Gluten Free?

Takeem406

WKR
Why the sudden craze of gluten free products? My mom has a gluten allergy and I get that.
But it seems a lot of people are going gluten free when they don't "need" to.

Just saw Mr Hanes eating "gluten free bread" on Facebook, so it got me wondering why "healthy" people chose this?

My grandpa was a wheat fsrmer in Montana's Golden Triangle along with my father inlaw so the idea if eating bread that's not whole grain is perverse lol.

Just curious.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Look into the paleo and primal diets. The theory is our bodies aren't designed for them nor the quantity of carbs we consume and that's why we get fat, among other related issues.

Downwind

FNG
Try reading Wheat Belly and Grain Brain. Some interesting theories on why grains, in general, should be avoided. They had some good arguments and I decided to try it put. I already train 5-6 days a week and consider myself in good shape. Biggest improvement for me is my joint paint essentially disappeared. Also have a lot more energy roo.

I was sick for 4 years with various stomach issues and have been gluten free for a month all my issues pretty much have gone away. My mom also has Celiac she is happy more and more is coming out for products. There is still a lot of unknown about the whole gluten thing. Doctors don't seem to know anything even though my mom has been that way for 30 years

LandYacht

WKR
Just wait for the next few diet, gluten free will be forgotten like all the others, and some other evil component will be blamed on our more sedentary, processed food, high sugar (this will be the next one, or should be-lots of hidden sugar) lifestyle that we live.

I know I feel better when I stick to fruits and veggies for my carbs, don't know if it's a hoax, but I think if it makes you feel good then go for it.

I ate some pork rinds yesterday that said gluten free. No shit Sherlock. Some people have legitimate sensitivity to gluten but it's a fraction of the people who buy gluten-free because they think it's healthier. For the vast majority of people, it's just marketing. People have been eating wheat and other gluten containing products for thousands of years. Seems odd we just figured out it wasn't good for us in the last 10.

elkguide

WKR
As one who was taking Zantac like candy to keep my stomach calmed down and within a week of trying my Doctors suggestion of backing off on gluten, my stomach and joint issues went away, I'm a poster boy for gluten free products.

Now having been farm raised and fed only food that my mother made, it seemed unlikely that I should have an issue.
Throughout the last 5+ years that I have been gluten free and trust me, if it wasn't a real issue, I wouldn't do it as most all of the gluten free foods taste like a dirt sandwich, what I have discovered is that with the advances in crop yields and the vast advances in production, thusly making wheat, barley and the gluten derived from them, cheap, gluten is being used as a filler in most everything. Gluten is even found in many ice creams! Some of the leading Doctors have come to the conclusion is that essentially, we are seeing people with gluten overloads in their systems. The human body can absorb and utilize a certain amount of most of these products but when it reaches that saturation level it says enough is enough and causes the negative reactions that some of us get. Each of our systems are different and some have no issue with gluten or whatever their system can or can't tolerate, while others react.

There are lots of people that go gluten free as a healthy diet or as a fad or for who knows what reason but there are real issues for many of us that are suffering from a gluten overload and are now learning to eat an entirely different way. It is a less tasty and much more expensive way but I do accept it and am now eating more meat, potatoes, vegetables and fruits than ever.

So for what it's worth, you can't imagine what I would give to be able to eat a Ritz cracker or to have a steak marinated in teriyaki sauce!

OP
Takeem406

Takeem406

WKR
I understand the carb thing. My dietitian had me cut out carbs at night and that helps a lot. Then just moderate the carbs, fruits and whole grains during the day.

cutup75

FNG
My wife and niece have Celiac and both have been GF for over 4yrs. My niece had stomach issues, got really bad headaches and had really bad skin problems. 4yrs of GF eating and she's now all cleared up and feels totally normal. She basically went from eating anything to being very selective and reading every label before she buys anything.

My wife, when she's eaten gluten her joints swell in her hands/feet to the point where she can't bend them. She's extremely active running marathons/teaching yoga/is a massage therapist, so she had to stop eating gluten.

I see first hand how a GF diet helps people with issues like that. If it helps, why not do it?

RCR

Lil-Rokslider
Why the sudden craze of gluten free products? My mom has a gluten allergy and I get that.
But it seems a lot of people are going gluten free when they don't "need" to.

Just saw Mr Hanes eating "gluten free bread" on Facebook, so it got me wondering why "healthy" people chose this?

My grandpa was a wheat fsrmer in Montana's Golden Triangle along with my father inlaw so the idea if eating bread that's not whole grain is perverse lol.

Just curious.

Unfortunately, the need for gluten free foods isn't an option for many. This includes me, my wife, and our two children. We each carry either a gluten intolerant gene, or a celiac gene. I have long had gut and intestinal issues, but it wasn't until my son was tested for celiac that we became aware of all of our issues. Interestingly, many of my families symptoms are psychological as much as they are physical. Shortness of temper, easily distracted, etc.

When all this started with our family I had to ask, what is gluten? According to the Celiac Disease Foundation, "Gluten is a general name for the proteins found in wheat (durum, emmer, spelt, farina, farro, KAMUT® khorasan wheat and einkorn), rye, barley and triticale. Gluten helps foods maintain their shape, acting as a glue that holds food together." Read more at https://celiac.org/live-gluten-free/glutenfreediet/what-is-gluten/#8Xumx4qofIu5gwBJ.99

I'm a firm believer the apparent rise in gluten (wheat protein) related diseases and its negative affects on our bodies is due to the development of genetically modified wheat grown in our country. I'm 50 now and my parents are 83. My parents didn't have the kinds of issues my family does, likely because they didn't consume as much of the genetically modified products as my generation and my kids generation has. Regardless of whether you believe that or not, the truth is there are many more people being diagnosed with gluten issues and celiac disease than ever before.

This is serious stuff for many people. If it goes undiagnosed or treated the gluten will destroy the villi in the small intestine, which leads to malnutrition. Some people are so sensitive to it they can't ingest a single crumb of bread or share pots and pans that have been used to prepare food with gluten in it.

And yes, I MISS REGULAR BREAD .. and pasta, and pie, and ... you get the picture. :)

BTW, a good topic for another thread is backcountry food for food allergies. Might have to start one if it hasn't been covered yet/recently.

bbell

WKR
I am glad it is the in fad right now. My wife and second daughter found out they were celiac last year. I can't imagine trying to get food that isnt contaminated for them. Always thought it was hippie stuff but got to see first hand the change.

ChrisS

WKR
An interesting take on this is that some think gluten intolerance (not celiac) is linked to bread not being made with a traditional sour dough ferment.

Ymmv.

Hoot

WKR
Another take on "gluten intolerance" is that whole grains have been modified so much to stand up to industrial farming (combines, etc.) that our bodies are bound to have reactions to it...

That being said, I don't even know what gluten is but it tastes delicious, gluten free foods suck!

Wheat is indeed different than the original varieties but there is no actually genetically modified wheat other than in experimental plots.
If GMO wheat is approved, Montana for one will loose huge grain markets in Europe and Asia.

Hoot

WKR
"Wheat is indeed different than the original varieties..."

How many times has seed from "experimental plots" been accidentally rotated into commercial markets where gmo wheat crops were unknowingly harvested and sold into markets?

At least once that I know of without doing any research. I am not anti farming, nor am I a health nut, I actually eat pretty terribly, but it's foolish to believe that GMOs are not everywhere, 60+ years of industrial farming, who knows what's been done to our food, but I think everyone can agree it's not been a positive change in regards to health impacts...

GMO's are not a positive thing.
Just saying there is no GMO wheat approved and the restrictions on any experimental GMO wheat have been greatly tightened.
GMO 's are very prevalent in many other crops.
With soy or corn if it is not Non-GMO certified or organic, you can be sure it's GMO.

jmez

WKR
Overall diet and lifestyle have far more to do with health issues than gluten, GMO's and industrial farming.