Glass snob question 😁

Gallahad

FNG
I'm in the market for a new scope. Hunting mainly. I don't really have it narrowed down, but I can say this, I have had a z5 swaro. I have had a s&b klassik. Both of these scopes, to my eyes, were OPTICALLY better than any Leupold vx5, redfield, vortex razor hdlh, Nikon monarch, low end minox, MARCH (most expensive to date), and a lot of cheaper stuff I've owned. The swaro seemed to have a better eye box, but the s&b seemed to have better glass, and better build quality. I'm starting to look at meopta r2 's. I don't care about bells and whistles. I want the best, brightest, glass I can get, comfortable eye box, around 15 power on the high end. I have toyed with the idea of a fixed 8. I like German style rets. I want a 30 mil tube. without getting too close to the 2k$ mark. I'd prefer to be well below it. Best options?

sdupontjr

WKR
I'm in the market for a new scope. Hunting mainly. I don't really have it narrowed down, but I can say this, I have had a z5 swaro. I have had a s&b klassik. Both of these scopes, to my eyes, were OPTICALLY better than any Leupold vx5, redfield, vortex razor hdlh, Nikon monarch, low end minox, MARCH (most expensive to date), and a lot of cheaper stuff I've owned. The swaro seemed to have a better eye box, but the s&b seemed to have better glass, and better build quality. I'm starting to look at meopta r2 's. I don't care about bells and whistles. I want the best, brightest, glass I can get, comfortable eye box, around 15 power on the high end. I have toyed with the idea of a fixed 8. I like German style rets. I want a 30 mil tube. without getting too close to the 2k$ mark. I'd prefer to be well below it. Best options?
Schmidt Bender Polar T96 4-16x56
Bought mine Mint used for $2200. You just have to be patient, they pop up from time to time.

OP
G

Gallahad

FNG
My research lead me to believe that polar is about perfect for my application. That's an awesome price, but still darn expensive for my budget. How's the eye box compared to a klassik?

sdupontjr

WKR
About the same, I had both. Had a 2.5-10x56 Klassik and sold it. The polar was brighter and laster longer but the illumination is better on the Polar. I have the #4 dot reticle and on the lowest setting, the dot is like a pin prick so it doesn't over power your pupil. At 50, my eyes are starting to slide, so after talking to some Low Light gurus, all signs pointed to the Polar. I found it on a different forum. I would search each forum about every other day briefly when i was ready to pull the trigger. Found it and it was like the ole saying "buy once, cry once".

OP
G

Gallahad

FNG
Thanks for the info sdupontjr. I'm just starting to notice my eyes aren't great as they used to be as well! I may just keep saving up for a little while. elite, you said glass is unbelievable, compared to the 3 others you mentioned, is it a hands down winner? Also, how's the eye ox?

OP
G

Gallahad

FNG
Kinda wish I would have. It was on a rifle I sold. I have a sako with the goofy dovetails, and have 30mm rings for it already. Considered a z6, same issue $$$. Having owned a klassik, I'd rather have a Schmidt than a swaro, and prefer 30 mil tubes.

JP100

WKR
Kinda wish I would have. It was on a rifle I sold. I have a sako with the goofy dovetails, and have 30mm rings for it already. Considered a z6, same issue $$$. Having owned a klassik, I'd rather have a Schmidt than a swaro, and prefer 30 mil tubes.
Just buy another....haha Z5s are pretty 'cheap' here compared to others

Why 30mm tubes out of interest?

OP
G

Gallahad

FNG
No. Not a bit. I need a scope that is comfortable to get behing-eyebox, holds zero after it's been zeroed - not a dialer, and has exceptional glass/optical characteristics-clear, bright, sharp, color rendition, no fuzzy edge, no fish eye, etc. Any time I let a "scope expert" talk me into what I need, I got something I didn't like, or didn't fit my needs. I know what I need, and it's gonna be different for a lot of guys.

I like 30s because they are usually built stronger. Plus as I said, I have 30s on my rifle currently.

My original question (kinda) was how do meopta r2 s compare to swaro z5/s&b klassik?

Nikon Monarch 82mm is one of the best(if not THE best) spotters you can buy. Not sure if that extends to scopes but I’d trial it against your top choice if possible. Nikons glass is under rated by many. Leica is best colour wise if that’s important plus build quality and support are excellent (like Swarovski).

Marble

WKR
I had the same requirements as the OP and ended up choosing the NF NXS. I couldn't be happier.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
G

Gallahad

FNG
I know they are discontinued, but thought about a victory fl diavari as well. Haven't ever looked through one. Same for the amplus 6, and meopta r2. I don't have the capability of viewing any of these locally (by a long shot). For anyone with experience, where do these 3 stack up with klassiks or z5s?

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Sone of the brightest glass I believe you can buy is the Zeiss V8, someone correct me if I am wrong? 92% light transmission, assuming the Z6 and Z8 from Swarovski are the same. These 2 scopes have ridiculous forgiving eye box. Almost laughable have both in the safe now.

Last edited: