Gerber Gator Premium gut hook

katdaddy2013

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting one. The Gator Premium is $133 and the Gator is $53. Is the Premium worth the extra $80?it

Looking at getting one. The Gator Premium is $133 and the Gator is $53. Is the Premium worth the extra $80?it

I have no idea what the Gator premium knife is but i have a folding Gator with guthook I got from Cabela’s the year before last and it was the best $20 I have ever spent for hunting equipment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerber makes pretty good stuff. I have a Gerber moment skinning knife kit that has a gut hook on one of the blades. It is fine and the gut hook works. Never carry it though, as it sits in my truck meat prep kit.

Had other gut hook knives over the years and could never figure out how to resharpen them. Tried a couple of those “zipper” type gadgets and liked them a lot. Now, I use a havalon with a gut hook blade in my kill kit or just a regular havalon blade. Actually use the havalon gut hook for opening up skin on deer legs and other places. Crazy light and mine has done 5 deer and is still sharp. Not sure I would carry a gut hook knife again.

I can't even remember how long ago I bought my Gerber folding guthook knife. Probably 15+ years? I've tried lots of knives since then, and I keep coming back to it. It's light, compact, easy to sharpen and holds an edge. Plus the guthook is darn handy and the shape of the blade is great for working the hide off quarters. It's kind of embarrassing the pile of knives I have accumulated, and that old Gerber is still the one riding in my pack.

As for sharpening the guthook, I just use a large chainsaw file. Works great but it's not needed very often at all.