GMU 15 Solo 3rd Rifle Elk - Pack Out Services?

Jason H

FNG
I'm heading out next week for my first solo Elk hunt (3rd Rifle) and since I've packed a bull before and appreciate what that entails, I'd like to have an option for an outfitter to pack out if 1) I am fortunate and 2) it's in a tough spot. I will be in GMU 15. Does anyone have any recommendations on outfitters to call? I've tried a few and understandably they are tied up with their booked clients. Much appreciated for any input offered.

Thanks - Jason H

These guys are always recommended. I've never been able to get anyone on the phone but now that the season has been going for a while, you may have better luck- https://steamboathorses.com/camps/hunting/

I'm also heading to unit 15 possibly as well for 3rd rifle. Talked to cpw today and they said the elk are moving down and west. She actually suggested heading west to unit 13 even as I'm looking at leftover tags. Definitely call them for the latest info on movement and storms etc. Good luck!

OP
J

Jason H

FNG
Thanks for the reply. I’ll see if I can get them on the line. When I spoke with the Yampa Rangers Office on Monday, they said no outfitters were working that Unit this season. I may just have to rely on my back up plan if I connect on one.

Yeah, hearing decent reports of weather moving them down and out now. Good luck to you. PM me if you want to try and stay connected through the hunt.

Have a great season!