Gluten free backpacking meals

OP
Coyote Commander
Chebe bread mixes have been great for my family when we want pizza or hamburgers with actual buns.

Some of the gluten free stuff is pretty horrible.

I love my grain products and they dont bother me one bit, but Ive been trying to not taunt my wife so much and those chebe products actually are pretty darn tasty.

OP
Coyote Commander
My wife gets bothered quite a bit by the "self imposed celiacs", the yuppy types that just plain think gluten is bad for everybody no matter what.

On the plus side to this fad, the market has really stepped in providing gluten free products, which does greatly help those that truly are affected by it.

Some good info on this thread guys!

Eagle

WKR
Some of the gluten free stuff is pretty horrible.

I love my grain products and they dont bother me one bit, but Ive been trying to not taunt my wife so much and those chebe products actually are pretty darn tasty.

I actually like cheese bread mix (just don't add the cheese) for our pizzas more than regular what pizza dough. I'm a thin crust fan and that stuff does very well with that. Same stuff is good for four burger buns if you add some baking powder to help fluff it up. Cinnamon roll mix is good stuff too.

Use that same stuff

muleman

WKR
I've been dehydrating a few GF meals for upcoming scouting trips.

Elk Roast to be added to instant GF instant potatoes or rice. Roast was left over from dinner and was cooked with , onions, A1, and Worcestershire Sauce

Diced Carrots seasoned with butter and a little brown sugar. To be added to just about any meal.

Dinner Sausage Stuffing. Stuffing was made from Canyon Bakehouse Gluten Free cinnamon rasin bread, green apples, pecans, potatoes, onions, eggs, home made chicken stock, and sausage. Be careful with sausage as most has gluten. Bread was cubed and dried in oven. Sausage was cooked in a cast iron skillet with onions and cubed potatoes. After cooking sausage and potatoes everything else was added to a 9x11 pan and baked.

Maple Cinnamon Raisin Bread with Apples
http://www.backpackingchef.com/cinnamon-toast.html
I used Canyon Bakehouse cinnamon raisin bread.

Last edited:

muleman

WKR
Went to Sportsmans Warehouse the other night and took this crappy picture. All of Alpine Aire food was labeled Gluten Free.

2013-07-05 19.48.57.jpg