Gear list for Dall ram trip

Hey all,

in the early stages of planning a trip to NWT/Yukon/AK and am trying to read all that I can.

Wondering if those that have went could post up their gear lists. I am going to head to Sheep Show at least for a couple of days and plan to speak to as many outfitters as I can to get a better feel of who I'd like to book with.

I'm hopeful that I can make 2025 work with the outfitter I choose so I have plenty of time, however I'm a planner and would like to have more than enough time to test everything. Plus part of the allure for me is the leadup to the hunt/excitement.

NWT/Yukon are pretty strongly in the lead at this point especially considering what all has happened to the sheep in AK recently. Hoping we have three fairly decent winters to help the populations rebound a bit before my trip!

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
You should figure out if your outfitter is likely to run base camps, spike camps, use packers, have the guide worry about the tent if you are moving around to spike camps, will they have a quality scope, should you bring a tripod, etc. You may wind up saving a lot of weight (and money) if you are going with an outfitter.

If you look at one of the websites from a respected outfitter in that region (say ravensthroat, but pick anyone that looks reliable), you'll get an idea of a list that you can assume is insufficient for solo or hunting with a buddy, but may work for a lot of the outfitter run hunts.

cbeard64

WKR
There is a thread on gear lists for 7-14 day Dall hunt dated 4/6/22 just FYI.

I agree with the above that choice of outfitter and type of hunt will be key in determining gear list. A hunt from cabins is much different than a spike out hunt. Backpack hunting is way different than horseback.

I have been sheep hunting in the Yukon twice and BC once and I will say this: 99% of people take way too much stuff. On my first hunt 16 years ago about 1/2 the stuff I brought never made it into the pack boxes for the ride to spike camp. My last hunt a month ago was a 21 day outfitted hunt and my entire duffel weighed 40 pounds - that included several items that were never intended to go on the hunt itself (soft case for rifle, plastic lockable box for ammunition, etc., etc.).

I don’t have my gear list in shareable form but they will all be similar.

Random thoughts:

Sleep system is key.
Boots/socks/foot care is paramount.
Rain gear should be quality.
If you go horseback learn the basics of riding, tack adjustment, and being comfortable around them.
I have never seen an outfitter/guide up there take the time to use a water filtration system. I finally gave up even carrying one. That’s not the best way to go from a safety standpoint but that’s the reality as I have seen it.
Get an inReach or sat phone.
Have a system to charge your electronics (solar or charging packs).
Download podcasts, books, etc. on your phone for bad weather days.
Get a cheap waterproof case for your phone.
Make sure your pack fits you comfortably and learn all its ins and outs.
Stay well hydrated at all times. This is key!
Bring cheap lightweight camp shoes.
Bring a comfort item (food, drink, whatever).
Relax and enjoy the ride!!! 😊

I agree with your choice of hunt location. I did a ton of research and could never make myself comfortable with an AK hunt. Just too many variables for an outsider to figure out with confidence IMO. It has only gotten worse over time.

Most (if not all) of the outfitters in the Yukon/NWT are reputable, skilled, and in areas where you will almost certainly get an opportunity at a good ram. Of course, that’s why you pay for the privilege.

Good luck!!

cbeard64

WKR
More random thoughts:

Get a good waterproof duffel bag.
Organize your gear and put it in dry bags by category so it will remain dry and easy to locate.
Get a quality hard rifle case.
Learn the TSA rules for transport of firearms/ammo and carry a copy.
Get a Form 4457 for your rifle and optics for the return back across the border.
Fill out (but don’t sign) your Canadian rifle permit form.
Keep extra copies of your passport, 4457, and rifle form.
Be courteous to all border officers even if they are a PITA.
Take lots of photos.
Keep phone, binocs, rangefinder, gloves, beanie, neck gaiter, and spare ammo all within reach (bino chest pack and waist belt pack pockets are key for this).
Don’t ever drop your pack until you are setting up to shoot a ram.
Expect the unexpected and go with the flow.

I apologize if you know all this but just thinking of things I wish someone would have told me before my first sheep hunt. 😊

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
More random thoughts:

Get a good waterproof duffel bag.
Organize your gear and put it in dry bags by category so it will remain dry and easy to locate.
Get a quality hard rifle case.
Learn the TSA rules for transport of firearms/ammo and carry a copy.
Get a Form 4457 for your rifle and optics for the return back across the border.
Fill out (but don’t sign) your Canadian rifle permit form.
Keep extra copies of your passport, 4457, and rifle form.
Be courteous to all border officers even if they are a PITA.
Take lots of photos.
Keep phone, binocs, rangefinder, gloves, beanie, neck gaiter, and spare ammo all within reach (bino chest pack and waist belt pack pockets are key for this).
Don’t ever drop your pack until you are setting up to shoot a ram.
Expect the unexpected and go with the flow.

I apologize if you know all this but just thinking of things I wish someone would have told me before my first sheep hunt. 😊
Oh, the dry bags for gear thing is key - not sure why it doesn't get called out more

OP
Jacob Chapman
I should say this is my first guided hunt, and my first trip North. Also I’ll be bowhunting.

Dry bags is a great idea, and again I’m a complete noob to this type of hunt so everything helps!

I’ll also check out the prior thread!

cbeard64

WKR
Yet more random thoughts:

Duct tape can fix a lot of problems.
A puffy jacket in your sleeping bag stuff sack makes a great pillow.
Taking Aleve or Advil mornings and evenings sure helps with soreness/nagging pains.
Trash bags are useful for many jobs.
Trekking poles are a big help and using the straps to cross the handles together makes a good rifle/binocular rest.
If you have hills or mountains to hike on there is no better preparation than hiking with your boots and a weighted pack.

You are more brave/dedicated than me. I bowhunt a lot also but could never bring myself to commit to an archery sheep hunt. Again, I wish you the best of luck.

You are right: one of the best parts about an adventure hunt is the preparation and anticipation. My hunt this year was postponed twice due to Covid and I think that ended up being a blessing on a number of fronts.

I’ll try to shut up now and let others weigh in….

schmalzy

WKR

Made a few modifications but pretty close to what I took. Backpack trip in the Wrangells.

Since you have some time I’d strongly recommend doing some test runs with your gear on some local overnights. Made a big difference for me. Also a good opportunity to try a number of different backpack meals to see what you like and don’t like.

I’m excited for you. Without a doubt a high point in life for me. Have thought about it every day since I got home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to hunt in 2025, you may want to start talking to outfitters now, rather than wait for the Sheep Show. One in the NWT was booked for 2025 and only had two sheep hunts available for 2026 as of about 2 weeks ago.

I should say this is my first guided hunt, and my first trip North. Also I’ll be bowhunting.

Dry bags is a great idea, and again I’m a complete noob to this type of hunt so everything helps!

I’ll also check out the prior thread!
There aren't a lot of outfitters that are taking bowhunters anymore, so you may have a tough time finding one that does. A lot of hard core bowhunters end up taking a ram with the rifle or giving up on the bow very early in the hunt. Just know that ahead of time.

Snyd

WKR
OTC Anti-Diarrhea and RX Anti-Nausea if you can get some. Could mean the difference between a down day or two or pulling the plug on the hunt. I've had to give mine to two buddies on two different hunts to deal with the squirts from both ends. If you can't hydrate and keep food down the hunts over.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Lots of good advice here. I’ll add you need to take a lot less than you think and I’d be much more inclined to take my Grandpa’s 7mag on my first sheep hunt than my bow.

kaboku68

WKR
Don Martin at Ultima Thule Outfitters has a very good track record with bowhunters. It takes a while to get on their list but it would be worth it. Thor Stacey also does bowhunters.