Gear

wtp

FNG
Will be potentially be going on a rifle Blacktail hunt in Oregon this fall. Will be the first time out west hunting for anything. Working on lining out what gear and essentials we would need. What are the must have gear wise and then any extra luxuries that can come in handy? Thanks for any help!!

Last edited:

ZMax62

FNG
go on utube and type in elk backpack gear dump go hunt has some great ones and stone glacier also. they are fun to watch you will get a ton of ideas . Have fun on your hunt. Look at colorado hunter hiker he does a real good job..

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Are you hunting rifle or bow? If rifle, I recommend good rain gear. That time of the year can be really rainy.

Last edited:
OP
W

wtp

FNG
Are you hunting rifle or bow? If rifle, I recommend good rain gear. That time of the year can be really rainy.
Rifle, rain gear is one of the first things I started looking at lol

i like the bikini scope covers (the cheap butler creek ones) they are the only thing that keeps my scope functional always. as far as gear, it's not a very gear intensive hunt, a good pack you can easily fit your gear and a whole quartered buck, good rain gear, good scope covers (and what i mean by that is the cheapest money can buy because they work ;) ) good binos and a tripod, and the normal kill kit stuff.

if the weather is really bad, i hunt in xtratuf boots, most days i just wear zamberlans with gaiters... get in shape, of course elevation won't be an issue, but a lot of walking is the deal, most of it's pretty easy walking on gated logging roads, but covering ground is helpful. i generally don't focus on easy access stuff, i may glass on my way out, but i like those isolated areas 3-5 miles behind gates, find sign that excites me and start building a plan to kill the buck leaving big sign.

Hoodie

WKR
Blacktail hunting can be radically different depending on where youŕe doing it. You can drive or hike roads and glass clearcuts in the Coast Range, drive an hour east and hunt out of a treestand on private land in the valley, or go another hour east and backpack into some pretty gnarly wilderness for Cascade bucks.

How much you need depends on which one youŕe doing. Do you know which part of the west side youĺl be hunting? And which season?

If itś anything after early archery season or High Cascade rifle youĺl definitely want good rain gear.

OP
W

wtp

FNG
i like the bikini scope covers (the cheap butler creek ones) they are the only thing that keeps my scope functional always. as far as gear, it's not a very gear intensive hunt, a good pack you can easily fit your gear and a whole quartered buck, good rain gear, good scope covers (and what i mean by that is the cheapest money can buy because they work ;) ) good binos and a tripod, and the normal kill kit stuff.

if the weather is really bad, i hunt in xtratuf boots, most days i just wear zamberlans with gaiters... get in shape, of course elevation won't be an issue, but a lot of walking is the deal, most of it's pretty easy walking on gated logging roads, but covering ground is helpful. i generally don't focus on easy access stuff, i may glass on my way out, but i like those isolated areas 3-5 miles behind gates, find sign that excites me and start building a plan to kill the buck leaving big sign.
Thanks for the info. Got the pack and rain gear. Didn't think above scope covers. Will have to look into that

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
if you are going to hunt on the coast side hunt behind the locked gates and bring a mountain bike to cover ground it is super efficient, and keeping your gear dry as you can is gonna make life a lot easier.

DRUSS

WKR
boot dryer would be on my list. rain gear, broken in boots, solid pack if getting in off the drivable roads. lens covers are required! plenty of nice deer walked on by, due to fog or water saturated lens. Use those binos too. things seem close and thick but you will need to see the little differences of limb or leg.

Pdzoller

WKR
If hunting October or later; Dry bags for everything even if you have a 100% waterproof pack. Garmin inreach or something similar, even locals get lost every year out here. Just because it looks easy and near sea level on google earth and onX doesn’t mean anything. Most blacktail country is thicker than the Amazon with more thorns and steep as any other mountains in the west. Imagine a slip n slide with spikes.