Good scope for my 270 deer rifle?

Deer season just ended here in California and I'm planning on upgrading my scope for next year. I have a Savage 116 with a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 - It really sucks in low light. Where I hunt the farthest shot would be around 300 yards, but most shots would be inside of 150. I'm currently looking at the Leupold vx3 or vx5. What do you guys think is the best scope for $1000 or less? Also which reticle do you prefer? I was looking into the firedot duplex or windplex.

VinoVino

Lil-Rokslider
You could do a lot worse than a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with the MIL-Dot crosshair. Thinking of putting one on my .260 for next year.

I’m currently running a Swaro Z3 3-10x42 with the BRH reticle on my 270. I like it, despite not being bomb proof.

In the sub $1k range, I would look for a used Nightforce SHV with the MOAR reticle. I've seen the 4-14, and the 5-20 for $800-1000.

I own several VX5HDs and they have some of the best glass for their price point. The image is bright and clear right up until dark and the Fov is huge.

If your shots are limited to 300 yards, I wouldn’t worry about the wind-plex reticle. I would get the firedot duplex.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
300yds, 1000 dollars….nightforce shv 3-10. For those types of distances I like plex reticles. Not sure the leupold wind plex makes much sense. The shv 3-10 has center illumination.

The trijicon are also on sale at euro optic. Not sure if the sale is over or not but they were having some screaming deals. I got a tenmile HX for around 1000 dollars off.

Alg22

FNG
Let me know if interested in Schmidt & Bender 3-12x42, older made in West Germany.
Glass is sharp. Has wear marks. Came from my father in law’s collection. I could make a deal in $800 range.

Someone just posted about some nightforce scope being on sale and several options under $1k. That’s where I would start.

I wonder how many people on here jump at a FFP reticle Nightforce recommendation for a traditional hunting rifle, only to find they can’t see the reticle lol.

I see a lot of folks recommending FFP target scopes for people that want a hunting scope and might not have any experience with FFP.

83cj-7

WKR
I vote VX5 3-15x44 with the wind plex and learn how to shoot in wind. Solid choice for anything you’ll ever need a scope for. Don’t listen to the naysayers, I’ve had and used lots of them and only one didn’t track perfect by 2%. Just my $.02

I vote VX5 3-15x44 with the wind plex and learn how to shoot in wind. Solid choice for anything you’ll ever need a scope for. Don’t listen to the naysayers, I’ve had and used lots of them and only one didn’t track perfect by 2%. Just my $.02

I’ve got the Wind Plex reticle on one of my VX5HDs and it’s excellent.

KenLee

WKR
Accupoint 2.5-10x56 or Zeiss demo V4 3-12x56. 4a reticle with small dot.
Leupold dots suck (to my eyes) in very low light.

KenLee

WKR
I wonder how many people on here jump at a FFP reticle Nightforce recommendation for a traditional hunting rifle, only to find they can’t see the reticle lol.

I see a lot of folks recommending FFP target scopes for people that want a hunting scope and might not have any experience with FFP.
True.
SFP heavy duplex or 4a for a 270 shooting no farther than 300 yards, as OP said. Don't want or need a cluttered reticle.
Also someone wanting a good low light scope under a grand doesn't need to be looking at a Nightforce.

True.
SFP heavy duplex or 4a for a 270 shooting no farther than 300 yards, as OP said. Don't want or need a cluttered reticle.
Also someone wanting a good low light scope under a grand doesn't need to be looking at a Nightforce.

Agreed. I see some group thinkers automatically say “Nightforce” with every scope recommendation.

Let me pile on with a few of the others and recommend the Accupoint 3-9x40. I've been eyeballing the green mildot version for close to a year and reading every review I could find. I plan on putting it on a light 30-06 for areas where my shots will always be inside of 350 yds.

Priced at just over $600, I don't think you can find a better scope for shooting things at last light. It's lightweight, made in Japan, and has battery-free illumination.