Getting ready for mountain hunt

JoeB

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve hunted out west several times so I know the importance of being in shape. In the past I’ve always biked 12-15 miles a couple times a week trying to average as close to 13mph or more as I can, Pushing it hard. Plus throw in some runs up to 3 miles every once in awhile, and some wheight training. Today a tried some high intensity type workouts and they kicked my but. Question is would the high intensity interval type training be better for mountains? Or possibly add them into my days I don’t ride the bike instead of weights? I’m 58 this fall and going on a big 8 day guided hunt so need to get the old body in best shape I can so any advice is appreciated.

!! Need to add that I’ve slowly been working up for a year now to get into better shape. I’m not starting from scratch. Been rucking from time to time with weighted pack also.

Last edited:
HIIT is awesome for HIIT
Western mountain hunting is rucking.
Specificity is king
If you you don't have big hills to ruck drag a heavy sled for a mile while wearing a heavy weight vest
Good Journey!

P Carter

WKR
This discusses your precise scenario, I think. (Minus the age component.)

It seems that the ideal plan would include a solid aerobic base, gained from months of low intensity running or hiking; high level of general strength, gained from months of general weight lifting (compound movements, etc); and specific muscular endurance, gained from specific intense sessions of uphill weighted pack carries.

Given the short time period left, it would seem to me that you could jump straight to one muscular endurance session a week of steep pack carries; build aerobic base the remaining days, either running or hiking (maybe with slightly loaded pack), with as much volume as you can safely handle, so probably just ramping up very slowly from your current volume…super important not to get injured while building; and maybe one general strength workout a week.

Good luck!