Give me your feedback - arrow setup

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Just built some new arrows and they seem to fly well for beginning stages. Looking for some feedback on my setup relating to consistency/reliability/performance with the guys that have experience with these products.

Easton axis 5mm cut to 28”
Easton steel half-out 75gr
G5 monotec CS 100gr

I honestly just worry a bit with the half outs because I’ve never used them before. I targeted to increase my FOC because I never hunted elk before and I’m going this year. Im at roughly 16 now.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never worried about foc. Put the arrow where it needs to be and get close to the animal are much more important imo than that 16% foc.
100% agree, just trying to put myself in the best position possible from a gear perspective.

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
I don't like half outs either,a better option would be the 75 grain brass inserts for the axis.
My next question would be how would I change at this point if I wanted to? I’ll look into that out of curiosity. Also, how reliable would the brass be compared to steel?

Are the arrows already built? If so, shoot them. There is plenty of time to tinker and change if need. You will know fairly quickly if you need to make a change. There are a ton of options in 204. However, I usually start by building three arrows so I don’t have worry about cutting and gluing issues. Good luck!

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
Are the arrows already built? If so, shoot them. There is plenty of time to tinker and change if need. You will know fairly quickly if you need to make a change. There are a ton of options in 204. However, I usually start by building three arrows so I don’t have worry about cutting and gluing issues. Good luck!
Yep, built and shooting them everyday. Just listed to some podcast and heard some reputable guys not like them for “possible” reliability issues.

4rcgoat

WKR
My next question would be how would I change at this point if I wanted to? I’ll look into that out of curiosity. Also, how reliable would the brass be compared to steel?
I have zero experience with the steel half outs, can't help there sorry. There will be others on here who will know more than I ever will,just a matter of time.
I've been using the brass inserts for about 6 years with zero issues.

You could try putting a drill bit inside the arrow and using it like a slide hammer to knock out the half-out. If that doesn't work, your only option would be to trim the arrow down. Be forewarned, it's possible to ruin an arrow trying the drill bit trick. The back end of the half-out could mushroom from the impact of the drill bit and bulge/split the arrow shaft. That's less likely to happen with a steel half-out than with a softer material, but it's still possible.

For a .204" arrow, I prefer a HIT (of any material) over any type of half-out. The strength of the HIT "system" comes more from the carbon shaft surrounding the HIT than from the HIT itself. I would have no qualms about using a brass or aluminum HIT. If you did want steel, Iron Will and Ethics Archery make stainless steel HITs.

Yep, built and shooting them everyday. Just listed to some podcast and heard some reputable guys not like them for “possible” reliability issues.
The axis are very good arrows. The half out is fine. They’re maybe better for durability. You can add a collar if worried. Iron Will, Ethics and VPA make nice collars. I’m not sure why people have made arrows so difficult. What you have there will be fine. No real reason to get all crazy on either side. Find a good flying formula and kill stuff.

Marble

WKR
I have found the tiny 5 grain Broadhead Adapter Ring (BAR) from easton does provide some prevention on splintering when impacting something hard. I just shoot them on my broadheads. 5 grains doesn't change POI.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
L

Latebloomer

Lil-Rokslider
The axis are very good arrows. The half out is fine. They’re maybe better for durability. You can add a collar if worried. Iron Will, Ethics and VPA make nice collars. I’m not sure why people have made arrows so difficult. What you have there will be fine. No real reason to get all crazy on either side. Find a good flying formula and kill stuff.
Glad you chimed in here. I really think I’ve fell in that hole as a “gear guy” like many of what’s available on the market and splitting hairs. Instead of actually focusing on just a good flying consistent arrow and practicing so I can put it where I want it, which is far more important. If I don’t kill an animal because I didn’t have a HIT insert, I think my issue was more than an insert…