Getting horses used to game meat?

I’ve got two horses that I’d like to introduce to packing for hunts. One is a Belgian-QH cross who spent half his life as a bull pusher for his prior owner, and is now our bomb proof, try anything, go anywhere big guy (17.5h, 1850lb.) Our other guy is a halflinger who aside from being a little grain sour is also a candidate. They frequently travel, trail ride, and have seen their fair share of elk/deer up close.

I’ve heard that horses can have a negative reaction to fresh kills and/or the smell of game. Is this true? Anyone have experience helping horses get used to fresh carcasses if so?

I'm by no means an expert horseman, but I think that just consistent repetition will be your friend. I had a horse last fall that packed 5 elk. It wasn't until the last one that he seemed to put up a fuss about the quarters. I always showed him whatever I was going to put on him - be it a saddle, a pannier, or quarters into the panier. He didn't have any problems packing it in the end, but I thought it was odd that he all of a sudden got a little spooky around it.

I also have a buddy who had donkeys. One would carry anything, and the other would carry nearly anything, but hated hides. He has an amusing story where the donk bucked off the hide and bit into it and wouldn't let go for 20 minutes - fighting that hide to the death! I've heard similar stories with heads and antlers. I guess that is to say that perhaps different parts of an animal might cause different reactions. Each animal will be a bit different based on their personality would be my guess

My advice would be to take your time and try to expose them to whatever might smell that way, and then take your time when you do get them around dead game. Perhaps thawing bigger roast or other cuts and showing them to the horse might be something you could work on at the homefront.

Anytime we are hunting with a new to us horse, we just take a bunch of blood from the elk or deer and smear it all over their nostrils. Never had a problem loading one up with quarter after that.

kcormack

Lil-Rokslider
Pick up some road kill. Place it in your pasture (down wind of where your horses are hanging out) and lead them up to it.

OP
thatmountaindad
Thanks all for the advice! Living in Colorado, I am fortunate to have access to commercially available farmed elk so will definitely use a little as a training aid this summer.

I start placing hides with blood on them over the fence by the water trough, they will get thirsty and go to water eventually. Antelope hide worked the best.

rayporter

WKR
some will never get used to meat.
a mare that was really good at everything never did accept carrying meat or hides. i would hang hides on her stall and she would stand in the center of the stall and starve.

bmart2622

WKR
Once the hide is off most of the gamey smell is gone, Ive never had any problems. Break it down and put it in game bags and they have all been fine. I spend a bunch of time packing stuff in game bags before the season so they are used to it

I've been fortunate. Only had one mare that was bitchy over packing a deer. I tied it behind the saddle and rode her to camp. She was snorty but she did it.

grfox92

WKR
I've only ever heard of this with bear meat or any other predator.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk