see a lot of places to check out.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Awesome because they finally sent a satellite over my hunting grounds and I can now see a lot of places to check out.

I'm the opposite, I hope the images remain blurry in my hunting area :)

I get on GE is a great tool, but like some of you mentioned it can be deceiving when its just a "scroll of the mouse" up and over this or that pass. :D

luke moffat

Super Moderator
I use another program. GE is pretty limited in what it can use for data.

Right on...I rarely find myself wanting for more than what GE does for me. Get elevation profiles of paths you lined out, has pics on certain areas ready to be clicked on (though most are in the wrong spot ;), measure distance...heck even measure area, show park boundaries and what not. Can't really think of what else I am missing as I am generally blessed to not worry so much about where private property is at...though there are other avenues to attain that info as well.

Right on...I rarely find myself wanting for more than what GE does for me. Get elevation profiles of paths you lined out, has pics on certain areas ready to be clicked on (though most are in the wrong spot ;), measure distance...heck even measure area, show park boundaries and what not. Can't really think of what else I am missing as I am generally blessed to not worry so much about where private property is at...though there are other avenues to attain that info as well.

Hey Luke, have you tried the USGS topo overlay for Alaska? It's quite useful to able to overlay topo on top of imagery and click back in forth between the two in one program. You can get it from the Mapped Alaska website. http://www.alaskamapped.org/data/google-earth-kml-files/ Also the "best data layer" for Alaska has better photos for few areas of Alaska, which can be handy.

Yk

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Hey Luke, have you tried the USGS topo overlay for Alaska? It's quite useful to able to overlay topo on top of imagery and click back in forth between the two in one program. You can get it from the Mapped Alaska website. http://www.alaskamapped.org/data/google-earth-kml-files/ Also the "best data layer" for Alaska has better photos for few areas of Alaska, which can be handy.

Yk

Yeah I tried it and clicked back and forth between layers, but believe it or not I prefer a standard topo on one screen and GE on the other when ruining two monitors. :D

Beastmode

WKR
...ruining many hunting areas

You can say this about all of technology. I think thay all this technology making it easier to go farther and spot animals at longer distances etc..., makes it so we have to be that much better than the next guy. Shoot more, train more, and physically get out there and scout more.

Bottom line is you have to want to be the best guy on the mountain.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
If you can't keep it civil and make a positive contribution to this site, leave!

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I love it also. Agree with the lying part for sure. For the colorado guys here the CDOW has a great mapping system. It's awesome because you can switch between satellite image and topo. I really like that feature.