Giraud Trimmer and AMP or Quick Annealer

SDHNTR

WKR
Ok, I don’t particularly enjoy reloading. I do it out of necessity. I find myself putting it off due to the time consuming nature of obtaining the level of precision I want. I’m ready to hit the bullet, but the right crap to speed up the process. I hate brass prep!

If I buy a Giraud Trimmer, what else do I need for all the various cartridges I reload for. Are there special case or shell holders needed for each one?

Same question for an AMP Annealer and/or Quick Annealer

Other than buying these two machines, what else do I need to buy to make them work?

Yes, I tried. ADD got me lost on their websites. Dumb it down for me please.

Last edited:
I dont own a giraud, so no help there but i own a henderson, which seemed like the better option when i researched it. If you get a henderson you just need different diameter cutters for each caliber you have and its stupid easy and repeatable to switch cartridges. For the AMP you just need different pilots(i think thats their term) for each cartridge. Its all on their website. Then I just label each of them and write down which aztec code to run for which brass. Its also very easy and a pleasure to use

BBob

WKR
Why bother with annealing at all? Do you want to do it because the internet tells you you have to do it? You claim you need to do it for the level of precision you want. Have you actually tested and found you have to anneal to get this precision? There are many successful BR competitor's that don't anneal. I've tested plenty for myself and for the most part I can get what I need without annealing. I know some are going to bring up case longevity. Most of my cases last a very long time without so I can't use that excuse myself. Most of this crap people want to do doesn't actually do as much of what you think it does.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Why bother with annealing at all? Do you want to do it because the internet tells you you have to do it? You claim you need to do it for the level of precision you want. Have you actually tested and found you have to anneal to get this precision? There are many successful BR competitor's that don't anneal. I've tested plenty for myself and for the most part I can get what I need without annealing. I know some are going to bring up case longevity. Most of my cases last a very long time without so I can't use that excuse myself. Most of this crap people want to do doesn't actually do as much of what you think it does.
You misread me, I meant I reload to get the level of precision I want, not necessarily anneal. But yes I have tested annealing vs not, and on one particular gun, it makes a noticeable difference. On the others, you’re right, it doesn’t. I still do it on the stuff I shoot high volume, so the brass lasts longer, but on many cartridges I reload for, I don’t bother.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Anyone used a Quick Annealer? Seems faster/easier and cheaper than the AMP actually.

If I buy a Giraud Trimmer, what else do I need for all the various cartridges I reload for. Are there special case or shell holders needed for each one?
You need a case holder for each case you want to trim - For example, I have one 6.5 creedmoor case holder for 6.5 and 6 creed trimming and one 7 saum holder than works for 7 and 6.5 saum.

You need a cutter for every caliber diameter you reload in. I.E. i use the same 6.5 cutter for 6.5x47, 6.5 creed, 6.5 saum.

I'm a giraud fan but favor seems to lean towards the henderson direction these days. Either is way better than most other options.

wapitibob

WKR
AMP has proven their annealing with hardness tests, which was the determining factor when I bought mine. I have yet to see any other anneal mfg prove their process that way. I have read the Quick Anneal forces you to watch the glow of the case neck and hit a button "at the right time" to set anneal time. If that's the case, just as well use a torch.

you've probably seen this

Last edited:
I can't comment on the Giraud trimmer as I have a Henderson, but it makes quick work of trimming and is repeatable. As others have said all you'll need are cutters for each diameter and collets for each case head family.

I would skip the Quick Anneal and get the AMP with the AMP Mate and a Dillon case feeder. At that point you'll have a fully automated set up and you'll only need to feed it cases every so often while you work on other things. I annealed around 300 6 creed cases the other week in a about an hour and a half.

Lawnboi

WKR
A Whidden click adjust ring for the giraud is a game changer.

I use both and have no regrets. The giraud can be a finicky bastard to get setup but the Whidden ring makes it pretty easy, especially if loading the same cartridge for multiple rifles

AMP has proven their annealing with hardness tests, which was the determining factor when I bought mine. I have yet to see any other anneal mfg prove their process that way. I have read the Quick Anneal forces you to watch the glow of the case neck and hit a button "at the right time" to set anneal time. If that's the case, just as well use a torch.

you've probably seen this

Interesting take. As an owner of a crude initial run annealeeze, the idea of handling ever case being annealed on an AMP was hard to stomach and the price of setting it up with a feeder is a deal breaker. The quick anneal looked appealing at first glance but to your point, is it really doing a better job than an annealeeze calibrated with tempilaq? Might be more uniform with induction than where a flame is focused?

Regardless, a progressive press setup would be a much more beneficial addition to the bench for me at this point.

wapitibob

WKR
I tried Tempilaq when I was using a torch. The issue I had was no way to isolate the flame from the lacquer. I could never trust I was getting a good reading of brass temp or flame temp. I anneal brass after every range session so single loading isn't problem. I was using a friends AMP and "come over anytime" but that's not really how that works so I just bought my own after a cpl trips. I'll never use it enough to justify the cost.

OP
S

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes. I have heard the arguments pro and con AMP versus QA. Yes, I understand that the QA requires some subjective analysis to time it right. But from what I understand, there is quite a wide range of acceptable anelaling recrystallisation. So even while the AMP may seem more precise all it does is put you within that range, which is also a range easy enough to identify visually. That’s just the argument I’ve heard.

I’ve been using a flame annealer and I’m tired of having to set it up each and every session. And even within the session the flame does not burn consistently. Pressure changes within the bottle valve position sensitivity, etc. I have also tried Tempilaq with limited success. My problem with it is green on the inside of the neck seems to give me some variability. Yellow on the top edge of the body seems to burn and then leave a coppered spot on the brass making me question it, so I end up trashing it. And sometimes it takes me several pieces to get it dialled in.

I want something that is faster and that is consistent session to session.

Lawnboi

WKR
The amp is stupid easy to use, and fast, especially with auto mode.

No templaque, no messing around. Stick the case in the hole and press a button to analyze, after that you just stick cases in the hole. It dosnt get easier and it also seems to be the pioneer of consistent annealing. I’d buy another in a heartbeat if mine died.

As for the giraud that’s where you really have to decide, cause as I see it, it’s giraud or Henderson. I have heard arguments for both, and have a giraud. Either is expensive to really get up and running with all the cutter heads and stuff. The down side of the giraud is that it can be tough on the fingers, versus the Henderson which looks a lot better in that respect. Thegiraud also sizes off the shoulder versus the the whole case in the Henderson. Some guys prefer either. Either way, 3 in 1 trimming is better than doing each step.

Between the amp, SAC dies with expanding/decapper, and my giraud, my process has gone to really only touching my brass a few times.

The amp is stupid easy to use, and fast, especially with auto mode.

No templaque, no messing around. Stick the case in the hole and press a button to analyze, after that you just stick cases in the hole. It dosnt get easier and it also seems to be the pioneer of consistent annealing. I’d buy another in a heartbeat if mine died.

As for the giraud that’s where you really have to decide, cause as I see it, it’s giraud or Henderson. I have heard arguments for both, and have a giraud. Either is expensive to really get up and running with all the cutter heads and stuff. The down side of the giraud is that it can be tough on the fingers, versus the Henderson which looks a lot better in that respect. Thegiraud also sizes off the shoulder versus the the whole case in the Henderson. Some guys prefer either. Either way, 3 in 1 trimming is better than doing each step.

Between the amp, SAC dies with expanding/decapper, and my giraud, my process has gone to really only touching my brass a few times.
Well put sir

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re shooting all Creedmoor, you can get by with the largest shell holder of the mix and use for each caliber. However, you’ll need to adjust the cutter head each time. However, I like unique shell holders and cutter heads for each cartridge. Therefore, I switch them out and I’m off to the races.

One thing the Giraud buys you is time. I haven’t found anything on my bench that is more of a time saver.