Getting Meat Back Home

MtnDunn

FNG
Hey guys,

I am going on my first cow elk hunt in WY this season with a buddy. We are planning to fly into Jackson Hole and then drive a rental into our unit. For those of y'all that have done this before, I'd like to get your thoughts on how to get meat home should we be successful. We live in the southeast.

All depends if you are trying to fly it home or ship. Normally this time of year you should be able to hang it out, let it crust up and then wrap it in a trash bag, then sleeping bag, shove it in a duffle bag and fly home. (Two checked bags for rear quarters on cow + backstrap (can also do in 1 overweight) and shoulders can be boned out & fit in roller board). All depends on how you pack. It's way too warm for that right now. High's are running in the low 70's for me ( about 45 minutes south of jackson ) You will have to find some coolers and dry ice at Brouhlim's in alpine or something and get it frozen down. I know there is processor in Thayne called the Block but I have never used them. There used to be one in afton a while back that would cut & wrap and shove in styrofoam for shipping ($$).

Mylar coated bubble wrap is your friend for this type of stuff to make sure stuff says frozen. Have not seen that in star valley usually can find that in large box hardware stores and I don't know if the home depot is open yet in jackson.

The TSA normally does not gripe about unfrozen meat in roller board but they can so just be aware. I try to have everything frozen.

Hope that helps. There's several other threads on various approaches for this.

OP
MtnDunn

MtnDunn

FNG
Wow. Good to know. I figured TSA would freak out at the idea meat in a roller box. I'll check out the bubblewrap. Thanks.