Good camera for wildlife/ landscape photography

Looking to buy my first camera for landwcaoe and wildlife photography.
I’d prefer to buy once, cry once. I’ve been eyeing up the Nikon d5600 and 7500.

Good morning. Had you been looking for a camera 3-4 years ago then you were looking in the right place. Today Nikon has pretty much stopped making all DSLR's except for the D850.
Everything is mirrorless today and they are the last one to get to "the party"
The way to go for action and wilderness photography is Olympus and Sony. All of the Olympus cameras above the entry level are weatherproof, as are most of their lenses. All of their cameras have built in 5 axis image stabilization, considered the best in the industry.
Olympus uses a micro 4/3 sensor which allows the cameras and lenses to be smaller then most of the competition. Sony has had #1 market share in the USA for full frame cameras since January of 2018!! Not a missprint!!!

Give me a call to discuss the options that best suit what your needs are. Make sure to mention Rokslide as we always to our best for members here!!.. Thanks for the support

Joel
516-217-1000

OP
Mdfowlman2
Good morning. Had you been looking for a camera 3-4 years ago then you were looking in the right place. Today Nikon has pretty much stopped making all DSLR's except for the D850.
Everything is mirrorless today and they are the last one to get to "the party"
The way to go for action and wilderness photography is Olympus and Sony. All of the Olympus cameras above the entry level are weatherproof, as are most of their lenses. All of their cameras have built in 5 axis image stabilization, considered the best in the industry.
Olympus uses a micro 4/3 sensor which allows the cameras and lenses to be smaller then most of the competition. Sony has had #1 market share in the USA for full frame cameras since January of 2018!! Not a missprint!!!

Give me a call to discuss the options that best suit what your needs are. Make sure to mention Rokslide as we always to our best for members here!!.. Thanks for the support

Joel
516-217-1000
Joel,
Great speaking with you. Can you pm me the camera you mentioned. I believe it was the m5 mark3

Wapiti1

WKR
I moved totally to Olympus last year from Canon. My travel kit dropped 20 lbs in weight. Full frame gear is big and heavy.

It's not all wine and roses, and you need to learn to work around the system differences, but it's a solid system. Especially if you backpack. The latest bodies are extremely capable, and as mentioned weather sealed.

It was the right move for my style and needs. The size advantage is worth the tradeoff on sensor size. IMO, you have to go full frame to really get any advantage, there though. APS-C isn't much different.

Jeremy

The Canon 7D MKII would be my choice. It has a bombproof body and is generally a workhorse of a camera. The crop sensor gives you a little extra zoom too. There are tons of Canon and 3rd party lenses that work with the camera too. You can also buy the body and rent top of the line L telephoto lenses for when you go out.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I do not know much about camera's at all and by no means is this advice but just my opinion on what has worked well for me. I went with a Sony A6000 with a few different lenses and its treated me very well. the User Interface is a bit to learn but once you do learn it, became much easier for me. There are some fantastic lenses that you can get for Sony Mirrorless. I have not regretted my decision at all. The A6000 is a few years back but its very affordable platform that if your just getting into the photography stuff makes it a much easier pill to swallow. That is what I found attractive not to mention their is a huge fanbase that swears by the Sony Mirrorless.

I went with a Canon EOS 5R and their 70-200 F/2.8. When funds allow I'll pick up their 100-500 as well. The camera takes amazing photos but it wasn't cheap.

northernalpine

Lil-Rokslider
Nice pick up! If you want to do wide angle or macro photography - a shorter fixed length / low f stop is a good one to add in the camera bag at some point.

OP
Mdfowlman2
So I ended up picking up a new Sony A7iii with the kit lens from cameraland. As usual Joel took great care of a Rokslide member.

Last edited:
It is important that you choose a camera that can take some abuse. I went with the Sony A7ii, which is great. Ultimately, I think it comes down to personal feel and comfort using operations/features.

So I ended up picking up a new Sony A7iii with the kit lens from cameraland. As usual Joel took great care of a Rokslide member.
I was thinking I was late to the party and also surprised no one had recommended Sony but it looks like you were led in the right direction. Great choice!

Being a fan of forums, or at least this one, you may want to check out fredmiranda.com . It's a great camera/photo forum and there are some very helpful and amazing photographers within the Sony subsection in particular (where I used to hang out). Last resource to mention, with how expensive lenses can be, I've used lensrentals.com for a few trips where I wanted something specific but wasn't going to drop $2,500 on a lens. You may have a local resource to do similar but it was easy to drop the lens off at FedEx in Jackson, WY once I was done shooting and heading off to play but wanted to end my rental period.

Enjoy!

qotsa23

FNG
I like the Canon full frame cameras. The Canon RP is reasonable for a mirrrorless and Canon now has some relatively inexpensive telephoto lenses to go with it.

Jeff338

FNG
Classified Approved
Mirrorless forsure Canon R6ll is a lot of camera for the money.

Old Dog

FNG
I've shot Nikon for 40 years (good lord I'm old) and had really good luck with them. I still have a D500 and a 70-200 2.8 that I use for sports work. If your budget is used gear the D500 is a crop frame is very capable and can be found at a responsible price.

If I was starting out and wanted a brand new system for wildlife I'd probably go with Sony. I don't do much wildlife stuff any more, mostly portraits and travel and I went with Fuji mirrorless.

Whatever you get, remember that the gear is about 15% of the equation, the photographer is what actually makes or breaks the image. If you give a good photographer a mediocre camera he/she will still come back with good images, the reverse will not be true.

The Sony A7000 has been rumored for years. The best bet right now in entry level mirrorless cameras are the Canon R100 and R50. Both available in 2 lens kits at reasonable prices. Both cameras are easy to use, compact, 4k video and both lenses that come with the 2 lens kits are stabilized lenses. The R50 has a flip out screen that flips around as well. The R100 screen is stationary.

You can call me at 516-217-1000 with any questions

Joel